Hi everyone. I have several cats, but my youngest cat I feel most attached too. And I can tell you I spoiled her very much. And it’s not a good thing. Anyway, I’ve had problems with my cats before when it comes to their skin. Sometimes they get a rash and it’s usually some kind of allergic reaction, but this is the first time that my youngest cat gets a rash. It’s located under her chin. I noticed it yesterday after I saw her scratching. Do you have any idea what is the best treatment for this rash? Thank you in advance.:)

I don’t know much about cat rashes but whenever my cat had one, I successfully treated it with aloe vera. I love aloe vera and I use it for both myself and my cat.

It has a calming effect on the skin and you can find aloe vera gels and stuff like that, so that you don’t need to buy the actual plant and prepare the gel yourself.

There are also some sprays for cat’s rashes but I am not sure if they work or now, I’ve never tried them.

I’ve heard that they’re good though. You can find them in almost every pet shop.

I have this problem with my cat, it happens usually in the autumn and spring. It was not big problem for me, because I was successfully treating it with aloe vera and chamomile tea. I am always for natural treatments, but there are a number of treatments for cat skin problems. There is one spray, salve, it is antibacterial and anti – inflammatory, and it can help reduce the itchiness, irritation and reddens in your cat’s skin. But, of course, don’t remember that all cats who have some skin problems, should be examined by your vet, because he is the only one who can tell you the proper diagnosis. This is a first step :)

Hi there. As you already know, I don’t have a cat, but my mom had several of cats. She had the similar case with her cat. So, she went to see the vet, and he gave her some spray. This spray was pretty good, the itchiness disappeared, the redness as well. But, it was a little bit expensive, and she depleted this spray very fast. So, she started to bath her cat with chamomile tea, and this rash just disappeared in two weeks, I think. So, natural remedies are the best and they are not expensive as well. Try it. 

It all depends on the cause of the rash. If the cause of the rash was some kind of food allergy, the treatment should include diet elimination. Place your pet on a hypoallergenic diet. This diet usually considers giving your cat a protein source that wasn’t consumed before. When the rash goes away you can return to normal food.

If the rash occurred due to flea bites, there is flea medication as the main treatment.

And if your cat has allergy dermatitis, take her to the vet and she will be prescribed anti-allergic medication. And you’ll need to determine the allergen that caused the rash.

I am not a vet, but I think it might be feline acne. This is caused by bacteria and it appears in the chin area. My advice is- make sure you are using stainless steel or porcelain food and water dishes. I am using them too because plastic tends to hold and cultivate bacteria.  You will read everywhere that plastic dishes are notorious for causing feline acne.You can buy some "Hibiclens" . It’s a product that will help your cat with this. Pour a little of it onto a cotton ball and rub it around your cat’s chin.

It will probably disappear in 2 days or so. 

My thoughts exactly. It’s a very good chance that she has feline acne. There are several possible causes of this skin problem:

- weakened immune system
- overproduction of sebum
- bacteria (from dirty food bowls)
- poor grooming
- dermatitis or some similar skin disease
- in rare cases, stress

The first step is to replace plastic and/or rubber food and water dishes and next one is to visit your vet and see if this is mild or severe case of feline acne.
Severe cases need to be treated with antiseborrheic shampoos which contains benzoyl peroxide and you need to add Omega-3 and Omega-6 supplements into your cat’s nutrition plan.