Hi. I never had a dog as a pet. But, now, since I found one dog in my garden, I am really thinking to keep it with me. She is really adorable and when I saw her, it was just a love at first sight. I am reading a little about foods for pets, what can be the best for my new pet (I mean, I really hope that she will be my pet now), and I found out that BARF food is something that is really healthy. I don’t know that much about it, so I was wondering can you tell me what are the basic principles of the BARF diet for pets? 

I love BARF diet, I’ve had so many problems with my dog until I started preparing him food according to BARF rules. Since then, we haven’t had any problems regarding health. And the best thing is, my dog is loving it! 

Basic principles would be: 

1. Don’t eat cooked food ( heating food above 116 degrees destroys essential enzymes) 

2. choose Filtered or Distilled Water (avoid tap water which may contain contaminants) 

3. Buy Organic (free from chemical pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers)

4. Soak Nuts (it will make them more digestible ) and

5. Avoid Certain Foods (like dairy and eggs).

The main principle is raw food. Your pet should eat raw food. The main mission of the manufacturers is to produce the highest quality pet food at an affordable price for anyone. They are using only raw materials that have not been processed or cooked. At all. These raw materials should feed your new member, to be healthy. They do not add any chemicals, preservations, colors, etc. It is all about feeding your pet properly. The aim of this diet program is to maximize the health, longevity and reproductive capacity of pets.

Now, since you have a cat, you should know this. It is the same! 

Hello. There is not so much to say, because I don’t know what to add more. Everything is true. One thing you should know – BARF might look complicated for you, but it is not. Who wants to learn, it will, because this is healthy nutrition eating plan for your pet. Once you learn that if you want to feed your dog according to BARF diet program, that means that this doesn’t mean that you can feed your dog with cooked or processed. Avoid cookie grains, because they can cause some health problems.

The raw food is good, for humans and pets as well. 

I really don’t know why everyone loves BARF. I have several friends who feed their dogs this way and believe me, their health is not at all better than my dog’s.
First of all, the main idea behind BARF is to feed dogs with raw food and bones because that is the most similar to the diet of wild canids, and therefore that should be the most natural way to feed our dogs. But is it? Can you really compare house dogs with wild canids?
Raw vegetables can often be poorly digested by dogs. And not to mention that most of the nutrients in raw vegetables are more available when they are lightly cooked .

As a girl who LOVES BARF, I’ll explain to you why everyone is so obsessed with preparing raw food for their dogs.

First of all, when buying dog food, you have no idea what ingredients you are getting along with it and where those ingredients came from. The food often has preservatives added in it that enhance product shelf life. When preparing your own food home, there is no need to worry about that, you have the control.

Raw bones that are included in this type of diet are great for dog’s dental hygiene, and therefore for his overall health. Those are only some of the reasons.

I totally agree with you that the best food for our dogs is raw food. But, I don't think that insisting on some kind of "diet" is necessity. I mean, diet for a dog? Healthy nutrition - maybe, but diet, I don't think so. 

Just prepare food for your pet at home and take care that you are buying fresh foods. It would be ideal to buy it on the farm if you have any of them close to the place where you live. I give my corgi frozen foods as well, so you can experiment with various kinds of food as long as you are positive that they are fresh. 

I agree with you as well, because I can guarantee that there are no better solution for your dog and for you as well, than raw food. So, this is why I really respect BARF diet for pets. It is healthy, it can be wrong, raw food is not processed so all those nutrient will be there, in the food. And, this is something that your dog needs. Not just your dog, any pet. I prepare food for my dog every day, of course, I use only fresh ingredients and I prepare the food for three meals. I don’t need to explain you that my dog was never seriously sick.