Hi my name is john im also fighting this horrible drug off. i was on norcos, should have stayed off the methadone. ive been going to the clinic form aug. 23rd of 2012 6 months. The highest dose i was on was 80mgs, which i should have never been that high. Im decreasing 5 mgs a week till omgs. im at 44mgs right now.i dont know if im withdrawling right now? i have high blood pressure im takeing meds for that. anyways im cold all the time im dizzy, when i close my eyes its worse.my blood pressure is ok. I can sleep ok. so i dont know if im withdrawling? bloodpressure meds causeing prob.? stress. anyone have any clues? i hope i can go 5 mgs a week? is that to much? thankyou.

I'm form Mobile Alabama and I'm pulling for you to make it. I was on Methadone for 21 years. I,ve been off now for six months. I worked down form 180mg nothing but I went very slow. One thing I notice that everyone has in common and that's laying in bed to cope with the sickness. I wonted to but I walked and worked out. I did not wont to but I made myself everyday. I would not have made it if I did not work out. When I would get depressed I would walk 2 or 3 miles, come back and take a hot shower. You have the best reason in the world to clean up, Your Kids, They need you and wont you, I'm pulling for you and I wont you to kick the F--- out of this addiction and you can I did and I'm just a normal everyday red neck form Alabama. Go for it sister. Good luck and God Bless

Please I know I do not know you but in away I know you better then anybody because we're both addicts. Stop kicking your self, You have enough sense to get on this board and ask for help. That's more then alot of people I know. I kicked 180mg habit that I had been on for 21 years, I'm 53 years old. I went down slow,sometimes 10mg a week sometimes 5 every two or three weeks, I walked a total of 5 miles aday,toke hot showers and went to NA meetings. If I can do it brother I know you can. Get something that you wont,It has to be something greater then the drug. Us that for your goal. You can kick this. I started looking at the medication as a enemy and not as a friend. I carried the methadone flag for 20 years and one day I woke up and got pissed that I had wasted 20 years of my life. you can kick it, DO NOT RIDE IT OUT IN THE BED, keep moving and don't stop. Get mad as hell and don't take it no more. If I can do it you damn sure can, I was sicker then sick. Good luck and get ready for the rest of your life on life's terms. It's not as bad as we addicts take it to be,

I read your story and wanted to see how you are doing? I am detoxing myself right now 5mg per every 7days
..I am at 40 now and doing it this way is going to leave me with my last dose being 5/7/13. It seems far but I'm doing ok I've changed my diet to egg whites in the morning on flatbread, salad for lunch and a protein shake for dinner and at least two bottles of water. Most important is vitamins I take once a day after eating: a multivitamin with iron, and then I take the next vitamins at the same time vitamin c, vitamin b12, vitamin d3 to absorb the vit. C, calcium, magnesium. Then after dinner I'm taking 2
vitamin C and 1 calcium plus valarion root with melatonin. And about 9pm I drink a cup of sleepytime tea. I went from 75mgs. To 50mgs of methadone in one week and then did the 5mg. Taper x every 7 days and so far so good . Best of all I live on a fixed income and know what its like to be there for your kids. You can buy most of the vitamins listed in the dollarstore and anyone they don't have you get at cvs they usually have vitamins buy one get one free. Have antidiarrheal medicine on had just in case I haven't need it yet. If your stomach is upset and feels like sh**, eat plain toast and always take vitamins with food. Let me know how you make out by responding here or to

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

. Hope this helps. -just someone who cares

I was on Methadone for 3 years, the clinics don't want to tell you how to get off because that is how they make money. The withdrawal is awful, I believe worse then the opiates. You have to drop 5 milligrams every 2 weeks (I actually did it 5 miligrams a wk, wanted off so badly). Drop 5 milligrams every 2 wks for a total of 8 wks(down 20 milligrams) then you have to level off for 4 weeks, after that start dropping 5 again every 2 wks for 8 wks, level off again. keep doing this until about 5 milligrams a day. level off for a few weeks, then 1 milligram every couple of days until your last 1 milligram dose. I went from 60 milligrams a day for 3 yrs, started this regiment in March took last 1 milligram dose on August 31. Don't let the clinics drop you a milligram a day, it's too fast and makes you sick. they do it on purpose, remember its how they make money, they don't want peeps to get off. I argued with the director, Told them I'm paying, you do what I tell you. This works and you don't get sick, a little uncomfortable when you drop, that's why you need the 2 wks(or if really determined, I did 5 milligrams a week for 4 wks, then leveled off for 2). This really does work. Good luck to you, and keep trying, don't give up you'll do it. I was off 10 yrs, but recently started tabs, that's why I am on this site.

i don't see where u said u are doin it coldturke because ur takin lortab so ur getting off one an getting on another

im tj i have also been on methadone for a year in a half i was at 120 mg you can i dropped down to 50 mg then i had to go out of town with no notice for my job. i went to the clinic to get a guest doose they told me it takes 3 days for that to go threw. i was in fear but i did what any of us would do so i tracked down some 30 mg morphine pills i got ten that held me over for a few days. now let me say i was sick and tired of the methadone ball and chain too . my clinic called me while i was out of town and said ur guest doose has been approved so i went there and reall it was a waste of time because my doctor didnt sing the release so i said screw this im done thats when i got the 30 by the way. but anyway i was so angry i said i will show them i dont need them so i drilled it in my head thats not allways easy either. so ran out of the morphine then got 5 subutex stared at 12 dropped 4 mg every day then las day dropped to 2 remind you that i made all these last for 10 days the subs and the morphine. oh yea dont take a sub if you have opiod in your system it will kick you in to withdraw or thats what happend to me but after i dryed all that up i went and got fish oil and vitamins and imodium for the stomach and robotussin night time for the runny nose and to help sleep now i dropped at 50mg if i wasnt clear. stay away from iron right now . so im now on day 10 of no subutex and 20 of methadone and i feel fine after i ran out of subs the firtst day was hard but i made it just remember time never stops so every minute hour and day you wait your almost threw. we are all have a common bond so us junkies must stick togeather may you find what your looking for until then...............

This post has really opened my eyes. I am on 40 mg. of methadone and have no pain doctor anymore, but I have enough methadone to withdraw myself off it. I am not sure how much to cut down a day though. I am extremely tired all the time and eat like a pig, always craving sweets too. I wish now i had never got on the stuff. Thanks to your post you have given me the courage to do this on my own without a clinics help, thanks so much for sharing!!!

If your not taking methadones but you use a loratab here or there through out the methadone withdrawal process how can you say your "fooling yourself". Loratab and methadone are two different types of drugs. By taking a small dose here or there during methadone withdrawal isn't stopping the methadone withdrawal process. Your simply helping some of the withdrawal symptoms. As long as you don't take the loratab excessively and just for a couple days, the methadone gets out of your system and you don't take anymore loratabs. So I find it rude that you would put someone down that's trying really freaking hard to stop the worst drug withdrawal in their life! You shouldn't comment if you don't have positive reinforcement to someone who's going through something so physical, mentally, and emotionally challenging. From someone who went through methadone withdrawals after 5yr addiction and did use loratab a couple times through out withdrawal process and is doing ok

I like your honesty, and I get it. I'm 50 y.o. gay man in Mpls. I've been on Methadone for 16 years, first prescribed by a pain clinic then I wanted a higher dose so I went to a clinic & proceeded to jack my dose up to 190 mg at one point. For about 5 years I've been at 140, then last Summer was diagnosed with a rare disease of the liver. I don't drink or have hep but my liver has scar tissue so I had six surgeries. Pain was terrible and there will be more so I have decided to get off so the other narcs will work better. I started by dropping 10mg every 4 days. Docs, counselors, & patients all said it would be unbearable, and I promised myself & my husband that I'd slow down if I got "sick". It never happened. No nausea, no sleep issues, no anxiety, no diarrhea - nothing. So I continued, every 4 days, down to 60 mg. I stayed at 60 for 7 days just because I wanted to give some time in case it was going to catch up on me. But I felt fine. Now, keep in mind that I have prescriptions for plenty of Clonidine, which is available in pills or a patch, easy to get, not a controlled substance - any doc would be happy to prescribe it for w/d. Also, I use a long-acting Benzo called Restoril for a sleep disorder - these two drugs definitely make my situation easier, but I highly recommend anyone detoxing Methadone should have Clonidine and some Benzo to help.
Anyway, I started dropping by 5 mg every 5 d, down to 50 mg where I am now. Tomorrow I will be at 40 mg because I decided that there was no difference between dropping by 5 vs 10 mg, at least not so far. Now let me be clear - I have dropped from 140 mg to 50 mg in six weeks. In that time, I have felt absolutely no nausea, sweating, insomnia, muscle cramps, muscle spasms, or digestion problems. I have felt some occasional anxiety, a few days of depressed or sad mood, but only briefly and mild. Will it get harder as I go lower? Maybe, but if so then I'll slow down. But what I really regret is not doing this years ago just because I listened to everyone's horror stories, warnings, and predictions of failure. When it comes to drugs and their metabolic effects - EVERYONE IS UNIQUE! Never assume your experience will be anything like the "stories" people tell around clinics. And don't even try to get off opiates until you really have something wonderful, positive, and healthy to replace it with.

Wondering how you are now ND yoursafe babies?God Blessvickie

You will make it! Don't ever give up. Keep trying.

Omg hi my name is Stephanie I am just taking my last 2mlg I feel u on all topic I was at a clinic methadone they tapered me the last 30 MLG were done in 10 days n here iam my last dose I know what to expect but don't give up thanks for feedback

You are amazing stay positive you will get through it I will pray for you!

sweetie i sympathize with u truly i do , im currently on 80ml meth a day n im due to go into rehab nw 24th im so scared ,, ive done cold turkey before with nothing at all , nt even a paracetamol ,, but im so frightened this time