I have heard that bagged frozen vegetables are not as good as fresh ones. Why is that? My wife and I do not have the time to buy fresh vegetables every day and they are important part of our meals. We are both physically active; we have our own program, a mixture of body fitness, aerobic and running. The program is really great for us, and we combine it with healthy food. But what about these vegetables?

You have heard right about frozen vegetables. The destruction the low temperature causes is on the cellular level. Fluids in cells become frozen, turn to crystal, which destroys the cell, and all the good things vegetables have, vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc. On the other hand, frizzing vegetables is the only way to store them for a long period of time. If you really want to eat healthy, then you must find time to buy fresh veggies.

In the late 90's scientists discovered that frozen vegetables are no less healthy than fresh. In fact, frozen spinach is healthier than fresh.
The reason for this surprising finding is that while vegetables are always frozen when they are fresh, supermarket fresh vegetables may have travelled quite far before reaching the shelves. Therefore, frozen vegetables are effectively fresher.

Whether that is true or not doesn't matter; frozen veggies are still definitely better for you than no veggies!! :-)