I had the same thing since last week, although I would not have any clue if I had not found these posts that pine nuts were the cause. Actually had just bought them at Sainbury's in Hammermith King St. Mall in London and added a little on salads for a week. No real effect, but then I munched a handful and have had the bitterness for about 5 days. It is much better now, but still present. Like I licked the bottom of a bicycle tire or something. Wife had a slight case of it but I ate more and suffered all day each day with it. Like it is in my saliva. Have called the number on back of Sainsbury packaging but they were not proactive at all. Contacting the food safety people in the government. This trail here proves that this is not just an isolated case. Sell-by date is 2008, so they were bad before I opened them.

I ate pine nuts four days ago and for the past two days I've experienced this bitter taste in mouth.

After reading all the posts here, it is clear that this is quite a widespread 'problem'. Oddly, like others, I like pine nuts and I've never experienced this bitter taste before. However, I don't often eat them on their own, normally in a salad which I typically flavour with olive oil, salt and vinnegar. Could it be that one of these additions to my salad neutralises the affect of the pine nuts? Or is this simply a case of nuts that are too old - I do normally buy pine nts and use them straight away whilst these nuts had been in a drawer, unopened, for some four to six months?

This thread is a wonderful testament to the power of the internet and the way it enables people to share knowledge and learn together. I actually suspected the pine nuts and other seeds I had eaten but this thread really confirmed those suspicions.

This thread is a wonderful testament to the power of the internet and the way it enables people to share knowledge and learn together. I actually suspected a problem with the pine nuts and other seeds I had eaten but this thread really confirmed those suspicions.

From the Vegetarian Society:

Pine Nuts
These are the seeds of the Stone Pine, a native of the Mediterranean region, but the seeds of various other pines are eaten in various parts of the world including the seeds of the Korean Pine or North American pinon tree. They are very difficult to harvest, hence their cost. They are vital for pesto sauce, and are delicious lightly toasted. They become rancid very easily and should be stored in the fridge or freezer. 100g pine nuts contain 14g protein.

o.O i to have bean eating pine nuts and have the same taste....i bought a 1 ib bag from publix...i think they my be old..i ate half the bag in one sitting......now two days later i get a wicked bitter taste when i eat and stays with me for a cuple hours and comes back every time i eat....this really sucks...be cause i love pine nuts.. XD :O >:(

What really worries me is not a bad taste (though it is annoying indeed), but realizing that something changed in pine nuts that we eat. All my life I loved them and my little son begs for them every time he sees them. We used to eat them frequently as a snack and nothing happened. We didn't eat them for a year now or more. Finally bought a big bag at Henry's and were happily snacking for a day or two. Now my son refuses to eat them (didn't say why, he probably senses something is wrong) and voila! I found this forum, because obviously I was looking for explanation for a weird taste in my mouth.
So what did change in pine nuts during this time? Chemicals, country of origin, global warming %-) ?

I am SO relieved to have found this forum! I've been suffering with the bitter taste for about 3 days and it happened about 3 weeks ago too for about 5 days. Now I know why. I opened the packed of pine nuts 3 weeks ago and had a some about 3 times over 3 days. Then I didn't have anymore until 3 days ago. Once again the bitter taste has returned so it MUST be the pine nuts. I am so relieved. I'd started to think I'd got a brain tumour! o.O

PS Bought mine from Sainsburys on Cromwell Road...

I've had the bitter-taste-in-mouth pine nut syndrome for the past 2-3 days.
Its starting to fade now. Seems the sweet things still set if off at the moment.
I've found anything minty helps remove the bitterness after eating. Pepermint tea and chewing gum are my best friend right now. I'll be a very, very happy man once its gone!!

I ate pine nuts two days ago for the first time in about a year and like everybody else in this forum, have been subjected to a continual bitter taste in my mouth which worsens directly after eating. I actually feel a little nauseous also, but, although sympathetic to fellow sufferers, am glad that I am not experiencing this alone.
I bought the pine nuts from Tesco, Heswall, UK and the date is May 2008. My main concern is that the pine nuts were produced in China, although packaged in the UK. China has recently been pressurised by western governments for excessive use of chemicals and toxins use in foodstuffs for western markets. Maybe I am just being paranoid and believing too much in media hype, but no other food product has affected me in this way before.

I would just like to add my name to this list. I had been searching "bitter taste in mouth" on the web for some time before I came across this forum. I dont eat pine nuts often, but ate loads a few days ago. My nuts were bought from Tesco, were freshly opened, and have a use by date of 2008. I would liken the taste to deodourant, if you have ever been unfortunate enough to get some in your mouth. YUK. My new friends are chewing gun and mouthwash.

Hello all...
I will be able to have relaxing weekend thanks to the information I have found here! I not only ate some "Badia" brand Pine nuts at the first of the week, but also had a grilled chicken sandwich with pesto a couple of days later. I have had the same "bitter taste" in my mouth which worsens after eating or drinking as the rest of the people here. I have been depressed all week, sleeping most of the day because of it, and too scared to look on the internet for fear of what I might find. I finally bit the bullet today and looked it up "Bitter taste in mouth" and found this thread. I am so relieved. I have been calling all my family members (didn't tell them all week about this) and told them about what happened. I have been avoiding food until I get shaky all week because eating or drinking makes the taste so much more apparent. I will keep you guys posted on the progress in the next few days.
On an afterthought, my parents were recently in Greece and my father had eaten an envelope of pine nuts there. That same night he was weak, nauseous, and overall didn't feel good. He blamed it on not having eaten enough that day. I just called him and told him about all this and he has decided not to eat pine nuts again! He doesn't remember having the metallic taste in his mouth, but he is on different medications for his heart and some of them cause weird tastes in his mouth anyway, so it may not have been something he would have noticed.

I will also state that I am in the medical field and have never heard of such or read any journal articles on it. I am now very interested in finding out more information and plan on speaking to some physicians I know. (I have a Masters in Health Sciences and am a Physician Assistant)

I also bought some "Badia" brand pine nuts last week 10/12/2007. I made an Italian dish with them and have had a bitter taste in my mouth for the last 4 days or so. I am a Physician Assistant student, so I went digging on the internet for answers and came across this forum. I am very relieved to discover there are others with this problem. Oddly enough, I saw another PA on this form with the same issue. I was assuming the worst, neuro, brain tumor who knows. I have searched PubMed and I have not uncovered any articles. Its very weird phenomenon, someone should do a study, and write a paper about it. No one that I have talked to, professors etc. have ever heard of this.

I came across this forum by accident whilst trying to get to the bottom of this bitter taste in my mouth that is making eating anything very difficult.

At first I thought it was because I recently started taking beconase nasal spray but I have stopped taking it and there is no difference. If it was beconase nasal spray that was the culprit I would expect to get the bitter taste after taking it and that it would gradually fade but this is a continual bitterness that intensifies with eating.
I did eat quite a lot of pinenuts recently (bought them from Lidls in the UK). I noticed that one of them tasted a bit off but they were in date so figured it was just a bad one. I have eaten pine nuts in the past but usually as a seed mix. Now I have had about 4 days of this bitterness and am hoping it will go away soon. I shall be drinking plenty of water to detox and hopefully the taste will go away soon.
Luckily so far I had not given any of them to my six year old daughter. I doubt I shall ever eat pine nuts again after reading this.

Ok I have done some research on the subject of bitter taste in the mouth and have come up with a possible explanation as to why this is happening. I am a Physician Assistant and a student and so I want to get to the bottom of this. It appears the culprut is CADMIUM. I have found some articles and case reports of patients presenting with bitter taste and the commmon factor is CADMIUM. Food high in cadmium are as follows: seafood, shellfish, whole grains and nuts. This could explain the pine nut phenomenon. I love pine nuts but I hate the bitter taste that follows so I guess I am going to give them up. I hope this helps some of you guys. Other symptoms of too much CADMIUM can include muscle pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Here is a ref. if anyone is interested Bosker G. and Thatcher S. Textbook of Primary and Acute Care Medicine. Thomas American Health Consultant; 2004 p.1182.

Just adding myself to the list. 3 days into it now :'(

Same symptoms after eating pine nuts, country of origin China. These were from Waitrose, packed in the UK. I have taken them back to the shop, together with a printout of some of the comments on this forum and asked them to get head office to investigate.

Like most of those posting, the symptoms (a) ruined food for me and (b) caused me anxiety. I'm two and a half days into it, finding that avoiding anything except chewing gum and mouthwash is best, and that when I have to eat or drink it's best to avoid anything with sugar or equivalent in it. That includes fruit and alcohol.

Since the nuts complained about by UK users of this forum seem all to come from China, and mostly to be packed in the UK on behalf of a variety of supermarkets, it seems likely that there's a single import source. Isn't this just the sor tof thing that should be reported to the government so their inspectors can cut off the supply at source and trace and recall any contaminated items?