I have a friend with abdominal problems, and he is only 30 years old. I know he complains all the time about something, so he visited a doctor. After he has done some researches and exams, he is diagnosed with some ileum disease. I know that should be some part of intestines, but I cannot understand anything more. Can you help me telling anything about this anatomic part called ileum?

In anatomy of the digestive system, the ileum is the final section of the small intestine. It is about 4m long in humans. You need to know also that ileum follows the jejunum and duodenum, and is separated from the cecum by the ileocecal valve. The pH in the ileum is usually between seven and eight, which means that is neutral or slightly alkaline.
Its function is to absorb vitamin B12 and bile salts, so it is understandable there are many problems ileum can cause. The wall itself made up of folds with many tiny finger-like projections known as villi. The ileum has an extremely large surface area both for the adsorption of enzyme molecules and for the absorption of products of digestion. The cells that line the ileum contain the protease and carbohydrase enzymes. These enzymes are responsible for the final stages of protein and carbohydrate digestion. The villi contain large numbers of capillaries, which take the amino acids and glucose produced by digestion to the hepatic portal vein and the liver, which is also important role of ileum. The ileum differs from other regions of the small intestine in its lymphoid tissues and Peyer's patches.