All this started after I got my morphine pump for my bad back. Now when I fall asleep on my back the pressure on my rt. side makes the top rt. side of my thigh will get extremely hot like fire.So if I get up evey hour and a half or so and stand the numbness/pain would go away.Well this morning(after 3-4 mos of 1 1/2 chucks of sleep at night)I slept from 11:55 to 5:15 AM awaking to a super numb upper thigh. I stood up to get feeling in my thigh and I HAVE NEVER FELT PINPOINT PAIN like this before.It felt like I got got shot on the side of my leg.It was literally on fire and it got alittle puffy.My wife awoke to me screaming the firey pain lasted for 10 - 15 mins.As long as I keep waking up all night my thigh just gets really hot and numb, but I am so tired from this. Has any one had this? can this be sciatica(spelling maybe wrong)

Celebrity
It definitely sounds like a pinched nerve (nerve under pressure) but you need to have this screened to see what's causing it.

Pinched nerves can be caused by compression, constriction, or stretching, by a herniated disc or by bone spurs that form from spinal arthritis. Also, an injury, repetitive motions or joint disease could be to blame too.

I have this exact same issue, but I've never had any real back problems. If i lay on my back even for a few moments, my right thigh starts to go numb on the outside. If I wake in the night sleeping on my back and try and move, I get intense pain/burning feeling. It is quite superficial feeling, only the skin seems to be affected. It happened again this morning and still feels tender to the touch. To borrow and expression, "I feel your pain", and it is no fun at all. Off to the doc I suppose. I figured it had to be a pinched nerve or something, but wasn't sure.

Yes I have the same issue. I read it can be caused from obesity or nerve damage... MRI to find the cause. I am on the heavy side and my upper thigh goes numb then burns like hell... I know exactly what you are saying I continue to deal with lower back issues as well. The doctors are not much help around here...