Hello! I have decided to make a habit of drinking tea. Many of my friends advised me that I should drink green and black tea since they are the healthiest. I took their advice and wanted to surprise my best friend when she came in for a cup of coffee by making us some tea instead. She was very pleased. Yet, she attacked me when I reached for some sugar saying that I will ruin any health benefit I would have had from tea if I put sugar in it. Is she right? How much sugar I can put in my cup of tea?

Hello! I am sorry to be the one to tell you that your friend is absolutely right. Sugar contains no vitamins or minerals, and what’s more your body has to spend the ones it stored from the healthy food you eat just to fully move the sugar out of your digestive system. As a result, the sugar essentially robs your body of these beneficial nutrients. Your body could be using these nutrients for far more important purposes such as to fight infections or allergies. Because of this you loose energy and your immune system weakens. So my advice: put no sugar! If you have to drink your tea sweetened take it with honey and a bit of lemon juice.

Hi! I am of British origin and although I do agree that sugar is bad I cannot agree that you should drink tea with honey instead. If you were in Britain and asked for honey for your tea they would laugh at you! It simply doesn’t go together. Maybe you could use some artificial sweeteners instead, but be careful because I heard that some are carcinogenic. I think though that one or two teaspoons of sugar per day wont harm you anyway, so enjoy your tea as you like it!

Those are both really shitty answers.  If you want sugar, go for it, a little isn't going to hurt you.  It DEFINITELY isn't going to rob you of nutrients, and it isn't going to hurt you, either.  Unless you're using half a cup of sugar then, yeah, you might want to hold back.

Oh, and I don't mind that I'm 5 years late to the conversation.

u must put the amount ok

It depends on what you care most, if you care the weight, you may add less and less, for that it will be helpful for your absorption,distribution,metabolism and excretion.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Stevia! It's a natural sweetener.

How many spoons of sugar you can put in a cup of tea

Most of my family and friends have 2 spoons of sugar on their cup of tea .
Not green tea but normal tea that you add milk to .
I have 3 or 4 sugars in my cup of tea

hello, i drink alot of tea aswell and i only have 2 sugars with it but green tea is way better, helps you lose wieght.

Why you begging it? you dont have green tea

um... excuse me, do iknow you ?

Thank you so much for the tip

The recommended daily intake of added sugar is 25 grams to 50 grams depending on the source (American Cardiac Associations versus WHO organization.) for women. That's about 6 to 12 teaspoons. So putting a teaspoon of sugar in your tea is not going to hurt you if you don't eat a lot of sugar in other ways. By the way as a physician I can tell you that normal amounts of sugar do not "rob" you of vitamins and minerals.

I used to put a small amount of sugar in my tea and coffee. But i decided to refuse sugar at all. It took some time, but now i drink tea and coffee without sugar. And finally i can feel the real taste of tea. I am planning to refuse coffee at all now