i had surgery yesterday for a chalizon and my eye is really swollen...i can barely open my eye and i hope it goes away ... should i put warm or hot compresses for now??

I had this surgery done yesterday. It was the second time I have had a chalazion removed in the last year. I've had 3 chalazions in the past year and a half. The first one broke on his own after a few weeks of hot compresses and eye drops. It drained while I was sleeping and I woke up with a bunch of goo in my eye (gross, I know!). The second one got very big and lasted for about two months before I went in for the surgery. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of before getting the surgery done because I HATE having my eyes touched. I even went to a oriental medicine clinic in Seoul. I live in Korea and had the surgery performed by a Korean eye doctor, which was a little scary because it was a health care system I wasn't used to. I had to look around to find a eye doctor that spoke enough English because I had a lot of questions before the surgery. I was really nervous. The first chalazion happened about two months after I had the first surgery. My entire eyelid swelled up like I was having an allergic reaction and then after a few hours the swelling localized to the same spot the other chalazions were. I think these are really related to stress. I tried 6 months of hot compresses 3 times a day, oral medication and eye drops. I also consulted 2 other eye doctors. Eventually, I went back to the same doctor. I had the surgery yesterday and went to work the next day. When I took the eyepatch off this morning, my eyelid looked the same except the chalazion was gone.

Before doing the surgery, I read a lot of blogs on the web for other peoples experiences with the surgery. I think there are a lot of negative stories on the net because usually only people with bad stories will go and write about it. I hope I can give some comfort to anyone thinking about getting the surgery that it is PAINLESS. The recovery is very short. However, I understand everyone will differ a little bit as the size and number of chalazions can affect one's experience. Also, I'm sure the doctor's technique and experience can as well. But for me, it was painless. They put some numbing eye drops in first and then some cool wet numbing gel on my closed eyelid before inverting it. The clamp didn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable because my eye was so numb already. The stress and anxiety leading up to the surgery is more difficult than the actual surgery.

I have had Chalazions in both eyes for the past few weeks, and have been very anxious about the prospect of surgery. I went to my GP who was going to wait two weeks (while I took antibiotics) before referring me to an Opthamologist. My eyes worsened in the following week, with one eyelid becoming distinctly infected, resulting in a large yellow head on the exterior of my (very swollen) eyelid - I know this is often a symptom of a stye resolving and not a Chalazion, but I have had both and had seen a doctor and this was definitely a Chalazion that had started inside my meibomian gland. I returned to the doctor very quickly to find I could not get an appointment, at which time my mother (the owner of a Neals Yard Remedies franchise) decided to step in and see what could be done with natural remedies. I was very dubious about whether or not these remedies would have any effect at all - as I saw it the condition was bad enough that conventional medicines could not treat it and surgery was always the only option, so what good would flowers and potions do?

I was wrong. For about 3 weeks I have been following a daily routine which I will share with you - one eye is completely resolved and the other one is at 85%, which just some residual redness where the Chalazion came out the front of my eyelid, which I'm sure will resolve itself soon enough.

First - I took various things every day to bolster my immune system. Multivitamins, Ester-C (Vit C supplement), 2000mg of L-Lysine (an essential amino acid -  I read someones account of trying to fight off cold sores using L-Lysine and a handy side effect was that it completely cleared up some nasty Chalazions they had as well), a powerful Echinacea tincture, and an immune system booster which included Colloidal Silver and Oregano essential oil.

Second - Homeopathy. I have been taking Sulphur (from Volcanos - thought to help with things that erupt) 6c every hour or so the first few days, then 30c 3 times a day in the last week or so.

Third - Eyedrops. Made using a few drops of Euphrasia tincture and boiling water. I leave them in the fridge to cool and apply them a few times daily.

Lastly - Hot Compresses - with a difference. I sit in a hot bath for about 30 mins a couple of times a day and hold hot compresses on my eyes which I have fashioned using a handful of dried Marigolds which I soak in hot water then wrap in a piece of kitchen paper, sort of like a home-made Marigold teabag. I keep dipping it in clean hot water to keep warming it. Marigolds are thought to have incredible healing properties for the eyes; something I myself can now attest to.

Within a week or so both Chalazions had developed heads on the outside of the eyelid, basically like big spots, which would eventually drain and subsequent swelling and redness then started to subside. Icepacks can help with this stage.

It's probably been about 3 weeks now since my eyes were at their worst. I feel like they will probably resolve now without surgery. I am going to continue my daily regimen for the time being to try and avoid any recurrence but I understand the Homeopathy part of my routine should help with this as it aims to treat the underlying cause of a condition; not just the symptoms.

I will keep you posted. Good luck :-)

i had my surgery yesterday, one in upper left eye, one lower left eye and one one upper right eye. Actually the consultant said that the one in my upper right eye had more than one so two or three styes had come together/ I didn't even realise. Procedure involved local anaesthetic Injections usually two in each area- the nurse held my hand! Then they clamped the eyelid and brought it up so inside of eyelid was visible to the surgeon. He spent about thirty-seconds on each eye or maybe a minute. Inner eyelid was cut and sty/ cyst scooped out with a scooping tool. Pressure then applied to eye, and then eye patched . Uncomfortable during surgery, very oozy and gooey, now lids are swollen and purple and hurt. Take hood care with eye hygiene people, would not want to go through this again !

i had surgery about 3 months ago n my right upper eyelid, i have had 2 operations on this eyelid, and still have a lump of scar tissue from my 1st ever encounter with this 'disease'!!! my eyelid since my operation has not been the same, some days it looks fine, others i can feel it playing tricks on me n slightly lookin a lil red and swolen, reading through these posts it seems that this is common for it to not be completely the same as it once was. im still using the heat compresses but not the conventional way of using a flannel, i just use some folded up tissue roll with boiling water (let it cool down to a comfortable temperature once on the tissue!!) the apply to the eyelid and massage down gently pushing on the eyelid. i find this does help if a chalazion is comin back it helps to keep breaking it down,  i do this once every day atleast. i have found  (from paying wayyyyy too much attention to my eye!) that alot of factors come into play as to why these things flare up, i have noticed in my case these factors;

lack of sleep
eating greasy foods- even chocolate isnt the best of options but you gotta treat yourself  :D
not keeping full hydrated (drink loadsaaaa water, less sugary stuff!!)
stay as stress free as you can, (these things are definatly linked to stressing out!)
generally just try and stay as healthy as you can

i kno this list seems like- "i kno loadsa ppl that follow the complete opposite routine n their eyes are fine" and i kno the feeling believe me but this has definatly helped me. 

BUT i think the main one is to not pay soo much attention to them!! as hard as it is to avoid looking at them, JUST DONT DO IT!! when you look at them ( i duno about you) but i get.. wel.. depressed, annoyed, all the things you shouldnt feel when u look in the mirror!!! the more attention you pay the more you and evryone esle will notice. feeling like this, paying soo much attention to a 'flaw' that is out of your control, is in turn, going to keep this feeling of annoyance with you. jus try and forget about them, and as corny as this sounds, try n stay stress free and happy, n they will go before you kno it! 

Good luck cystarians!!

i have a chalazion in my left eye and im in my 10's im scared i am pretty sure i have to have sergary and im scared dose it hert will it make my vision wierd after it is removed?.......... this will be my first surgary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:'( will it hert when the surgary is over? 

i had a chalazion on my upper eye lid and got it removed 6 months back.. but i still have a bump on the same place.. its not subsiding.. doctors say tat it s the remenant of the chalazion i got removed.. they dont want me to go for a surgery.. and advised me to use no tears eyedrops,hot fomentation, and ciplox eye ointment and massage my eye lid.. but all these dont help me.. can anyone tell me what should be done in this case to get rid of the bump and swelling completely.. i want my eye to look like before

I had 2 chalazions, one on each of my lower eyelids. The one on the right, I've had it for about 9 months, the one on the left, probably about 4 months. I did try the hot compresses for a short period of time and even went under the blanket with a boiling hot pot for 15 minutes a day. I was really hoping the steam and massages would work its magic and drain the stuff out, but no luck.

Anyway, I decided to get the surgery and I actually just got it done about 3 hours ago. I booked tomorrow off from working thinking my eye was going to be sore and puffy, but in all truthfulness, despite the fact that I had chalazions removed from BOTH eyes, I was able to drive home by myself. I didn't believe the doctor when he told me that I don't need to bring someone to drive me home, nor would I need to wear an eye patch. Minutes after the surgery was done and checking out at the front desk, I actually got into my car (pouring rain outside) and drove home. It really wasn't as big a deal as I thought. Of course, my eyes were numb and I could feel a bit heaviness, but nothing that would obstruct my view. 3 hours later, my eyes actually look quite normal except there is a bit of slight black and blue on my eyelid -- but it looks like it was due to the clamp since it's in a circular shape. There's still a bit of a lump where the chalazions were... but I heard that is normal and it will subside and disappear over a week or so.

Since I had to get 2 removed, the worst part were the injections. My Dr injected two shots of anesthesia in each eye, so 4 altogether. It wasn't painful... just a pinch, but the fact that each injection was held there for like a good 5-10 seconds, it wasn't pleasant. My Dr left, then a few minutes later, came back after the anesthesia has kicked in. He then lowered the chair and became the operation. Aside from the clamp blackening my vision, I didn't feel a thing when he was performing the operation. Of course, I knew what he was doing because I watched too many youtube vids before going in for the surgery. By the time the Dr lowered my chair and started the operation, it only took about 5 minutes for him to complete both eyes. Seriously, it was THAT quick and the blood actually stopped really quickly.

After the surgery, I went to get food, went to the groceries, picked up my prescription for some eye ointment and then went home to play some video games. It really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It really is a breeze people.

Btw, I am a 28 year old male.

So I recommend the surgery to everyone who's had a sty for a long time. I had mine for three months and I was nervous and scared to get the surgery because it is SURGERY, and it's on your eye. But after one day your eye feels better. All they do it give you a shot in your eye to numb you and don't feel anything. Make sure you put the medicine after the surgery and you'll be good in a week, but continue to use it for 2 weeks even if it looks like it has gone away.

I was in the EXACT same situation! My sty was in my eye forever, and it wasn't on the outside rim where they usually hang out. I think overtime so much pus built up, so it was about time I had the surgery done. I had my surgery done last Thursday; today is my 5th day of recovery. I am nervous because although the sty is completely gone, and the lump below my eye is significantly smaller, it is still there. It is a tender lump that is much smaller than it was before. What I worry about is that the fact that even on day 5 there is some minimal pus draining out of where the wound in my eye is. The tissue is still healing there. When it is all healed and closed up, will the pus still stay under my eye, leaving that unwanted lump? I do not want to have to carry that burden forever! Please, please, please offer some of your advice. I am concerned.

I faced the same situation and worries after my minor surgery of draining the pus. It was very red and lumpy still after that and I worried for days. But what surprised me was after about a week or so, the lump became smaller and smaller and disappeared off by itself. So I suggested to keep your wound clean, and wait for the healing process from the inflammation (3 to 5 days) due to the surgery. Healing process varies between each individuals. Just ensure you hydrate yourself adequately and sleep well. Time will eventually tell. It should heal nicely if you trust your surgeon's skills ;)

It has been 5 days since the surgery and it still occasionally drains some pus- is that normal? I dab it off with a clean q-tip, I hope that is ok? My doctor prescribed me some ointment to put inside my eye four times a day for a week. I always make sure my hands are washed and dried before I apply the ointment. I just still worry about the lump/bump under my eye... so that should go away naturally over a week or so? Thanks for your help!

Im unsure about your case, but from what I know, presence of pus could be either from the incomplete draining of ur sty pus or a sign of infection (take note that other signs include red, warmth, swollen..). Yes as long as it's clean. Ensure that the tip of the ointment tube is not in contact with anything especially your eyes too. Yes, depending on each individual's healing process, the lumpy wound should subside and disappear gradually. Mine took about a week plus. :) 

Oh okay! I don't think it's infected again, there are no other such signs that would indicate so. The doctor did a pretty good job draining most of the pus and I've been taking care of my eye during the healing process. Actually, I've noticed less pus lately so maybe that is a good sign. :)

very helpful post. thank you!