I need some answers. We have lived in our house for the past 8 years and I feel that some, if not all of the sickness might be coming from our house. Our house was built in 1875. We have remodeled some of the house and some of it was remodeled before we moved in but i am sure that some of it is original. It has a crawlspace that gets water in it when we get a lot of rain. I know that our house has mold, just as every house has some mold in it, but I am wondering if this is the mold that could be making us sick. Over that past 8 years my kids have been sick with several things and some not very common including the following:
several ear infections, some infection to the ear that made my sons ear stick out at a 90 degree angle, strep throat, bronchitis, bronchialitis, RSV, pneumonia, shingles, MRSA staff infection located on the knee, roto-virus, constant runny nose and cough, chronic stomach aches, chronic migraines and now just found out that my 6 year old is in the beginning stages of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and my 8 year old had to have a blood test because all of her lymph nodes were swollen. Her blood test showed that there wasn't any infection but her white blood count was unusually high so she is taking medication and will have more blood work done after the medication is gone. I am just wondering if something can be making us sick. I know that we need to do some fixing of our bathroom, kitchen and basement to keep the moisture out but financially I cannot afford anything. Is there a testing agency out there to see if the house is making us sick and if it is is there any agencys or grants or charity's to help fix these things? Any help out there with any of these answers is appreciated.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I am very interested in whether you got any information. I too live in a very old house and am concerned about my childrens health. Mine are not nearly as sick as yours, but are very often sick with coughs and colds. Please let me know if you got any answers.

My house is 225 years old and I've never worried about it causing sickness. first of all, when they built it, they only had natural building materials. I have a crawl space that has a river running through it when it rains hard enough. Over the years there have been enough leaks to cause mold in some of the wood.

The remodeling might be a problem though. Recent building materials have been show to cause illness and in particular the stuff from China has been really bad. There is so much bad stuff coming from China I can't believe our government allows anything from there into the country any more.

Newer houses are air tight which also causes some problems. If your old house has been sealed up to save on heating costs, that might be causing a problem.

jaggraphics: I know your post was from a few months ago but hopefully this post will make it to you. I, too, have a very similar situation as yours. The latest is my 14 yr old daughter may have Lupus. I am so frustrated at why I have two kids that have been sick for so long and before going into any details or comparing notes, I wondered if you've had any luck at finding answers to the questions you posted in October. I look forward to your reply/response. ~Tracy

I could have written your post!!! Our house was built in 1892. We have been here for 10 years. My husband developed psoriasis about 6 months after we moved in. He was an over the road truck driver but when he took a job to be home on a daily basis, his psoriasis became progressively worse and he has since developed psoriatic arthritis. He had a high white blood cell count for 9 months, always tired, constant headache, and stomach pain.
Our children or myself are always sick. For example, from November to March we have had at least one of us sick in our home: ear infection, ruptured ear drum, strep throat, upper respiratory infection, constant runny noses, and constant coughs.
It is so bad our 6 year old said, "Mommy, why am I always sick and have a runny nose and cough when I am at home but not at school?"
We are moving. The doctors act as if I am nuts.
I have found that chemicals in carpet, drywall, mold, and fungus can make you sick but I am not sure if we have any of these issues. We probably do but we don't have the money to have our house tested.
We lost our house back to the bank and are in the process of finding a different one. I think this will end up being the biggest blessing of our lives.

I have the answer for what is going on in your house and your health. I have all the same symptoms after i remodeled my house build in 1965. The problem with the house is the indoor air. It is not mold or fumes, it is gypsum dust that is hanging in the air. I hired and environmental company to do a particle count in the air and it was over 1,000,000 particles of Gypsum mainly which consist of Calcium Sulfate and Calcium Hydroxide. If anyone is reading this you need to go to a pulmonologist and get and Arterial Blood Gas Test and a Venous Blood Gas Test. This will tell you how low oxygen is circulating you blood. Arterial Blood gas is the important, but most important in this case is the venous blood gas. I been to a number of doctors and everyone thought I had some kind of anxiety which is so stupid because that all doctors can say when they can diagnose you with anything and when they dont wan to listen to you. let me know if anyone has more question. My symptoms is upper back pain, shortness of breath, weak muscles some nausea dizziness.