Well me and mom have the same problem but mine is worse. I bite me lips so bad that it tore and it pull some skin, so I was sitting there pull the skin off. ( sorry for the visual) The things I do that kind of work for are that I chew gum but for me when I spit it out I want to bite my lips more. So I eat ice that seems to work for me. Hope that helps. I know what feels like. Ps I'm doing it right now lol.

I have exactly the same thing. Im 15 and ive been doing it for years. It's just something i can't help but do! Sometimes ill end up biting it until i cant eat its that sore. I thing ill be giving that Dr pepper lip balm a go to see how it heals it up. But personally i think the best thing to do is chew lots of gum. Keeps your teeth healthy and occupied!!!

I am a female 32.. I do this almost daily and the sides of my tounge.. Cant stop even if it hurts or is sore from the day before. As far back as i remember ive been bitting my cheeks, lips and tounge?????? I hate hate it!! Need hypnosis i think to stop!!!! I didnt know about the risk of cancer until reading these post.. I am glad im not alone but want this bad bad habit gone!!!! Sheesh!!! Its aweful!! Im still young and hard to kiss with sore mouth :) so somehow i gotta beat this addiction????

I am 61 and have been a cheek chewer for as long as I can remember. I suspect that the tendency may be hereditary. My mother did not do this, but my father's only sister did. My daughters do also. It feels like a compulsion. My father and my sons suffer from tics. I wonder if it is the female version of tics, at least in our family. It has damaged my front teeth. From the cross friction between my teeth, my front teeth appear to have chips. My sister does not cheek chew, and none of her children have tics.

Bingo! "I had to wear a clear mouthguard." When 'curing' my TMJ, I trained myself to answer phones at work by singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I continue to wear a night guard so the TMJ stays at bay. The guard has a 'trough' to allow saliva to drain. I suck so hard on this that bumps are created each night in my sleep. Upon waking, the bumps beg to be chewed, starting the cycle. I'm highly anxious and have had personal/job stress for years. I'm sure the habit began by the time I married, 40 years ago. My psychiatrist says there is little hope of containing the chewing now. I am convinced that separating the teeth is the only solution; TMJ and gum are incompatible. I will slip my tongue between the rows of teeth; sometimes, a tic bites it. Two of my daughters also share the habit; the one at home is the worst. As she also smokes, I am concerned about her increased odds of oral cancer. I know of a man who lived for 15 years after having his mouth reconstructed for that avoidable ailment--not pretty. Thank goodness I found a place to discuss this issue. I only hope we have no reason to write soon!

I recently found something that works pretty well, and I hope it helps someone else on this board.  I was googling the problem and found some references to OCD, so I looked that up and found some references to something called "fidget toys".  These are used a lot by teachers, who give their elementary students something to handle to keep their hands busy during lessons.  They come in a variety of types.  I tried a few, some worked, some didn't.  I keep one by my desk.  It's called a sensory pad, but just go to Amazon and look up fidget toys and find one or more that grab you.  I keep something called theraputty in my car.  Its intended use is for hand strengthening.  But I find that if I have it in my hand, I don't bite my cheeks.  I have been using it for about a month now and it has made a huge difference.  The only way I can describe it is that the stress that used to end up in my mouth, now has a new outlet in my hand.  I have certain places where my chewing is at its worst.  At my computer, driving, and on the couch in the evening watching tv.  By keeping one of these fidget devices with me in those places, I have cut down my chewing by 80%.  I really hope that this helps someone else

Having 'cut down on [your] chewing by 80%,' sounds incredible! And this advice may have come just in time, as my tongue is getting pretty sore. My issue is compounded by having busy hands already. I spend much of my time at work on the computer, and still chew. How do you use the 'theraputty [while] in [your] car?' It seems I am on the right track and that's encouraging!

One hand on the steering wheel, one for the putty. Or if I need both hands for driving, I can still manage to hold the putty in one of the hands and squeeze it. Or if my husband is driving, I can play with it all I want! I keep some by my computer too, and if I have the opportunity I pick it up and mess with it. I'd be really interested in finding out if it works for you...it is still working for me

Hello, I to have suffered from this cheek biting, since I was a child I am 27 now. Maybe it was a sign of anxiety in children when I think back...  I think for me it's a type of comfort some suck their thumbs others may rock back and forth when they sit down I been doing it so long not doing it feels weird. My wife sometimes will notice me doing it and will have to tell me to stop. I have found over the years that if I have bitten a lot putting salt on the wound will heal it over a day or two. down fall, I start all over sorry I could not help I am just glade I am not the only one who dose this. Please post if you have found a way to stop.

I visited many sites looking for answers to my cheek biting/chewing habit that I have had for 15 years.  I was throughly frustrated and looking for help.  I was embarrased by my habit.  Scared of oral cancer and yet no amount of will power helped me.  Every night I would go to sleep with the inside of my mouth and lips all tore up.  

Three months ago I began using a new anti-aging skin cream.  The biotech company originally researched a cure for skin cancer and they found this.  For over a month now, I have not been biting my cheeks!  At first I didn't notice the change, but not only is my outward skin smooth and tight, the inside of my cheeks are so smooth and lesion free.  I am beyond thankful that I have stopped this horrible habit.  I thought I would have this for the rest of my life.  

Look at how we care for one another!  Transfering from the oral to the manipulative would also create only limited success.  I already spend much time using the computer and driving, so m hands are super-busy.  (I use them both for driving)  Also I have fibromyalgia, so don't want to over-tax them.  Even massaging the TMJ wears them out.  I so appreciate the advice.  I continue to lightly bite my tongue, and it helps.  However, as soon as I stop, the biting/chewing resumes.  Just how would using an anti-aging cream help?  It seems incredible.

I actually have no idea how it works! All I know is that it is packed with plant based, antioxidants that make the outside as well as the inside of my mouth smooth. I've broken the habit and I just finished a super stressful day….again I'm noticing my cheeks are smooth with no urge to bite them. I think the smoothness hinders me from the reactionary habit of catching a bump or roughness to bite on.

You're right that it's a limited success, but since I've had this habit for over 45 years now (astounding, isn't it?) and have tried almost everything...hypnosis, yoga, meditation, counseling, gum, mouth guards... I'll take any kind of success I can get. The hand putty works for me, two months and counting now, as long as I have it in my hands I do not chew on my cheeks. I drive and hold the stuff at the same time. I'm convinced it's OCD in my case, and I'm simply transferring the object of my compulsion to my hands during that time. I still bite my cheeks at times, but my jaw is more relaxed and my headaches are lessened, and that's what I needed to happen. It's a $6 fix, and it might be worth a try for anyone with this problem. I have two friends who do this chewing too, and it helped one of them. the other one, not so much.

Thank god that i wasnt the only one...but to me whenever i chew gum i stop doing it when im at work lol it works but when im home i do it all the time sometimes i haye it kuz it hurts when i eat something hot but at the same time it feels good lol

Hey guys I actually had a cheek/lip biting problem for YEARS ever since I was in primary school. I actually completed stopped the cheek biting a few years ago, and the only way I managed to do that was just by forcing myself to stop. Stop biting from the moment you wake up because that is when your skin develops most (overnight when you don't bite) and biting so early in the day won't get you anywhere. If you have the will power you CAN get over it! Living surviver!

Unfortunately I recently had a huge project for work which caused me to go into stress override and the cheek biting came from nowhere. I'm so upset now because I have to go through all the pain of waiting for it to heal since it's horribly peeling again [prompting me to search this after so many years].

With lip biting, always keep lip balm by your side, in your pockets, on your desk WHEREVER VISIBLE. Keep applying and you won't feel as big of an urge to bite because it feels smooth. It's all psychological :)