I've been on a temporary work assignment , and 3 out of 4 days this week for lunch ;-) I created my own salad using guess what...................pine nuts. I think I kind of remember as a child thinking pine sap was honey (you know like winnie the pooh) anywho I ate some and regretted it for a while. I think this may be the culprit. I find it kind of ioronic that we all had pine nuts prior to the bitter taste.

I too have recently experienced a bitter taste in the mouth after eating and wondered what the cause was. I have tried new hay fever medication, but it is not listed as a known side effect. I have also lost a lot of weight over the last 5 months and my mum suggested that I might be burning protein rather than fat which apparently causes acetone on the breath - but why would the bitter taste start now?

I am hopeful that the pine-nuts I have eaten recently might be the explanation, although I have never experienced this before. I will check the source (Waitrose & You Are What You Eat) to see if they are from China.

same here, last monday bought some pine nuts from tesco, cooking tea one afternoon the food didnt taste right, really bitter at the back of my throat like the bitterness from taking say asprin and it dont go down first time u can taste the tablet and its nasty....the next day it was worse and was enough to put me off eating altogether as it really intesified during and after eating......i researched bitter taste on net and amazed how many here are having the same prob......i wouldnt have made the connection to pine nuts if i hadnt seen it here....but thats exactly what i had been eating....i was thinking chemicals the farmers srpaying on the fields.....so far ive had this since thursday and its not as bad but im still aware its there after eating.....its weird that it intensifies during and after eating what can keep resurecting this sensation....anyway hope this settles pretty soon for us all

I have just started experiencing an extremely bitter taste while eating; meat, dairy, whatever. And true to the other entries, I snacked on some pine nuts two days ago. I purchased them from Trader Joe's. Has anyone gotten a Dr's opinion?

Last week I also bought pine-nuts in a carton to snack on and have had a sour taste in my mouth for a few days. These pine-nuts, also from Tesco have a flavouring on them and are delicious. It's strange to think that we have all had the same reaction - I was starting to think that it was all in my mind

Heth

unbelievable, about the pine nuts... My daughter and I have both been complaining to each otherabout a bitter taste in our mouths everytime we eat, was starting to g4et a bit concerned... so looked on net and found this site... and unbelievable we also ate pine nuts 2 days ago............ am so relieved to know everyone who has this 0on this site has eaten pine nuts!!!! ha ha ha.... hope it all passes for everyone soonx x x x

Wow, I had the same problem and it has driven me 'nuts'! I had no clue until I saw this...I too had pine nuts in the past few days and have the bitter taste in the back of my throat..

I can add myself to the list of those experiencing very bitter taste in back of mouth / top of throat. And had Tesco pine nuts just a few days ago. I wonder if they were off? How long does it last? I saw one post offering 2 days to 2 weeks. What have you all found?

I love pinenuts and haven't had a problem until recently, I bought a pack of pinenuts and the bitter taste lasted two weeks. I bought a seed and nut mix a few days ago which included pinenuts and i now have it again!!!! So it must be the pinenuts!!!!! :-(

My wife had some pine nut salad from Julian Graves yesterday, and had terrible wind in the evening, and now everything tastes bitter to her!

Thank god I found this answer. Its been driving me nuts (no pun intended). The taste is horrible everytime i eat - could even taste it over a hot curry!. When I read it was pinenuts, I realised i have been eating a packet the last few days. When I checked they were from China and packaged in Italy and I bought them in the Co-Op. Yuck never again!

Thanks to everyone for posting these messages. I have been experiencing the same issue for the past day and a half and it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out the problem. It started last night after eating a cookie of all things. After reading the postings, I too can confirm that I ate a salad (also in NYC) consisting of a lot of pinenuts 3 days ago. Let's hope it goes away soon because this taste is horrible! Interesting that this has never happened with pesto sauce or anything else containing pine nuts. Could it be the variety or age?

I am in Australia and have been having a bitter taste in my mouth which started 2 days ago, and yes I have been eating pine nuts too! (Product of China)

Guest wrote:

I ate pine nuts (lots) last week for the first time in years. i have the bitter taste issue (4 days not) and this is the only forum or ref. that I found some similarity in. that must be it!

Exactly same thing for me - ate two packets of pine nuts beginning of last week - never eaten them in that quantity before - now have bitter taste after eating or drinking - almost chemical taste - been going on for 2 days now.

I have had a bitter taste in my mouth only when eating and for short while after eating, for about two days now, and also ate a lot of pine nuts a few days ago, more than i usually would eat in one go. Would not have known this unless read the guests comment above so thank you!