Dry brushing appears to have become a shareable buzzword recently. I came across the phenomenon on Pinterest and was quite interested in learning more. At first sight, the idea of brushing your skin with harsh looking brushes and no water sounds crazy. The benefits though... they say it makes for smoother and fresher skin, is good even for people with sensitive skin and even helps the body detox somehow (something to do with lymph). My curiosity has been peaked. I'd be more likely to use it on my body, less risk of irritation I'd say, but you can do it on your face too I've heard and of course my face is where the dry patches are. 

So those are the pros (perhaps there are others?), but what are the cons of this technique? There have got to be some, right? Also if you do dry brushing for your face yourself, please share your experiences?

Dry brushing your face can be amazing. It stimulates blood circulation, gets rid of the dead skin that's making you look dull and gray, and leaves you with soft and vibrant looking skin. I can't believe I only tried it recently. Shame I didn't know about dry brushing years earlier. Anyway the key is to look for a brush designed for the face. Body brushes are too harsh for your face. Try a jute brush like the one made by bodecare (which I have) for instance.

Dry brushing is more popular for the body than for the face, but when done right it can increase cell turnover and just create a great look.

You need to use gentle upward movements as you brush, moving up from the chin, systematically, to all of your face. Do put gentle pressure but not too much. Especially be cautious when you first start doing it and do not do anything that hurts the skin. Watch some videos on correct technique, which there are quite a few of. You only do it a few times a week and for less than a minute to start off with.

People who already have some experience with dry brushing for their body but have never used dry brushing on their face should be aware that different brushes are needed, with less pressure applied, and also you are supposed to do it less often. Dry skin for instance should only be brushed twice a week, with oilier skin maybe three times a week. Body brushing is always in the direction of the heart, for face brushing there are maps online what movements you should be using. It can be very beneficial but informing yourself in advance is key.

I switched to dry brushing for my face after having used the Clarisonic for a good while, and found that after getting used to the manual techniques, which are more complicated than Clarisonic instructions, my face actually looks better than it did before while using the Clarisonic. I never used the Clarisonic for makeup removal anyway, just for toning and more radiant skin. I like that I can control the pressure and movements better and am impressed with the smooth look my skin has attained. My Clarisonic mostly sits in a cupboard now.

Celebrity

This doesn't appeal to me! Dry brushing for the body, perhaps, but brushing my skin without any cosmetic products really doesn't appeal to me! I want to infuse my skin with moisture, and no matter what the dry brushing advocates say, something that does not actually contain moisture can't do that for my skin. Using an electric facial brush with creams makes more sense, and I did actually try the Clarisonic as well (it was too harsh for my skin). So if that does not work, WITH creams, than why would dry brushing? The procedure is actually quite complex as well, and I would be afraid of doing something wrong. 

Rosie