I am a 38 year old RN and just had tonsils out last Friday. I still cannot believe I planned this and within the month finally did it. If you count surgery day I am now on day 5. I have a 1.5 and 3.5 year old and fortunately my husband is on vacation to help for 3 weeks. The day of surgery was the easy day as well as Saturday. I took my liquid pain med every 4 hours (when it was prescribed every 4-6) because I needed it to remain comfortable. I drank it with water for dilution because the alcohol in the med burns my throat. I think the past 3 days have been the worst. I am not that hungry, but the pain is intolerable when it is hour 3 of the 4 hour window for pain meds. I wanted everyone to know that the yellowish rubber like "scabs" are eschar tissue which in wound care is a top layer of dead tissue that needs to come off as the tissue underneath heals. I find that the mornings are by far the worst time upon awakening as my mouth dries out and causes it to hurt everywhere. I take pain med first thing when I wake up and sit on the tubside and slowly drink 32 ounces of ice water so that I can get a lot of fluid in when starting the day. I find that taking your pain med and then getting comfortable allows you to hydrate and eat as you need to. My tongue was clamped as I can still see the tongue clamp marks on my tongue. I had a really swollen uvula and tongue after surgery and it wasn't until last night that I could actually lie back in bed without having my whole airway closed off. Frustrating to not be able to lie back in bed and read or watch TV without easy breathing. I have slept on my left side since having the surgery. I am taking stool softeners to avoid the awful post op narcotic induced constipation. I made strawberries, prune juice, banana and sherbet in the blender this morning thinking that would be great. It was hellish as the acid in the drink felt like liquid fire in my whole mouth. I had to take maalox liquid to coat my entire oral cavity. The doctor said after surgery that my left tonsil was pretty bad. I never had strep in my life, nor chronic tonsillitis, but had holey swiss cheese like tonsils that trapped white chunks in them. I could taste them often when they would sit in the tonsils and would pick them out with some rigged up dental tool. I also felt run down a lot which is just a bummer for a normally high energy person. Everything always seemed to go to my throat and usually it was viral. I had the first sinus infection ever last month prior to this surgery and decided that maybe tonsils gone would be better. So, wish these posts had a year later feature to see how everyone is doing after the acute pain and hardship. I cannot wait to get better and start measuring the success of this experience. Hope you are all well and ask questions.......they help paint the picture for us!!!!

well good luck with your recovery! I'm on day 7 and only recently has it become painful for me to talk. Like my throat and my vocal cords HURT when i try to talk. do you know if this is normal/how long it lasts?

I saw "stool softeners" and thought, "What a great idea!" I almost popped a few in my mouth, too, until I realized they are horse pills! Not bloody likely to get those down, no sirree! :-)