I am a 26 year old female and I had tonsillitis a few weeks back so I went to my doctor and told her that I was sick. I showed her my tongue which is coated white and it was a little white underneath. She said she didn't see where my tonsils or throat was red she took a culture for yeast and it was negative. I was stressed at the same time because I had found out that my hubby cheated on me so I was having problems with my stomach (I haven't been with him since july of last year). She said that my thyroid was swollen and she took some blood at the time of my physical exam. She said my bloodwork was normal I had my tonsils taken out like maybe 4 weeks ago, but today I developed a sore throat, but it only hurts mainly on the left side and it was the same when I got them taken out it hurt mainly on the left side. I don't have a fever or loss of appetite or sweating or anything so far and I didn't even have a fever or sweating when I had tonsillitis, but I'm worried that my hubby gave me HIV or something because I read on a website that it could cause tonsillitis and white coating on your tongue and it can cause you to have things like hpv which I also had an abnormality on my gyn exam and they had to do a biopsy. I hadn't had a physical in 8 yrs and that was my first obgyn exam. Not to mention I lost like 10 pounds, I know it's not looking good for me.

I had my tonsils taken out on November 2nd, because I was getting strep every 3-5 weeks. :-P But, I have had no pain or anything bothersome from my throat until these past few days. I was exposed to someone who was the flu, so it may be the cause. It feels like they just took my tonsils out ... still. I lost 28 pounds during my surgery and I was only 15 at the time. I also had the whole white tongue going on but it was an oral yeast infection. I would suggest going back to a general physician for a rapid strep culture - I am. I also ended up going to the ER for malnourishment and having only 30% of the liquids in my body that were necessary. They counted that as my follow up. If you havent had a follow up appt. yet, and if its near, wait to tell your otolaryngologist and maybe you're still having side effects of the surgery. I did for 2 months. If not, go to the doctor before the strepor std gets worse. Hope this helped. :-)

HIV breaks down your immune system giving opportunist infections a chance to take over. That white coat in your mouth would BE yeast, its not some random white stuff that just pops up from HIV- I'd say ask for blood work, an STD panel including HIV, to ease your mind and when it comes back negative get a thyroid panel. Swollen thyroid and lose of weight = over active thyroid. Sounds like graves to me.

:-) hope you feel better.