Hello everyone. I have a dog that is 7 years old. Over the years I have been feeding him with so many different kinds of food. I used to give him only canned food when he was younger. Then, after a year or two I put him on a raw feeding plan. Since that was too much time consuming, I gave up raw food and I started feeding him with dry & canned food. Occasionally I prepare a raw meal for him, but it’s mostly kibble combined with canned food. Now I’ve decided to put him on BARF diet, so I wanted to ask you does this diet promote frozen foods?

Hey there. I know a lot dog owners, and a lot of them were feeding their dogs with everything. Only lately, they keep saying good things about raw food. 

About your question, I am not so sure, but I think that I was reading about this a few weeks ago. I know that commercial raw food diets can be purchased fresh or frozen. So, according to this, I think that BARF diet include frozen foods as well. If you want start with BARF diet food, I think that it is the best for you to prepare food for your dog, and frozen foods should be something that you will give him when you don’t have time to cook. That is my opinion, but I repeat, I am not so sure about this. 

To be honest, I find this question a little bit confusing. :)

From what I know, BARF diet is promoting raw food. Word BARF is short for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food so we can easily say what it promotes just from this acronym.

However, a lot of companies are making the frozen products according to BARF diet. The reason for frizzing is very simple and obvious- raw food is extremely perishable.

To sum up, there are a lot of frozen BARF products but that doesn’t mean this type of diet is promoting frozen foods. That just means freezing is the only way for companies to keep their products fresh.

The BARF diet doesn’t promote frozen food per se, but you can feed your pet with raw food if food is still fresh. I mean, if you are feeding your pet according to BARF and don’t have time to prepare every meal individually, you will make larger amount and put the rest into a freezer. That way, you made “frozen food”. That’s why some people think the BARF is promoting frozen food.

If you want to feed your pet according to BARF pay attention that you always give him/her fresh food to avoid GI complication or problems with internal organs.

Anyway, I think you made the right decision by switching to BARF.

It doesn’t exactly promote frozen foods. BARF is all about fresh, raw foods. If you have to choose between processed food and raw, frozen food, then of course you should choose frozen. But the best option is always fresh, raw meat.

There are some BARF frozen products. As you already said, raw food is perishable and they must find a way to prevent it to deteriorate.

But if you decide to prepare meals at home for you pet, then you should always buy fresh, raw meat and vegetables. If you don’t have the time to prepare meals at home, then frozen food will do too.

Hey there. No way! BARF diet does not promote frozen foods. I mean, there are some BARF frozen products, but this is “just in case” food. But, they promote homemade frozen foods, that you prepare alone, and put it in the freezer. I think that it is a good thing that you have chosen BARF diet program, because there are a lot of benefits, but I am preparing food for my dog alone. I am totally just for raw, fresh food and that is my choice. But, BARF is not bad option at all. You should try it.

Have a nice day! 

Um, I am not sure what are you asking, I mean, I do, but since we all do know that BARF promotes raw diet program, I am not really sure what do you want to know. Is this diet promotes frozen foods? No, it doesn’t. Just raw food. Of course, preparing raw meals for your dog means that you can prepare it one day and freeze it. But, I think that preparing the food alone, for your pets, is something the best that you can do. I am doing it and I am really happy. Of course, BARF has some frozen products, but that doesn’t mean that this diet program promote it :)

I totally agree with Mima. I think she explained everything about BARF diet and frozen foods.

Maybe you can find some brands of foods that are made according to BARF diet and they are frozen but that is just because they must freeze it, I mean, that’s raw meat guys.

To be more precise, I would say that BARF diet as a concept is totally against frozen foods. You see, BARF is promoting fresh and raw food and we can say that frozen foods are fresh. Ok, by freezing them they prevent foods from perishing but it is not the same when you give your pet truly fresh chicken breasts and when you give him frozen chicken breasts.