Since i had my daughter a year ago i get horrible pain in my right shoulder every time I drink liquor. It only takes about 10 mins for the pain to start and is brought on by as little alcohol as a shot. The pain is also in my stomach but that comes after the shoulder pain. Please if u have any idea what could b happening please tell me.

Hi Evaline,
I am 27 and I get a pain after I drink my first sip of alcohol also! Its been happening for years I get a pain across my shoulder blades and
it lasts normally about 10 -15 minutes! Im not sure what it is but I have been reading some helpful posts and there are lots of people having the same problem.I havent seen anyone having the problem after pregnancy but some people reckon its the type of alcohol thy drink for example I drink mainly wine and vodka and it hapens with both of those! I dont know why it happens but maybe its a slight allergy to the drink or maybe its drinking on a stomach thats not had enough food before drinking! Another thing you could look at is hodgkins disease .Its rare but it is a symptom of it.

In case anyone else comes across this thread while googling "shoulder/neck pain induced by alcohol," I want to add some information about the unique link between alcohol induced neck pain and Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes (as the last poster mentioned). I had this alcohol pain in 2006 and couldn't find an answer for 9 months. Eventually I was diagnosed with stage II cancer. I am healthy today but always trying to help others to avoid waiting so long to figure it out.

Pain in the neck, back, or chest that starts after drinking a small amount of alcohol and then subsides within a half hour--- is a very rare but very specific symptom of Hodgkin's. The good news it that its usually a very early symptom if that's what it is. The other good news is that Hodgkin's, while very serious, has a very high cure rate.

Other symptoms (although you may not have them --I didn't) could be night sweats, fever, unexplained weight loss, or a hard swollen lymph node (clavicle area, groin, neck).

Here is a medical article explaining the symptom (be sure to click through to the 2nd page as well, where it described the symptom). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1010854/?page=1

Ask your doctor about running some tests.Typically blood work and ultra sounds are not enough. A chest x-ray would be a good place to start but a biopsy (surgical not needle) is the only way to get a definite diagnosis.