Is belching a symptom of a serious problem? Is it caused by food or when person swallows too much air? I am having problems with belching very often and I don’t seem to find the cause of it. I am afraid that this is a symptom of some serious condition. Is there any test that I can do, or X ray? It became very annoying to live with this. Pleas tell me what are the treatments available for belching.

Sometimes excessive belching is associated with GERD, and treatment of this condition may alleviate bothersome burping. Medications, such as simethicone, are generally useless for excessive belching, also changing a lifestyle like avoidance of rapid eating, chewing gum, carbonated beverages and stopping smoking are often recommended but the response is variable. It is clear that some individuals swallow too much air into the stomach, eating quickly, gulping food or beverages, and other habits such as drinking through a straw, chewing gum, sucking on hard candy or wearing loose fitting dentures may contribute to excessive air swallowing. When simple reassurance and lifestyle modifications are not satisfactory, then you should consider psychological treatments such as relaxation therapy or behavioral therapy. Rarely patients can have a serious underlying disease of the digestive tract from belching.