I really, really need to quit doing this! As one commenter said, my teeth have become a bit misshapen from such frequent biting. I'm also convinced my mouth is aging prematurely. When I look at pictures, my mouth area looks like it is 20 years older than I am! I'm going to use the gum suggestion. 

Is it true that most psych majors have huge personal problems? 2/3 of my daughters have psych degrees. The other one never finished hers. Wow! I have not been quite that bad, the green edges and all. However, at age 63, I would like to conquer this habit. It seems the need to smooth the inside of the mouth overrides any pain, blood, or other self-inflicted harm. Someone else posting as a guest, in addition to you, said meds helped. Not the ones I am on! In fact, my psychiatrist says nothing will help by this time. :( As for chewing gum, I had done it for decades; that is the cause of my TMJ. I discourage anyone considering it from using gum as a substitute for mouth chewing. The jaws are still being stressed. Yes, there is so much good in my life, too. Thank you for the reminder. Perhaps focusing on the sunny side will move us away from this??

Ivs been bitting my inner mouth since being kid... mainly the bottom inside. Ill grip a decent chunk in between my teeth and suck on it. Afterwards ill feel the swollen chunk from sucking and start biting it off. Little peices and ecmven chuncks. The when its rough feeling or i can feek the skin with my tongue ill bite those peices off to make it smooth. Although its bleeding and sore ill keep doing it. Even if it hurts.... its a different ki.d of burt that feels good or gives me satisfaction as i do it... ill do it all the way till i get a canjer sore. And sometimes if the canker sore is small ill still bite at that even though it hurts like hell. I like to put salt directly on it!!! Ill leave it on till it stops hurting. Seems to heal it faster too.I recently got the biggest canker sore ive ever seen or had in ny life and that made me stop for almost a year... it was that bad. I poured salt on it for days and it would gradually get smaller but that made me wise up for a decent period of time...then i slowly started up after having my daughter who is niw four. At the moment its out of control because i just gave birth to twin boys, during my.ultrasound we found out they had a cleft lip and palate.... both of them.... doesn't run in the family or anything, but anyways my biting os out of control!!!!!!! I currently have a huge sore that i can feel turning into a canker sore. I use orajel for it but i just found this stuff canker x, and it puts a clear gel film over it and protects it and makes me not bit it. So that may be a temporary solution

I do this horribly and have for a while. I was told by two of my doctors, both in different fields of doctor-ing(?), that it is Dermatophagia. This is an ICD and OCD disorder where the sufferer compulsively chews their skin. It is most common for biting around nails, but it can also be with lips/mouth/cheeks. To help myself control it a little, I always have gum. I also play flute and that helps.Bascically just doing sommething with your mouth will help a little. To help sooth it, i find swishing peroxide/mouth wash or salt/water helps and lots of really good chapstick. Sorry I do not have much more help.

My cheek biting is driving me crazy! I used to do it as a child and for some reason at age 57 I have started again. This time is different in that my tongue is very sore. It feels like I just drank scalding hot coffee. It feels like this all the time and I wonder if it has anything to do with me rubbing my tongue (constantly) around by cheeks feeling the rough spots. Does anyone else have this burning tongue with cheek biting?

I just can't stop. Also bite my cuticles to the point of blood. I am so ANXIOUS for my dental appt because I don't want to gross out the dentist. I am never even tempted once the appts. are over however lol.

I hate myself for doing BOTH. I feel so anxious!

I have this same problem. It's so bad. Every time the new skin is healing, it kind of feels like dead skin so I bite it off. Sometimes biting to much and biting skin that is soft and it causing the inside of my cheek to swell up and become very sore. I cannot find a remedy to stop but I really need too. Especially now when brushing my teeth, the inside of my lip and cheek doesn't seem to hold any saliva and becomes so dry.

I have written this before, but I'm determined to post it on this thread every once in a while because it helped me so much. First thing I did was to go to a hypnotherapist. That helped enough that it encouraged me to do meditation and self hypnosis at home, which really helped to relax my jaw and help with the TMJ. Then I started reading about it being an OCD issue. I looked that up and found something called fidget toys. Look it up on Amazon. there are tons of different things. The one that worked for me is hand putty. I carry it with me and use it during the times that are my worst triggers, like when I'm driving. I just keep it in my hand and my hand busies itself with the stuff. It has really done a lot to keep me from biting. Sitting in the evening, watching tv, I use the putty. I no longer bite when I have that stuff to play with. It has really helped. I'd recommend anyone on this string to try fidget toys.

Like Guest a month ago, my mouth burns. But more than the mouth: the lips, under the nose, the eyelids...which all began suddenly several years ago. I surveyed my doctors (physical and mental health), but none could help me. Each one reviewed my meds, but still--nothing! Even the pharmacist is at a loss. It feels like sunburn. I religiously use sunscreen and wear a large-brimmed hat (after melanoma). While my issue is not quite like a scalding drink, its sudden appearance and persistence is alarming. Increases in pain meds have had a marginal effect. This is a new wrinkle to mouth-chewers; could there be a connection? While writing this post, a suggestion popped up to investigate wisdom teeth. I feel smarter already, finding threads to other health issues that may affect chewing.

Sorry for this lengthy reply, your comment in particular caught my attention. I suffer from this too. I've done it since I was in first grade, so I never gave it much thought until last night. I've been biting a lot lately due to stress from college, and hadn't even noticed I was doing it until my lip swelled to twice its size, so I Googled it. I know my compulsion to bite my cheeks comes from the feeling of wanting it to be smooth skin again, but I also like to bite a certain amount off so that it pops between my teeth. The right amount of skin between my back teeth will make them sort of stick together, and if I open and close my jaw slightly it makes a popping. That's the best explanation I can think of, since I haven't seen anyone else that does it too. I also bite and pick the skin off the ends of my fingers, and I'm wondering if anyone else does that too. I find myself either cheek biting or finger biting, but never both. I'm almost always doing either, if my fingers aren't bleeding then my cheeks are and vice versa. Anyways, I was shocked to see that other people do this. I don't know why I thought I was the only one. I mustered up the courage to talk to my mom about it, and to my surprise she does it too and so does my little brother. All these years and I never realized they'd also been twisting their mouths to bite, and pressing their fingers to their cheeks. Finding out I'm not dealing with this alone is a huge relief!
I'd just like to add that when I read your sentence, "Most of your comments sounded like they were coming out of my head..." It blew my mind. Its now one of those sentences that I think will resonate with me forever.

I'm always bitting my bottom lip and the inside of my cheek, sometimes my tongue. It's really annoying especially when ur done and realize what u did! And it always feels like u have to keep chewing like ur not done or something , then the bleeding would start. It's nice to know people do the same thing because I always catch myself pressing my finger against my cheek like how anyone not see it and if they do, what are they thinking... Who cares. I honestly feel like I mostly do it when I'm over thinking or stressed about something. Sometimes being overwhelmed and having too much unnecessary negative vibes causes me to start doing it. It's never one time I'm wondering why I'm doing it at very moment I'm doing it, I always remember how I was I felt and it's always usually what I mentioned before. Sometimes I tell myself out loud "stop it, dummy"... Try it

Wow yeah I do this. I bite the inside of my cheeks and inner lips and tear skin off with my teeth. I also do this to my tongue. Bite chunks off. It's weird and usually hurts after I've done it. Usually do it when I'm somewhere I don't want to be or stressed or bored.

I am there with you. Recovering addict from this all of these situations so I understand.

When I go to bite on my lip I feel it and think about what that will that in two days. HERPESVIRUS! I am single so that sucks! Then the cheek biting will take more time because you let sores heal not bite them so you won't bite them anymore. AND DON'T MAKE MORE! It is possible I have done it I am asingle mom am have been through hell so I know I know you can do it if you want to!!!