I had a chalazion for about a year and a half. I cringe when I hear that word still, I hated that damn bump on my eyelid. But I wanna post for people who are new to having one, and unsure of what to do.  I have a busy schedule and work in a field that requires me to speak face to face with many people every day.  When I noticed this lump on my eyelid, I couldnt stop thinking about it, or touching it or think that everyone was looking at it, wondering what the hell is that on this guys eye!!? I read all about the hold a warm compress to it for 10 minutes 4 times a day and rub it and blah blah blah. I tried that, and it didnt work, and to be honest, maybe I didnt give my "best" effort either because who has time to do that c**p every day...not me. I went to my eye doctor and he gave me a shot, directly to the chalazion with a steroid. First off, the shot is nothing, kinda creepy, doesnt hurt, just pinches, but its basically a needle near your eye so its just an uncomfortable situation. But it works like a champ, the next day the chalazion was noticeably smaller, then BAM it was gone. 3 months passed, and I noticed it started coming back. So for the next year and a half, I would return to my eye doctor every time it came back (usually around the 3 month mark) he would shoot me up again and it would dissapear. He suggested surgery to remove it, but he wanted me to let it grow very large...like a grape. I said forgot that dude, no way am I walking around with a grape sized lump on my eye. So we continued the shots. Currently I havent had it return for almost 2 years now! I figured it just worked its way out somehow. So if you dont want to get the surgery, just get the shots every couple months and pray for the best. I did, and its gone now. Also I just want to say, towards the end, before it dissapeard for good, the steroids didnt work as well as they did in the start. The last 3 shots all took 2 doses in order to get it to go down in swelling. I have insurance, and it cost me 60 bucks copay everytime, thats 60 bucks every 3 months for a year and a half.....but the money didnt bother me, it was the damn ugly bump everyone would stare at that bothered me. So if you dont want the surgery, try what I did, atleast its another option. Then have a beer to celebrate being chalazion free!

my surgery was done 2 days ago ..my eye is still swollen nd draining yellow liquid from my eye..i wake up and i cant open my eye the yellow discharge sticks my eyelid...has anyone experienced the same is it normal or should i need to consult the dr

I had a chalazion on my upper eyelid for 2 months. It started with swelling of the whole area, upper and lower lids. Then just the chalazion remained. It drained intermittently, but was always swollen and pea sized. The first treatment was a steriod injection. It wasn't supposed to hurt much. It was one of the most painful experiences I can remember. I've had kidney stones, broken bones, concussions, and such. Maybe he hit a nerve? Anyway the steroid helped for a couple of weeks but only slightly. Then it came back. Warm compresses consistently made the chalazion worse, more swollen. I discontinued them.

Finally I went in for the surgery. It was far less painful than the steroid injection, as far as the anesthetic injection. During the procedure they lance the chalazion, then make an incision and scrape it out. I could not feel any of this. This was done on the outside of the eyelid not inside. The doctor said there was lots of puss and inflammation process along with some other stuff. I nearly passed out and was drenched in sweat after the proceedure, but it was otherwise pretty easy. I have been known to pass out with many different medical procedures so I consider it normal for me. After a week and a half there is a small bump where the chalazion was which is supposed to disappear on it's own after  a few weeks. There doesn't seem to be any scarring. 

I have many allergies and wonder if it's related to them (pollen, dust mites and certain histamine related food allergies). While I've had the allergies since I can remember, this is the first time I've had a chalazion. I recently stopped taking anti-histamines in favor of nasal/sinus rinsing which works much better. 

hello, slowly means how long? can i take like 2 month or more to totally go away? thx ;)

I got my chalazion cyst removed from my lower lid about 3 days ago. It was relatively small because I had had it for over 2 years and it had gradually shrunk. I was prescribed eye drops, which I have been taking and are almost gone with no refills required. The bump is still there, its just about half size and pretty red. I went through all that trouble to get it removed and it is still basically there. How long did it take for yours to drift off? If anyone could please let me know that would be great!

can you wear contact lenses with a chalazion?

Hi

I am just fresh from surgery, 2 hours ago, where I had two chalazions removed under local anesthesia.  One in the top and one in the lower lid in the same eye.

The good news... It is quick!  The incision and removal of the chalazion took all but a few minutes.  Perhaps it's a reflection of my opthamologists's surgical skills!

The bad news... it hurts.  Especially the clamp.  The needles hurt, but only momentarily.  But the clamps were somewhat unpleasant.  

If I had the choice, I would do it under general anesthesia next time.  

Be brave!

I know a cure. I had one in my lower eye lid that lasted 1.5 years. Nothing worked ie anti-biotics heat, compress etc. Then one day at camp, the fire was blairing, so I put my face close to the woodstove and open the door, allowing the extrem heat to hit my face for several minutes. I repeated this for about a week and the chalazion went away for ever. I don't know if the chalazion is caused by bacteria or eyelash mites but the extrem heat and radiation from the fire kills the problem.

I hope this helps.
Mike

I wanted to post my chalazion surgery experience for those who, like me, searched the Internet for all types of info & reassurance about the procedure. I had my chalazion since July of this year & I got it removed at the beginning of November. It originally started as a stye, but the doctor said the stye probably didn't heal completely because I started noticing this hard bump under my eyelid. I left it alone for a while hoping it would go away, but it didn't. So I started using hot compresses every morning & night, but that didn't do anything either. Finally I went to an eyelid specialist & he told me I could leave it or get it removed. It wasn't too noticeable & it didn't hurt, but it bothered me to have it there. I was worried about the recovery some since some places said it takes weeks & I couldn't wear contacts or makeup. I had a team photo shoot for work coming up & my sister's wedding in December, so I needed to be able to wear contacts & makeup for those. My doctor said recovery is 3 days though, so I scheduled the surgery. 

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The procedure itself was probably 3 minutes long. I was most nervous about the anesthesia injection because I had local anesthesia for a mole I got removed in my foot earlier this year & that hurt a lot. I was nervous about needles near my eye, but it was only slightly uncomfortable. It hurt less than the shot in my foot. The doctor injected the anesthesia right into the bump (upper left lid) & said people have told him it hurts less if he does the injection there no have to agree!

I just closed my eyes thrim hole time & couldn't see anything even after he flipped my lid. All you feel is some pressure as he does the incision & takes out the chalazion. The he did something that smelled like it was burning.  I'm not sure what it was for, but all I know is during that time I started feeling like the room was spinning. Not a good feeling, but I kept trying to answer his questions like nothing was happening. Then I was done. 

He put some ointment in my eye & prescribed it for me. It actually made it a little difficult to see because it was blurry. My mom drove me home. My eye looked slightly swollen when we left the doctor, but once I got home, it was REALLY swollen. It looked pretty bad, but it didn't hurt at all. I tried icing it, but the next day when it was still a little swollen, I did warm compresses, which really helped. As day 2 went on, the swelling went down. the doctor said I could wear contacts on the 3rd day, but I just wore glasses most of the week. I only wore contacts one full day & then just to work out. My eyelid was completely normal after a week. I don't have the bump at all anymore (it was right after the surgery...never saw it again like others who say they still have a bump). I'm glad I did the procedure, but I don't want to do it again if I can help it. So now I'm trying to prevent styes & chalazions. 

Great collection of posts, thanks for sharing.  I had surgery yesterday to have my chalazion removed.  It's about 4 months old and I was getting tired of the warm compresses which didn't seem to help and this annoying lump on my eyelid.  The eye doctor gave me a choice of a shot or "freezing" eyedrops.  She said the drops are usually enough and often any pain is equal to the shot (plus the shot may contribute some to bruising).  I went for the drops, the pain was ever so slight and the procedure was extremely quick.  I'd say no more than 5 minutes after she started and today there is zero discomfort, the bump is about 70-80% reduced and I'm expecting the slight eyelid swelling to go down over time.  She mentioned giving it 6 weeks for any swelling to completely disappear and then go see her again if it hasn't.  Was definitely debating whether surgery was overreacting vs waiting it out but I have no regrets.  All good and for anyone worried about the pain, it was very slight to non-existent in my case.  Cheers.

I had mine removed today. It was really painful aI I was having the shot and the rest of theorocedurewss uncomfortable. But now my eye is very swollen . I really hope it goes down soon. My doc said mine will take a fe

does the surgical hurts? and how much shots did he often give to a small chalazion? 

did your under eye skin turn black after the surgery? coz mine turnd... i had it removed 3 days ago n nw d under eye skin has a black patch n m so scared........ n i still feel d bump... this is so annoying....

DID UR UNDER EYE SKIN TURN BLACK? COZ MINE DID...... I HAD IT REMOVED THREE DAYS AGO ND NW THERE Z A BLACK PATCH THERE..... N I STILL FEEL THE LUMP.... IT Z SO ANNOYING... Y D HELL DID I GO FR SURGERY DEN......

for a small chalazion he jus give u drops but if that won't numb then he will give u 1 shot( that won't b a lot of pain it's jus lyke a flu shot). When i had my surgery for both of my eyes i had 8 shots so i was actually in pain for the whole day but i was ok the next day