Hello, I was aware how much alternative medicine is used in the world. I recently came back for one long voyage...long story but I had accident and I was treated in unconventional way. I am 20 years old and I didn't know much about it. However, it helped me a lot. I would like to know what the main differences between alternative and conventional medicine are. Thanks.

Many things set alternative medicine apart from allopathic medicine. Different types of alternative medicine have been used around the world for centuries. Anyway conventional medicine is preferred in the treatment of trauma and emergencies while alternative medicine excels in the treatment of chronic disease, although homeopathy can also be very effective as a first-aid. Also conventional medicine focuses on the relief of symptoms and rarely places emphasis on prevention or the treatment of the cause of a disorder, but alternative strive to find and treat the cause of a disorder and frown on covering up the symptoms. So, alternative therapies are also much more focused on prevention. So, see two different approaches!