I have had mid-back, shoulder blade pain for years, mostly on left side, with no explanation other than muscles being tight and weak. About a year ago I noticed a small area of numbness. Over the last year numbness has spread to my left side and front of body, from ribs to top of breast. Most recently the underside of my upper left arm has become numb also. Back pain is nearly always present, and occasionally deep breaths are excruciating, feels almost like a broken rib. MRIs (3 of them) have shown nothing and physical therapy has not helped...I am increasingly frustrated and concerned. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of all this?

You may have symptoms of angina. Angina is a prelude to a heart attack. Symptoms of angina in women may be different from that in men and tend to be more subtle. I suggest you visit a cardiologist for further evaluation.

Have you considered a hidden pinched nerve. That pain can be horrible. A pinched nerve can go undetected sometimes. It sounds like you've seen a CNS (Central Nervous System) specialist. Have you? Is there any history of CNS disease in your family. Did you play sports previously? These are all questions that might lead to some speculation or answers. How about foot problems that may cause your posture to be off-centured? This can cause other problems too.