Hi, I have had this problem for since I started drinking mildly. My throat burns up and sometimes feels like it is closing up. I get no other symptoms other then that. Would this be simply an allergic reaction?

I have had the same problem. However, it only occurs with beer. You may be having an alergic reaction to barley.

Have just answered a similar question on yahoo answers and have linked your two questions cos it sounds like u might be having similar problems. See:
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070311113843AA1O03n&r=w#RLt4U1PFFWxRewlaVBIJ

Hopefully it is just something like an allergy but I do want to just mention that if you have pain immediately after drinking alcohol I do think you should see a doctor as it is a very rare symptom of Hodgkin's lymphoma. I don't want to freak you out as, like I said, it is very rare and more likely that you are just reacting to something in the alcohol, but felt I needed to mention it just in case. There are a couple of sites that you might find useful:

ubb-lls.leukemia-lymphoma.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000904.html

pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1010854&blobtype=pdf

Hope this helps and that the problem is sorted out soon.