i am quite a heavy drinker, and i know that is a problem i am facing, but recently i have woken up after going out at night to find my armpit and sometimes my groin glands to be swollen and painful. they never swell when i don't drink. could it possibly be a direct effect of my alcohol consumption? i would appreciate the feedback.

Hi.
I would suggest you to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. Especially if you have other symptoms such as night sweats, weight loss, itching all over your body.
Swollen and painful lymph nodes after alcohol consumption could be a sign that you have Hodgkin's disease/lymphoma. This symptom accompanied with the pain in affected lymph glands after drinking alcohol usually occurs in about 1 of 10 cases, but it could be almost positive sign of the disease.
Alchohol consumption is putting stress on the lymphatic system which is part of the body's blood cleansing system. This means that if the lymph system is weakened by lymphoma, drinking may cause pain in the affected areas or just swelling.
Hodgkin's lymphoma has very good prognosis if discovered early and if the treatment starts immediately after the diagnosis.
Your doctor will give you the right diagnosis and treatment options, but you shouldn't wait.
Good luck.

Always great to see people spreading the word about the unique link between alcohol pain and Hodgkin's.

However, I would offer some peace of mind here in that the alcohol pain symptom happens IMMEDIATELY upon having a few sips of alcohol, not the next day.

Another clarification is that people who develop the alcohol pain symptom of Hodgkin's often have no other symptoms. The ones you mentioned are typically later stage symptoms IF they are experienced at all.

You have swelling on one side of my groin two days after drinking the swelling has gone down a bit but still see its swollen after two weeks