HOW I STOP: When I notice myself beginning to chew I tear off a piece of paper towel, and fold it several times until it's about an inch square, and place it between my lip and teeth. Once I have something preventing me from chewing I normally stop for a while. I find that with gum I'll subconsciously just shove it in my cheek so I can keep chewing my lip. I will use that method if I'm in a public place where having paper in my mouth would look weird, but I'll usually just flatten the gum and use it like the paper towell, instead of chewing it.I've been chewing for as long as I can remember. I've literally chewed through my lower-lip once in middle school, to give you an idea of it's severity. I also suffer from trichotillomania (pulling out my eyebrows and eyelashes), which is another compulsive behavior disorder. I found that all conditions were lessened when I was taking anxiety medications.

this sounds exactly like me i always want it to be smooth and the more i bite the less smooth it gets. I also use my fingers to push my cheeks forward so i can reach it with my teeth. It is an addiction for me and I'm trying to quit so I find myself chewing pens and biting the skin around my nails which is also not good. I always want something to do with my mouth.

I bite the skin on the inside of my mouth occasionally but nothing really deep..  today after an adderrall binge i chewed a tiny whole about to size of a .177 BB in my lower cheek / lip and i think what are fat vesicles are squeezing through the little whole.  i can push them back in through the whole with my tongue but they slowly come back out.  What the hell do i do.  i feel like it won't heal because the fat things constantly stick through the hole just a little bit and i can't stop playing with it.  Should i gargle with saltwater and peroxide or do i need stitches or what? HELP!

I don't do it out of nervousness or stress. I just DO it. I'm doing in right now as I'm sitting at my work desk. I do it when watching a movie or sports. It's just a habit. But it DOES need to stop.

**No one seems to address the fact that when you're biting so much, the skin area around the mouth on the OUTSIDE gets fairly irritated/red. I'm always afraid it will be permanently stained, but it seems to go away. The visible irritation (it doesn't actually itch or bother physically) does stay for a few days at a time.

***Another myth I was hoping to put to rest/find more info on is if all this biting has led to my facial skin to grow droopy and saggy. Anyone else feel they have this problem? Or maybe my facial skin is just really stretchy. And I mean STRETCHY.

I have the same issue and its becoming a problem.. I pick and bite and the skin around my nails also my cheeks and lips... I need assistance with this issue.. help if u can

Hi I do this a lot whenever I have stress. It's something people do when they have anxiety. Like, right now I'm doing it and I can't stop! Previously what I've done is I would numb it with ice. Numbing it distracted me from it for a bit and I definitely didn't bite it as often. Hope that helps :)

Do you have any jaw pain or neck pain? It can be related and may help you to want to relieve that pain. .

I was looking this up. I typed in I'm addicted to chewing my mouth and lips. I remember doing this when I was very little. I'm 23 now. My dad told me once ehen I was probably 8ish that if I dong stop ill have ugly old lady lips lol. I get picked on at work people laugh and have made fun of me because I don't realize how intencely I'm chewing. All over my mouth there is not one spot I don't bite and I only stop when someone notices, I get embaressed but go back to it. At work I can't pick at my lips but when I'm home I do it none stop. My things are I chew the inside of my mouth. My lips. And pick at my lips and tare the skin off. I try to stop specially if I had a new bf or had an interview ya know but I can't at all. My dentist asked me if I can stop I'm on meds for panic disorder but I don't think anything will help other then maybe hypnosis to be honest. I have never talked about this much so sry I'm writing a book.

I've met two other people who have this. Each of us also has the habit of using our fingers to push the cheek around and off to the side to get harder to reach areas. It was when my friend and I first caught each others eyes while both doing it, that we realized how strange it looks to people who have no idea what you are doing. That thought makes it easier to stop in social situations.

at home, I find myself doing it more when I am stressed, or deeply concentrating on a project. Once I realize I've been doing it for an hour, it's hard to stop even though I'm now aware I'm doing it. 

Ihave premature lines on my mouth from doing it, and am 26 years old. I have bn told I started it when I was about 4. 

Oh my goodness. I'm freaking out. I ran into a pic that said that biting the skin around your nails and biting your lips are signs of anxiety disorders. Well I do both. So I searched signs of anxiety disorders. I have met up to them all. I don't want to ask my mom because she thinks that if someone else has something I think I have it. But that's not true. I'm dead serious about this. I also noticed. All of you are adults. Is it normal for a kid to have anxiety  disorders. I'm only in middle school. Somebody please answer if you can!!!!! Thank you!

I can't remember when I started doing it it's always been my bottom lip. I used to do it till it bled and even the. I wouldn't stop. I've had a lot of anxiety and stress especially at a young age. When I turned 16 an had got in an abusivr relationship I started causing blisters to form and while at the doctor he told me I bite my lip and it's an anxiety stress reliever I honestly didn't even know I had been doing it that bad. Aquaphor makes the blisters go away and stop the biting for a few minutes till it rubs off. I wish I could stop my husband hates it and I hate walking around with a sore or scab on my lip it's so embarrassing. Especially if I have a blister it makes people thing other things.

Very normal i have had anxiety since a young age. I'm only 20 now and I still suffer from anxiety when I was in middle school I had a anxiety attack in the middle of the hall way so you're not alone. Hope I helped you :)

My daughter who is now 9 has been biting inside her cheeks, inside her lips and the sides and tip of her tongue until the are raw and bleeding since she was in preschool. We have tried candy, stress balls,elastics, toothpicks,straws,gum..etc..nothing works..we have been to therapy also. She asked me to look it up on the internet again to see if anyone might have some new suggestions.

What about us teenagers who already are trying to quit? I'm not allowed to have gum in school, nor do I even like it. My lip is swollen right now, I've been biting so much. I started around when I stopped sucking my thumb in 3rd grade, which I suppose is later than some of you, but it's already too much for me. I do it more when I'm stressed, bored, annoyed, alive... I basically bite my lip constantly. How is it not noticeable to my friends though? My friends point out awkward things; they must not have noticed it. But I generally hold a hand to my mouth as I do it, and I've used a mirror to see how obvious it is, and considering that my mouth twists sideways, how come people never notice my habit? But anyways, enough with the random questions. How do I quit without using gum, or mints, or something in my mouth? The retainer I used to have worked, but that's gone, so I'm stuck.

My boyfriend told me I tend to bite my lips and cheeks until they bleed and I'm spitting the blood and pulled off skin out . He points it out quite often and it generally only occurs when I'm in a stressful situation or over thinking something I shouldn't be fully worrying about .. When I was younger , it started out as chewing my hair , then went to scratching , then to chewing my fingers (nails) as well , when I finally stopped all of those , I began picking at my skin or sores , or pulling the skin off of my lips . With each one of those I realized I was doing it , but with the lip biting , I don't even notice it until someone catches me doing it , which leads to a split and sores from the inside of the bottom of my lips all the way to the outside of them . If any of you have any tips on how to catch it , or stop it , that would be completely helpful .

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use