I have had this sty for almost a year. Im finally gaining up enough courage to have surgery in 2 weeks. I am so scared....my doc said that he will inject the site with novocaine and make a little incision to have it drained. Does anyone know if the injection hurts? I mean it's not like an injection in your arm its your EYE....which is very sensitive. Any helpful tips?

Becky- it is an injection into your eyelid, it feels like a pinch. The procedure is very quick and does not hurt at all, it's just uncomfortable to watch. Good luck!!

what is your aggressive preventative med?

I have a chalazion on my upper left eyelid and i DONT like goin to the doc.!!Do you think they could put me asleep for the surgery???
Please reply back im really really scared!!!

Since chalazion removal is a minor surgery, local anesthesia is more than enough. Please calm down. Having to go to sleep (under general anesthesia) may not be a good thing. Why let a general anesthesia drug works on all parts of your body (stomach, bladder, muscles etc) when the focus is on your eye lid? and making urself very drowsy after being put to sleep..

Dont be afraid. U will recover after the very minor surgery and do adhere to the advices given by ur dear doctor. Good luck! :)

Guest wrote:

My 6 year old son is going to have 2 removed from his lower eye lid in 5 weeks time.
Now I have the date for him, Im getting really worried now, of what he will have to
go through.

He will be put to sleep, but that is all I know at the moment.

Does anyone know if he will have to stay in hospital over night, will he have stitches,
does the eye get really swollen after???

Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks

Hi my 6 year old daughter will be havin her operation next week. They told me..the operation will only take about 20 minutes. And that she will be able to go home the same day. But still..im now so worrying :(

Had  chalazion surgery yesterday. No pain, only minor discomfort, and it was over in 10 minutes.  Took the bandage off this morning, and there is some swelling. Hope most of it will be gone by tomorrow, but I doubt it. 

I had the surgery about 3 weeks ago. I scared myself by watching the videos on youtube. My chalazion was on my lower eyelid and was large, about the size of 2 or 3 peas put together. It started off pretty small, but after using some of the home remedies I read about online such as epsom salt on a hot washcloth, castor oil, etc, I believe it got infected and at that point became very painful and large. Anyway, I went in for my appointment and they did the surgery that day. I thought it was going to hurt, but it honestly just felt like a pinch when they injected the needle. She did this like 6 times, so for me it felt like several pinches, but it really wasn't bad at all. I thought I was going to see the procedure, which scared me, but I couldn't see anything after they flipped the eyelid. Overall, the worst part for me was the annoying feeling of having gunk in my eye while the incision was healing shut. It kept draining for around 4 or 5 days. It was like a snotty material that would run along the bottom inside of my eyelid and gather in the corner. I know it is gross, but just keep a kleenex with you for several days to clean it out once every hour or two and you won't even notice it. Mine was swollen for several days. Honestly, I still have a bump under my eye that is about the size of half a pea. The doctor thought there might be two under there, but wasn't sure so she only dealt with the one at the time. I have a feeling I will end up having to go back, but am going to give it another 3 weeks because they say it can take up to 6 weeks to heal completely. Just thought I would give my input because I was really scared to get this surgery and scared it was going to hurt as well, but it really didn't. So if you need to get yours out, you shouldn't hesitate to do it and just get it over with. It wasn't bad at all. Good luck.

We must have gone to the same Dr. I also have vision problems after the chalazion removal that I did not have before. God Willing my vision goes back to normal.

Guest wrote:

go through.

Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks

i had an surgery chalazion removal....dnt worry.it hardly takes 15-20 min.its simple...and i am okkk now...

I am having the surgery done next week to remove a chalazion from lower lid. Do they give you pain medication for after the surgery? Did anyone have alot of pain in the days following the surgery?

I just had mine removed yesterday in Thailand, the doctor didn't even tell me what it was and i had to discover myself from the internet. The nurses told me that i could take out the pad after 3 hours from surgery and can put contact lens back on right away? that didn't make sense to me so I surf the net and took it off after 8 hours instead and have been wearing glasses since. But today I decided to put n some mascara and liner and now by the end of the night my eye is starting to feel worse than before. I have been really careful though with the process of putting and taking out the make up, is make up really a big NO NO? :(

Hi..I had a chalazion on my upper eyelid for almost 8 months. Tried the warm compresses but those weren't too helpful. Finally decided to get it removed through surgery. I must say, the experience wasn't a pleasant one. It was painful. But I would rather endure the pain than have to live with the chalazion.

My first surgery wasn't too good. The doctor told me there was very little 'liquid stuff' and most of it was harden tissue. Despite the surgery, the chalazion did not go away and the bump was still very obvious. Decided to go for a second surgery after about 3 months.

I told the doctor that my chalazion was hardly going away and during the surgery, I could really feel that she was trying to dig out every possible traces of what was in the chalazion. Though the bump has since gone, I still do have minimal scar tissues that are visible only under close scrutiny.

I am very glad that I had opted for the surgery. For those of you who fear surgery and the pain, do give it a second thought. You could always request from the doctor more jabs of anaesthesia and you would probably feel much better from the second day after the surgery.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I'm 14 years old and I just got mine removed about 20 minutes ago.
They gave me an ice pack to numb the lid before giving me the Local.
Then gave me numbing drops
After the drops I did the ice pack a little more
Then they gave me the injection. I was surprised at how much it did hurt. I read all the comments on here about how its the worst. Even though it does hurt, its only for 15 seconds. That was the worst part of the whole procedure.
Then they put the clamp on my eye. It feels weird but taking a few deep breathes helped a lot. I got used to it quickly.
they then did the actual procedure and alll you feel is a little pressure, no pain at all.
They gave me a patch and it only hurts a little now.
All is well. You'll be perfectly fine(: