Sometimes when I go for a run, I get this painful bloated feeling and I feel like a bowel movement is eminent (although this is rarely the case). Is there any way to prevent this feeling? This does not happen all the time, so I don't know what I do different from one day to the next. At first I thought this was a hydration issue, but how much water I drink beforehand doesn't seem to resolve the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, yes it happens that runners experience some of the gastrointestinal problems. Some of the most common symptoms athletes may encounter are belching, pain in the abdominal area, nausea, vomiting, flatulence and a need for a bowel movement. The symptoms are even worse if you get dehydrated.
This happens when you swallow air or eating a lot of simple sugars. If you are having too much sugar, it may not be absorbed and when it reaches large bowel it could ran into bacteria that would digest them and cause a lot of gas. Bacteria encounter could also lead to both bloating and cramping.
Similar things happen with air, it may be either expelled through belching or it may reach intestines and be expelled as flatulence but if there’s too much air in the intestines, you may get bloated.
So, try belching when it comes to it and eat less sugar foods.