I had my chalizion removed today.. and after reading some of these posts i did not know what to expect.. so let me give you some tips on how to make the whole process a lot less frightening..

1) do not think about it until it is going to happen.. realize you wont have that dang thing on your eye anymore and be glad for that..
2) see what the doctor is going to do.. ask questions about it.. i.e. how long it is going to take, etc.
3) the needle is NOT THAT BAD.. its easier than getting it elsewhere.. its a pinch for about 5 seconds tops and youre done, although i had two.. but at that point i didnt care.. it was so easy.
4) BRING AN IPOD. . this is the most important i think.. i sat there and i listened to the cutting of my skin and it makes me sick to even think about it.. that was one of the worst parts of the entire thing.. if you just bring an ipod.. put on a song and relax.. youll be done before the song ends.
5) expect pain afterwards.. afterwards is the worst part.. at least for me.. plan on going home rather than out.. take a nap too.. after about an hour or two the pain subsides significantly.

and that is where i am now.. my eye was very swollen afterwards and has healed quite a bit since..
if you just bring your ipod you should be completely fine..

i hope this helped.. my email address is: if you have anymore questions or if this was useful to you.. id love to know..

God Bless.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I had one removed yesterday on my upper eyelid. I told them that I did not want the shot.
So they did the procedure using only a topical anesthetic. It was painful but I made it through.

Hi there!
My father, an E.R. Physician, informed me that I have one, and that it needs to be lanced. But, after at least a month or two of having it sit on my face, we haven't done anything about it, and I intend on asking for the surgery tomorrow, because frankly, I just want the stupid thing out.

The problem is, I wear contacts both for comfort and because it's a big boost on my self esteem, mostly because my glasses lens are about a centimeter thick, and when I wear them, my eyes look HUGE. So I'm insanely curious, how long do I have to wait before I can hide behind my contacts again?

Thank you,
Bigeyes

hi, I had surgery an hour ago. I had my lump for 2.5 years in upper left eyelid and did the warm compresses but that didn't reduce the swelling and clearly surgery was the best and only option. The procedure is less than 5 mins. I was nervous after all its the eye area and who isn't sensitive when it comes to the eye. I had my procedure at day surgery in the hospital, it was very quick, no special gowns to wear nor are you required to go fasting.

Run down of procedure:
1.freezing eye drops were put in my eye (felt nothing)
2. left upper eyelid swabbed down with antiseptic soap (just felt like cold water)
3. anesthetic deposited on outside of upper lid ( stingy lasted for 10 seconds)
4. anesthetic on inside of upper eyelid (felt nothing)
5. face was drapped to just expose left eye (felt nothing)
6. left upper eyelid clamped (felt wee- bit pressure then it went....saw nothing)
7. chalazion curetted out (felt and saw nothing)
8. un-clamped left upper lid (phew...its over)
9. dressed and patched left eye (felt nothing)
10. given script for tobrex eye ointment to apply 3x per day for 2 weeks (doc advises the ointment vs. eyedrops as it has better contact) and advised to remove patch in 4hours and apply warm compresses 3x day and to expect mucous
11. had someone take me home

Propped up in bed having breakfast anesthetic wearing off and pain level is 3 (10 being highest and 1 minimum) Glad I went for the surgery, it was worth having it removed and who would have thought I endure the unpleasant esthetic's of the lumpy eye for 2.5 years and the corrective surgery was less than 5 mins.

I hope this helps, I am no ophthalmologist and would recommend discussing the procedure with your doctor before having it done. Above is my experience and insight into the procedure.
my best wishes

hey,

~24 hours post surgery- pain is zero, discomfort zero. Eye is swollen and looks like a nice shiner. I have been using warm compresses for 20 mins 3x a day and letting it drain for and hour before applying the ointment antibiotic. There is a trick to applying this antibiotic, you need to make a pouch in lower eyelid and squeeze 1cm of ointment in there then close the eye and roll in about in the socket to get even spread of antibiotic in the upper lid.

Gunk has been coming out of the eye and collects in inner part so I bought some medicated eye wash its called Lid Care Cil- Net* from the pharmacy, no script needed and I have been carefully cleaning/ removing the exudate. The eye did feel scratchy since it was draining and weepy due to the irritant but it was minimal. Resumed light chores around the house aside from sweeping/ dusting.

~48 hours post surgery- bruising has gone down significantly, eye resumed normal colour, upper eyelid still puffy though not much. Will continue the warm compresses 3x a day with gentle massage of upper eyelid by sweeping finger from outside eye to inner eye to help drain and will then apply antibiotic ointment . Looks much better. Zero pain and no discomfort.

Scheduled for review with doc in a months time

I hope this helps and again, do consult your pharmacist and doctor before purchasing any eye care products
All the best

I had one removed from my lower lid about 3 years ago. I had to wear the patch for a few hours afterwards and it was fine after that. A little bruising (couldn't wear my contacts for a couple of weeks though).

I just had one removed from my upper lid yesterday. This one hurt a little, but i'm pregnant and they couldn't give me the same drugs as before so I think that's why. The clamp hurt the most. It only took a few minutes then they put a patch on my eye and told me to keep it on overnight (This was already 6pm). Took the patch off this morning and my eye is pretty red and bruised. It's got some gunk coming out of it. I just try to wipe it out using a tissue and keep my fingers away from it. I'll be doing hot compresses too.

I don't have any scar from the 1st one 3 years ago, so I'm hopeful this one won't either. It hurts a little (not the first time, but it did the second time) but the procedure is so quick that it's basically over before you know it.

I got a chalazion in June 2008. It did not affect my vision at all, just a pain to look at. I thought about getting the surgery done to remove it but after reading about it online decided I'd rather not. The chalazion ended up going away on it's own!! It took 2 years for it to completely disappear but it is gone now and has been for about 3 months. I was trying warm compresses for awhile but all that did was make it flare up and didn't help at all. I stopped messing with it and the only thing I did for it was to wash it with an eyelid cleanser regularly. I noticed one day about 3 months ago that my eye was blurry and when I looked in the mirror I saw that it was draining out on it's own. It drained out a little at a time over the course of about two days. Now my eyelid is completely normal looking like I never had a chalazion. So I would recommend that if you can wait, let it drain out on it's own. If it is affecting your vision you should definitely get it removed but if not just let it run it's course and your eye should look normal again without the harsh surgery.

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. I am apprehensive because I do not like for anyone to put anything in or near my eyes but I don't like my new chalazion look that I have been sporting for 3 months now either so I am choosing the lesser of the two evils. I have one on the lower lid of my left eye and one on the upper lid of my right eye. The one on my left eye came first and looked like a small lump for a month or so and then the right one came up and looked more like a sty. The one that looked like a sty went away for a few days and then came back and decided to stay. Out of nowhere the small lump on my left eye ballooned out of control and is now very noticeable so I am extremely self conscience about it. I will report back after the surgery to let everyone know how it went. I am super scared but I am trying to focus on the fact that its 10 minute process and people go through much worse. Thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences it has been a major help for me.

Will be having this procedure very soon, have a cyst or chazalion on the upper eyelid, have it for just over a week and it seems to get bigger everyday, kinda nervous about the surgery but some of you have put me at ease.

Definately bringing an IPOD with me, dont want to hear cutting flesh. will post back here when its done and will give people my view on the surgery.

I had a chalazion removed 4 weeks ago after having it for almost 2 years, it was visible- a lump with a bit of redness. It looked half closed compared to my other eye. Since having it surgically removed I haven't really noticed a difference, it still looks and feels the same before I had the surgery. Is this normal and how long will it take to completely go away?

HELP! =((
I had mine removed but I don't think it was a well removed one. Got a bit of swelling den it came back on the same spot again as a red painless one. Consulted another doctor and she stated that it might be a scar tissue, so removing it again might not help as it might come back again in a different size :-(

She gave me lid care wash and antibiotic drops for 1 month to see how it progress and today is my 1st day! Im rly scared of permanent scarring. It's about 2mm x 2mm big. Anyone has one that came back and managed to be removed permanently? Please do share :-)

hello - just wondering when having the chalazion surgical procedure, can you see the needle go into your eye area. I guess the part that i am freaking out about is seeing the needle go in - and its not like i can shut my eye - so i am just worried i am going to see it. can anyone please let me know how it is if you see the needle.

thanks!

Hi all, i recently had a chalazion and was also very frustrated, had one for about 3-4 months. Currently making a site that should help treat the chalazion without surgery. Hope it helps

http://sites.google.com/site/chalazionmd/

theres an updated site, looks useful

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had a recurrent hard chalazion under my eyelid for 5 months which I was compressing or steaming daily.  I was just about to give up and have it surgically excised when I read the post about lecithin.  I took a 1200 mg lecithin capsule daily and on the Third day it drained.  I am continuing with the lecithin, eyelid hygiene morning and night with baby shampoo and a hot washcloth.  It has been a month since it drained.