Avoided surgery! I know some of these damn Chalazions must be surgically removed but I worked 24/7 to avoid it and I think I won. I can not say which trick did it but I tried a ton. I started out feeling like I was getting a stye-typical symptoms of eye soreness, itchy, puffy...so I hit it with hot compresses right away and it "disappeared". Then like 5 days later, it was back and quick! Made an appt w/my Opto Doc and started to use over the counter Stye ointment right away. Doc gave me a script of 100mg Doxycycline and told me to use warm compresses and come back in 12 days and it should drain on its own or surgery maybe needed. I have had a ton of issues w/my eyes since my early teens (now 45) but never had a chalazion. I knew this was one when the "stye" I thought I had started to get large, pain started to go away, it was located on my upper left lid by the corner but above my lash line, it felt like a hard BB or pea and my lid felt very heavy. I panicked and started to research and work like a mad woman to try and get this thing to go down. I had some TobraDex ointment left from a stye 2 yrs ago so I topically used that in the mornings. I was worried about shelf life so I didn't use inside my eyes. I used as hot as I could stand hot compresses 5-7 x's/day, 10-30 mins each time, I also tried hot tea bags twice but I absolutely hate tea and gagged so stop that. I would run hot water over it every time I showered and would gently clean lids/lashes with J&J no tears baby shampoo. Every morning/night before bed I used OCuSoft eyelid cleanser and because its winter and my eyes are dry, I used every morning Systane Balance eye drops. I also did not wear ANY make up of ANY kind on my face for 2 weeks (which sucked big time) and wash my hands like a maniac and avoided touching my eyes when possible. When I started to get super upset after nearly 10 days of no results,although I must say it looked like it wasn't getting bigger which was good, I search the net again and saw to gently rub the Chalazion. I then started this AFTER each hot compress and I massaged it down towards the lash line. After approx 2-3 days doing this, I noticed one morning it looked slightly smaller. 2 days later, it was nearly gone. I have right now a very small (size of less than 1/4 of a pea and it has nearly all flattened out) left. I'm still working at it and I hope it will be 100% gone in less than a week!!!!

I've just had my chalazion on 23/01/2013 evening, yesterday I mean.  only the  local anesthetic in the led hurt a little bit and the clamp holding the led. of coarse,  my eye is now swollen and blurring. the doctor told me to make hot tea, not too hot, compresses over my eye to reduce the swollen part. also, my eye exerting fluids that increase the blurring. 

I had this problem a few years back. I had the chalazions removed surgically by three different doctors on 3 different occasions. Each one did the procedure slightly differently. But basically, all were the same. It is a relatively simple procedure. No need to stress out. These were done over a period of 2 years. I did everything that the doctors advised me. Still I could not be totally free of this recurring problem. I know how annoying they can be. It affected my job, my confidence, etc everything.  I researched and reflected on my experiences. Finally, I came to this conclusion. Sleeping in an air-conditioned room can exacerbate the problem because it dries the eyes and tend to block the tear glands and cause swellings. Secondly,  if you have this problem, please check your oral health with your doctor or dentist. Ask yourself whether you have any oral health issues, gum disease etc. If you have, it could be the reason why you are having this problem. I am not saying that this is the only reason, but this could be something that an eye specialist or a doctor would not tell you because they are not in the medical literature. Also it is against usual professional procedures. Good luck.

I have. Unfortunately, I've had over 10 removed. I used to get them often. I never had a situation where my eyelid did not return to normal. My doctors were great. But. It is a painful procedure.

I had a surgery done about a month ago. I had the chalazion for a year.The surgery cost 1,000$
It took about 3 hours
If you want you can be completely asleep
(I was )
After the surgery you have a patch and your eye feels weird •it dosent really hurt•
*like I said it had been a month and my stye is still there. I am worried but I have a doctors appotment coming up hopefully it will go away soon

How much lechitin were u taking, also

How long had u had the cyst for?

Thnkx

I also had a chalazion surgery.  It took 15 minutes.  The injection is less painful than a dentist injection. period.

I have a left over of chalazion clearly seen inside and outside.

I hope it will go away. Waiting..

i had a one removed in 2008 my eyelids are back to normal.

hi im 15 and i had a stye and i have it removed dont fear you feel no pain and its actully better now my eye is now great

Yes. Many years ago I had one removed. It was in the upper eyelid. Surgery was quick and virtually pain free. The doctor removed it frome the inside of the eyelid.

I have chalazions on both upper lid & deep in the bottom of my eye.  I have tried all the treatments, hot compresses, doxycycline, baby shampoo cleaning, etc.  It has been months & my vision has gotten blurry & the eye waters constantly.

The doctor wants to remove them but, has told me they do not put you to sleep & I have nightmares about having needles put into my eyes while awake.

Can anyone explain this surgical removal to me?  pain, recovery, etc.?  How long does it take?

I had this chalazion surgery on tuesday Aug 6, 2013.  I only become very nervous once the procedure began. The clamping of the eyelid open I really couldn't feel....probably because they numbed it pretty well.  But the visual of seeing the implements come at you and the sound ---a lot like when they pick tartar/plaque during a dental appointment.....my mind could not wrap itself around the fact that this picking sound was coming from my eye, and of course knowing it IS your eye......I really craved an ativan, truth be told, I think I even asked if they had one, but they laughed it off, not that I expected they would really give me one anyway. (I don't even take ativan!) After the surgery I remember shaking uncontrollably as I walked out of the office, approached the desk for check-out and told the lady, "Please just let me sit down for a moment and I'll come up as soon as I have my wits about me." She was lovely and said to take my time. She told me there was coffee, tea, bottled water and to help myself until I was ready. I jokingly told her what I really wanted a good stiff drink! Feeling conspicuous, I did my check-out within 5 minutes, then walked to my car feeling very weak in the knees. Once I got behind the wheel I knew I could not drive just yet. I had no pain, but this odd sensation as though my eyelid was still turned inside out even though it was not.  I was afraid to look in the mirror. I went thru some gauze and tissues and there was some bleeding and I had been told that was normal.  Still shaking, I just sat there for about an hour...using my cell phone to call three different people whom I knew talking to would help me to calm down.  I eventually started to cry so then I had tears to deal with in addition to the blurriness and lite bleeding.  I remember being afraid to remove the gauze from my eye and wondered how or if I could drive keeping one eye covered and not be a road hazard.    Fortunately I had a pr of prescription sunglasses with me and that helped because I really seemed to mind the brighness. I was heading into my work, but stopped off at a grocery store en route and picked up a bag of frozen corn to use as my cool compress for the day.  I work in an acccounting dept and use the computer and look at tiny little numbers all day. It was quite challenging but I managed to get thru the day, eventually calming down...bit I needed to talk about it. I must have told at least 1/2 doz people at work what this experience was like.....it was sort of like I had to process it and I had to hear myself process it. Today is 9 days later....I still have a bump (much flatter though) on my lid, occasional itching, am still using the antibiotic ointment, have not returned to wearing contact lenses nor make-up yet and am awaiting regrowth of a patch where my eye lashes fell out.  All this being said, it does look much better. I seem to have started a new fashion trend in my office, I notice that some of the girls (much younger than myself) have started to wear RX glasses more frequently. I return for a follow-up visit in early September.  From what I read, hopefully this bump will just go away on its own, but I plan to ask at my follow-up visit. I sort of like wearing RX glasses for the time being, they are stylish and actually quite freeing after being an ardent contact lens wearer for many years. If you are thinking about this surgery, it is survivable, but just not very pleasant.  Don't let my story discourage you, but don't go into it unprepared. If I had known beforehand what I know now I would have planned on taking the day off work and having had a driver but these are the only parts I believe I would have done differently. Good Luck!

This has helped my 6 year old daughter with her chalazions, she has had 4 or 5. She washes her entire face with OLAY age defying Daily Renewal Cleanser with Beta Hydroxy Complex with gentle microbeads. I think it is the ingredients that is doing the trick. My wife and I have a notebook full of different treatments from compresses, fish oil, homeopatic meds, essential oils, etc. Try it & good luck, OLAY Age Defying Daily Renewal Cleanser

how do you massage your eyelid after you got the chalazion surgery? i just got the procedure done 6 days ago and the swelling is still happening and im not sure when i will be allowed to wear makeup again?  

Hi Veggie,
Over a year ago, you wrote about your chalazion and astigmatism on the steadyhealth web site. Do you have astigmatism still and how many weeks/months did it take to correct? Just worried as am in the same boat at the moment.
Thanks Sarah