I stopped when I got braces.  Now that they're off...I'm back at it.

So I started to sleep in the retainers and that helps.

Otherwise I don't know how to stop.

'Living Survivor' probably comes as close to the truth as we are gonna get, fellow chewbaccas. This habit is anxiety-laden.  To alleviate the anxiety, it must be faced, then experienced before it can gradually lessen.  This horrible process will likely need to be repeated several times until it is effective.  I wonder if writing in a journal about the anxiety that troubles us will expose it, making it manageable?  It surely is worth a try.  Anything is better than wasting time, energy and a healthy jaw on catching myself chewing...again and again.  My tongue biting still keeps my mouth still.  But it creates a new issue.  Thank goodness I found a site that allows me in, to write, and to find replies to those writings!

I have the exact same problem! I started when I was around 5 or 6 and now I'm 18!! I kinda figured it was stress related. What I suggest is to chew gum. It's a good stress reliever and takes my mind off things. It's a healthier alternative to smoking (: I also suggest excercising or something as easy as juggling a soccer ball will help.

I have the same problem also. I thought its just a habit. But now I know its a sign of anxiety. I think its really on us if we know how to control ourselves. Because once I started biting my lips its really hard to stop. Unless I try to tell myself to really stop.

You could try smiling :D ive started to try it and so far it has worked for me. every time you start to bite your cheek, smile, it pulls them away from your teeth.

Glad to know I'm not alone. I've been doing this for many years. Sometimes it gets really bad when I'm trying to sleep, I even tried one of those mouth guards but it was to uncomfortable to sleep with. As many of you say on here, gum actually does help but sometimes it doesn't, I do find if it gets really bad I clench my teeth on something, like my finger or something solid like plastic until the urge goes away.

It is amazing to know how many others have suffered from this problem.  I am 59 years old and right now I am having the worst problem with chewing the inside if my lips that I can remember.  I too have been doing this as long as I can remember.  The odd thing is my older sister and my adult daughter struggle with it too.  This made me wonder if it could in any way be hereditary, but the problem with anxiety being hereditary makes more sense.  I guess the biting is an outward manifestaction of the inward anxiety.  I have tried making myself aware when I start and forcing myself to stop, but that isn't working.  I've tried chewing gum, but I get tired of the gum, get rid of it, and before I realize, I'm chewing again.  I've tried lip balm, though not Dr. Pepper, to no avail.  I do have a great deal of anxiety in my life through my work, and I don't see that ending any time soon.  I do take anxiety medication but doesn't help with this.  So all solutions you find I'm interested in trying.   Thanks!

I do the exact same thing. But I'll actually continue to bite while I can taste the blood. Ive been doing this since I was young. Im going to talk to my doctor and see what he recommends.

Paxil might help

I am a psych major and someone else mentioned oral fixation.  As a person who has suffered from this lip biting for maybe 25 years, I know this habit definitely arises from anxiety/worry.  It's funny I had stopped biting my lip for a couple years in my early 20s, but it came back full force.  I guess we find other ways of coping with our anxiety or sometimes revert back to old ways.  Someone had mentioned to use that anxiety/worry energy elsewhere and I will try and run to clear my mind too rather than bite away my worries.  In the past I had bitten my lips so raw that I would get these clearish scabs in my mouth with green mucus on the edges and I would ::close your eyes and cover your ears:: even peel those off.  To be honest, since we have this habit and it's so self soothing, we don't even feel the pain.  So, biting those sores felt even better...but not when I had something salty or spicy :(  I am now on medication and it works wonders.  Helps me focus with school, work, and daily life.  But meds can help only so much, you have to focus on ways (one step at a time) rather than tear away at your body :(  Actually typing that had helped me somewhat.  So, maybe journaling and posting threads (helping others) may help.  :)  Good luck all.  I hate this biting shiz as much as the next lip biting sufferer, but I still am lucky I have a lot of good things in my life.  

cheek biting and lip biting probelms are seen in lots of pepople genarally in teens. But it's not a very major problem.

RETWEET THAT sh*t

GURLLL I FEEL U

I know exactly what you guys are talking about.  In elementary school, I started out licking my lips.  I always looked as it I had lipstick all around my lips.  Eventually, I stopped that and graduated to chewing the sides of my tounge and the inside of my cheek.  I do it majorly when I am stressed which seems to be all the time.  I don't like taking medication so the only thing that I have found besides chewing gum is a mouth guard or retainer.  Luckly, I had braces and have retainers that I immediately pop in my mouth when I realize that I am doing it.

Since this habit only can happen while ignoring it, would concentrating help?  Focus on the habit to prevent it??  Or take up a new hobby, one on which I really need to concentrate?  Is that the cure?  My husband is learning the guitar, and needs to track his hands and fingers, all while reading notes (he hadn't read music before).  So much to pay attention to!  He even ignores his cell while practicing!  Any thoughts, fellow biters/chewers??