Hi! I have the same problem here in Finland. The taste has been lasting for 3 days now, but it's getting better. The package doesn't say where the pine nuts are from, so I guess China. Thank god for the internet. Sent some feedback to the import company, interested to see what they will answer...

Same bitter taste here in South Africa. Made a cake with pine nuts in it 5 days ago. I ate a fair share of the cake and gulped down a few roasted pine nuts while i was making it.

It seems that the European Journal of Emergency Medicine has discovered this reaction to pine nuts before (Volume 8 March 2001).
Find the article here (sorry about the long URL):

euro-emergencymed.com/pt/re/ejem/fulltext.00063110-200103000-00036.htm;jsessionid=HGJF8YrYxvvLyhDpn6TXQcQ6B6T92nCnpDnbyRRDJPTJTJXCJ80y!-1297386286!181195629!8091!-1

I am relieved to find this forum with fellow bitter mouthed, pine nut eaters. However I am now conserned that if this reaction to pine nuts has not been documented before, how is it that it is now being identified? Are these new pine nuts that we are eating? Is our health being compromised by eating pine nuts that leave a bitter taste in our mouths?

Surely this needs to be investigated?

I ate raw pine nuts in my salad 2 nights ago, and today the bitter taste started. It's horrible! But thank you all for helping! This has to be it! I wonder if toasted pine nuts will have the same effect?

Today my wife and I got the bitter taste when eating after consuming Lidl pine nuts yesterday - neither of us ever had any adverse reaction to pine nuts before. It's especially bad when eating yoghurt. My guess is that it may be related to the sub-species of pine the nuts come from (if there are indeed any differences between them). The Lidl nuts are 'produced in Germany' - which obviously only refers to the packaging - so no more information from that side.

Thank God for this website. For the past 3 days I have been experiencing this progressively bitter/disgusting taste in my mouth every time I eat something. Like everyone else, thoughts of tumors, cancer, and other horrible diseases started running through my mind. Finally, after almost retching while eating my lunch, I decided to do a Google search and the first website to pop up was this one. I never would have guessed that pine nuts were involved, but as soon as I read this I knew it was true.

I had a bag of pine nuts that I bought a couple of months ago sitting in our pantry. About 5 days ago I ate a handful of them raw. Two days later I began experiencing a mild bitter taste when eating. It has progressively gotten worse. MUCH worse!

Other than what is posted on this website, the only other information I can find indicates that pine nuts are very perishable, especially when they are already shelled. They go rancid very quickly if not refrigerated. I believe what we are all experiencing is due to rancid pine nuts. Most pine pine nuts come from the mediterranean, but apparently China is getting into the act. I think this accounts for the suddent report of all of these illnesses out of the blue in the past 6 to 8 months. I can't find any reports of this problem on the internet prior to 2007. I suspect that China has dumped a bunch of bad pine nuts on the market (along with toys and other items).

It does not apear that the symptoms are permanent. Most people are reporting the symptoms last anywhere from a few days to two weeks. Nor have I found any information to indicate that any permanent damage occurs. However, I can say from personal experience that this is truly miserable. I happened to open a good bottle of pinot noir the night the symptoms first started and I thought I had a bad bottle of wine. I nearly poured it out. What a waste!

I checked the FDA website. They have no information available on the web about this issue that I was able to find. You can report this to the FDA, but they only accept phone calls. There is no internet or e-mail reporting that I can find. I may give my local office a call tomorrow to let them know, and I will point them to this website so that they know that there are others experiencing the same thing. Maybe a recall of Chinese pine nuts is in order.

I hope everyone feels better soon. Down with pine nuts! :-D

Community Administrator
This topic is being closed due to having too many posts.

Please continue posting within the following one: Sensation of bitter taste in mouth_What could it be?

wow, i can't believe that i have actually found the answer to my question about the bitter taste whenever i eat something. A relief in some ways to find out it is nothing awful, or is it?
Has anyone discovered a remedy? so far, for me, not eating and drinking is helping, I hope it doesn't last for too long.

haha at last some sense of it all! ive had a bitter taste in my mouth for last few days making me feel sick whenever i eat and i had eaten pine nuts 3days ago what a coincidenence was gettin worried as people were sayin you get this when your pregnant! cheers folks

I read the Dutch site about Pine nuts and apparantly it is only the Chineese variety which cause a bitter taste not the european.
It is because they contain a natuaral chemical called Triylyceride - this brings out the bitter flavour in food products. Usually this effects you for about a week. Chineese pine nuts are small and roundish and European pine nuts are longish.
So we need to make sure we eat the right ones in the future.Code:

Crazy! I was just eating pine nut 3 days ago and have had bitter taste every time I try and eat. Glad its only temporary. Sad that I wont be eating pine nuts anymore if its going to affect me this way. I love those little suckers!

I bought my pine nuts from Whole Foods...the label said 'Nuts about Florida' so I thought they were local taking for granted my faith in Whole Foods. I had a couple small handful of these earlier in the week...lo and behold I'm having the same experiences as everyone here. I looked carefully at the package in small imprint on the lower left...'made in china'. Not good. I know it is this brand because once a week I eat my favorite arugula, pine nut and fruit salad at a local restaurant and vary the protein on it with lobster or steak and have never ever had a problem with pine nuts before. I noticed when I took a mouthful of these they didn't taste the same as what I'm used to but I figured they were perhaps stale. They don't expire for another three months so I'm doing further research into this 'natural chemical'. I hope they are not GMO nuts made by Monsanto...that may explain something and I'de probably head to the doctor. I'm frankly tired of the food industry feeding us toxic food and now a Monsanto CEO on the board of the USDA? These plutocrats need to step away from feeding us garbage and politicians have to start being held accountable for lining their pockets at the expense of Americans. USDA just approved allowing aspartime in organically labeled foods. WTH? And then the US ambassador retaliates against France and the EU for not accepting their toxic GMO corn which has caused sterility in third generation hamsters, organ lesions, toxicity and the like? (courtesy of wikileaks)...Also be aware that a lawmaker in our gov. wants to censor alternative health websites perhaps inclusive of this one. Boycott plutocrats...feed your children natural foods. Also research the new 'fake' food safety bill which cripples small organic farms...