I am so glad I found this!!! I have bitten the inside of my cheeks until they bleed really badly and my face swells up for years.... I have always had lots of anxiety and bit my nails.. It just hit me when I stopped drinking 5 years ago is when I started chewing on my lip again....I grind my teeth too especially in my sleep... did not know I had been doing this forever until I saw the dentist a year ago. So I got the mouthpiece made so I don't grind my teeth at night(400) and that helps a lot but I am really bad about not wearing it. I need to make a pact with myself that I have to wear it at night. It is like wearing a retainer when you get your braces off... it is hard to talk with it and I hate having it in my mouth. But I have got to do it again at night from now on.

I am going to look into the Bonnie Bell lip gloss. I have  tried Body Butter from Body Shop for lips... but it seems to always get in my mouth(yuck). I think what I might try is putting tabasco on my lower lip. I need it to heal, it looks awful and my lips are WHITE. So I must do it. I will say that . I used to chew on pens too. I had a shrink who had my put a rubber band on my wrist for something else and snap it when I wanted to do that behavior. For some people this works.

I have gone as far as to take a sheet of paper dry clothand run it along the inside of my lips an cheeks applying pressure with my fingers to dry-scrape the stuff inside. The paper hardens stiffly and whateer cloth i use is left with a white stain, symilar to jizm. I feel bad because in afraid of what it my feel like for someone to kiss me. Its something im always self conscious of. I feel like im f*****g gross. Its left my mouth ugly on the inside, and i feel the same

I also do the same thing. It's just a habit that most people pick up over the years. I started awhile back with just biting the sounds of my mouth, buts over the years it's got to the point where I would press my finger to my cheek to bite more and if I can't get the butting that I want, I use my fingernails. It's just a habit or stress that's causing you to do this, just have to over come something that's been going on over a certain amount of years, it just like stop smoking. It's hard cause its addictive, but you will eventually stop if you put the effort to it and notice when your doing it stop

Your pretty right!!!!!!!!!

when I was little girl I saw my dad biting his cheeks, so a couple weeks later or so I was in the car with my family, I looked outside the window and started to feel inside my cheek with my tongue. I bit my right cheek... And that's what started this AWFUL habit. after that..EVERY DAY I would bite my cheeks. my mouth would hurt from the biting. obviously. but I just couldn't stop!. Years passed by and still I'd b biting my cheeks!. everyday was a struggle. in middle skool it started to get worse.. I'd start biting EVERYWHERE around my mouth. before that I would just bit in the center of my cheeks. I would constantly bit my cheeks and LIPS! Uggggh. My lips would look so horrible! I could never put on lipstick or lipgloss. it honestly took a tool on me. I didn't want to do anything cuz of my mouth. I didn't want to get up in the morning, do stuff with my family and friends, or even eat. idk I just i felt ashamed of wat I was doing to myself. I felt ugly. I didn't feel pretty. I would feel around my mouth and all I would feel was my shredded cheeks

I am Shocked that there are so many others that do this! Its a hard habit to break. I have lupus and am a long time nail biter. Had acrylic nails put on to help stop that and started biting my cheek when I couldn't chew my nails! Thanks all for sharing!

I can't believe there are others out there who have this problem,I'm not 15 and I've been doing it for three years,whenever I'm out in public I get stressed and start chewing on my lower lip, I found out in this thread that it can cause cancer....I guess I'll try chewing gum to see if it helps. It really means a lot to know I'm not alone.

I am 15,sorry about the typo

I do this as well. It comes and goes. I notice that when I don't have "sores" to bite and my cheeks are smooth, I don't bite my cheeks for a period of time (could be months) - until there is a spot my tongue feels, then it starts all over again until I get grossed out, fed up and make myself stop.
I don't feel like it's from nerves or stress, as I am not that way.
I tend to do it when I am inactive physically. At my computer, watching TV or driving.
To stop I have to be conscious about it. Keep my teeth closed, chew gum, etc. until all the spots heal smooth.
I also worry about it. It looks horrible, wrinkles around my mouth from pulling at my face to get at a spot, constant sores, etc. But it's a habit I have had since I was little - I am now 45. I also make sure all the sores have time to heal before a dentist appointment so I don't have to hear him/her talk to me about it...
I'm actually relieved to hear other people do this. I've never noticed anyone doing it before.

Hello everyone, I've been a cheek/mouth/lip biter since I was a young child.  There are so many "by product" issues that result from this behavior that I've finally decided it's time to overcome the habit.  I got a mouth guard from the dentist and I'm wearing it every day (mostly all day). I'm on day 7 and it's working.  My urge to bite has been dramatically reduced and, as each day passes, I become calmer and stronger.  Give it a try and good luck!

Wow. I, too, am so relieved that I'm not the only freak cheek biter out there! :)

At the dentist today I was so nervous about the sore I had chewed last wkend.

My dentist has noticed the ulcers before. I have to scramble to come up with an 

explanation.  No quick fixes here. I just focus and try to stop myself. Good luck to all 

My husband thinks I'm the only one in the world who does this! I bite until I bleed and it hurts, then keep on biting! My father did it, and I guess it just passed down. I started as a young child, now I see myself doing it chronically. Stress related, I assume. My 2 week old niece just passed away and the inside of my mouth is ground to nothing. Bahhhh... I'm so glad I'm not alone!!

I've had this problem for as long as I can remember (30+ years?).  I even use my finger to push my cheek or lip against my teeth so I can bite it more.  I do think it's related to stress and anxiety.  It's just like any other habit like finger nail biting.  I also think it may have been the cause of my needing a root canal and crown and also for the cracking of my jaw when I eat because when I bite I usually focus on one side most of the time.  In my opinion, the best thing to do is try to reduce the stress in your life...never tried the gum chewing.  

I do the same thing!

I think it's a reaction to anxiety. I have been biting my lips for a few years, and I have also been suffering from bad anxiety for a few years also. I think the more you bite your lips, the more anxiety builds which just causes a vicious cycle of biting your lips even more.

I know that for me, smoking and drinking alcohol gives me very bad anxiety. When I quit these, I was a very calm person and did not do silly things like bite my lips. I also think regular exercise is very good, like brisk walking, to beat anxiety. Anxiety is like a irrational fear, you feel edgy or fearful for no apparent reason, just not at peace with yourself, you may have breathing problems also. We are anxious for reasons we don't know, and we bite our lips for reasons we don't know. They go together.

If you suffer from bad anxiety that is causing emotional problems in your life, like me. Then do yourself a favor, if you smoke, stop. You may think smoking is calming you down, but it's one of the main causes of your daily anxiety. Once you get over the withdrawal and cravings when you quit. A time that can cause extreme anxiety. You will balance out and feel less anxiety. Just give it a few months, ride the wave, and you will feel much calmer on average from day to day and have a sense of well being.

Also cut down on coffee, tea, and if you drink alcohol cut it down or stop drinking alcohol. I have severe anxiety spikes in the following days after drinking alcohol. My anxiety from smoking and drinking can get so bad I can be awake until 4am with breathing problems, feeling panicked for no reason at all. 

The best way to beat anxiety, and beat your lip biting addiction is to lead a healthy lifestyle, don't smoke, don't drink much or any alcohol, and get regular exercise, such as walking or aerobics which are the best for anxiety problems. In 2-3 months you should start to feel a lot better if you do these things. Anxiety can cause a lot of suffering , and make you feel like you are losing your mind, but turning to things like cigarettes and alcohol to beat the anxiety is only making it far worse and can lead to constant mental and physical problems. Lip biting is just a pretty harmless reaction to increased anxiety. In my opinion.