I have a serious problem. I am only a teenager so I cant do anything about it. We rent a house that in the basement has white/grey tape around the ductwork. Most of it is damaged. I can almost gurantee its asbestos and ive tried to convince my parents to do something about it. They think everythings ok because my dad worked in asbestos removal for eight years. He is going to go down there with some paint that bonds stuff together and he is going to tape the parts that are ripped and hanging then paint over it. After all the research I have done that doesnt seem safe. They just wont listen to me. Now, our Christmas stuff is down there and they are bringing it up tomorrow and setting up the tree and stuff. So all the fibers are going to be brought up here. So how dangerous is all of this. This is all i think about most of the day and its been going on for months. I just dont know what to do, and im scared. I'm just looking for help anywhere. I dont want to get sick when im in the prime of my life and have a family. I just get sick over this matter. So sorry for the long post but i just need someone to talk to me about this. Thanks.

Hey alex sorry to here of your predicament..... you could for the time being wear a dust mask to prevent the asbestos fibers from entering your lungs. Maby wearing a mask and refusing to takeit off will get the point across to your parents..... I'm here if you need to talk