I ate mixed seeds for three nights in a row last week and within 48 hours of last eating them I developed a bitter taste in my mouth (just like the bitter taste of sharp grapefruit juice). It's been a couple of days now but was relieved to find this site. I soon discovered that the main constituent of the mixed seeds was pine nuts! I shall be avoiding them in the future.

It's funny that it's only this forum that seems to shed any light on the issue. Would be useful to know if anyone's found anything published about it in a journal etc.

hello everyone,
am so glad i found this site, it too has been driving me crazy trying to figure out what was causing this bitter taste in my mouth for the last day and a half after i eat/drink and now finally i see that it has been those damn pine nuts in the salad..gees i wish i never got the idea of a pine nut salad...it really ruins my love of food..i hope it goes soon...if this is a common case i think they shouldn't sell them or at least warn the buyers of its possibel effects...as someone has asked before i wonder whether pine nuts can become toxic? if anyone has any light to shed on the issue i'd really appreciate it..why is it causing tghis terrible taste in the mouth?
thanx

I too have the bitterness while eating or drinking. I have also had pine nuts recently. But however interesting it is that we all have eaten pine nuts and have this symptom, it in no way proves that pine nuts are the culprit. I especially find it strange that not one person who has posted to this topic has come back and posted whether or not this symptom has gone away or has persisted. Or if they had gone to their doctor and found another reason for this other than pine nuts. Since there isn't really any information regarding pine nuts and bitterness on the internet except for the one abstract that another person posted in this topic, I'm skeptical that pine nuts could really be the problem. Someone could prove me wrong though. In the meantime a visit to the doctor is probably more prudent.

so glad I found this site. I was ready to go to the doctor tomorrow fearing the worse : brain tumor, liver tumor i thought of everything and anything. Just decided to check the web before getting used to the idea of a bad news before crumbling in front of the GP. Me too i have munched on a packet of pine nuts a couple of days ago , something i don't usually do and haven't been able to get rid of that terrible taste everytime i eat something, worse if it is something sweet. The pine nuts were also from china. Could it be some chemicals they spray the nuts with to keep them from going off. I suppose we will never know . I am now going to stay away from them and hope that taste is going away soon. I love food, I work in the food business and I was already considering suicide if I couldn't get cured. Saved ! there is a god !!

Can report exactly same symptoms as everyone here after eating about half a packet of Sainsbury's pine nuts which were in date - have never had any reaction before. Have had bitter taste four days now and feeling pretty depressed about it ever going. No one has said when it eventually (if at all) goes - can anyone shed any light/comfort? It might sound trivial but it's really getting me down.
Thanks

to claudia

yes it does go i think mine lasted nearly 2 weeks at fades slowly but ive had no recurrence and i wont be eating any pine nuts again, it will go ok...

just to add when i first had this i thought the same as some here that is something nasty not related to pine nuts, i asked a doctor and a pharmasist and neither had a clue.......so i doubt we will find many or any gp's that will have heard of anything like this....to repeat from earlier post....im so glad to have found this site.....

Bitter taste elsewhere on the web may be associated with lead or mercury poisoning. My wife was complaining and I found this site. My concern is they are from CHINA. Could they be tainted???

I am so glad I found this thread! I was also thinking, brain tumor, cancer, etc. I have been snacking on Trader Joe's Pinenuts (made in CHINA!!) and I have the worst bitter taste when I eat anything now. It is horrible. I did also have this before and it did go away (but didn't know what it was at that time). Now I know not to snack on pinenuts, especially the ones from China!!!

I also have had this bitter taste, especially with eating/drinking. I thought I had something major wrong with me until I read this site. And lo and behold, I have been snacking on Pine nuts!!! When I had this a few months ago, I was snacking on them then as well. Then I ran out for awhile. Now, I have been eating them again for a week or so, and the nasty, BITTER, taste is back. I wonder what causes this??? The ones I get are from Trader Joe's in California.

The day after eating "Badia" pine nuts, my mouth had a bitter taste in it...like I drank pen ink. My dog, who ate some of those nuts, had tremors in his hind legs for several days and appeared ill. The taste went away after 3 days.

My partner and myself have had same bitter taste in mouth after eating a packet of Sainsbury pine nuts. Been about 5 days now - Really horrible. Someone really needs to look into this to see what the cause is. Really making eating a dis-pleasure.

Well, who would have guessed it. It's all down to pine nuts. I bought some last weekend from Holland & Barrett, and by Tuesday it had kicked in. Of course, all the usual things came to mind, heart attack, toxic liver, et al. I've just crushed some and you can smell the bad taste, if that makes sense. A bit like when the dentist accidently gets some Lidocaine in your mouth. By the looks of things, it could last up to two weeks. Never mind, at least we have a good idea of what's caused it. Thanks everyone.

Same story. I tried a couple pine nuts at Henry's in California for the first time 2 days ago. I only ate maybe 2 or 3 and they tasted very bitter so I didn't buy any. Everything I've eaten since then has tasted awful, though it seems to be starting to go away. I can't believe just a few nuts could have such a lasting effect.

I wish someone would post a positive follow-up. For all I know, everyone who has posted has since died of pine-nut poisoning!

Casbah - you're absolutely right. Someone should follow-up so I will. I had the same problems as those who are reporting here after eating pine nuts from China. I can tell you that I'm very much alive :-D It took about 2 weeks for my taste buds to totally go back to normal and not have that bitter taste going whenever I ate or drank something. It was a gradual thing, getting a bit better every day until it was gone. So, take heart everyone, it will go away. I don't know if these same symptoms crop up with pine nuts from the U.S. or the Mediterranean though. Seems like ones from China are the most readily available and that's why we're all eating those.

What really bothers me is that nobody seems to really have heard of this. I talked to a doctor and they knew nothing. Even though the bitter taste goes away, something is wrong and nobody seems to know the cause. It could be a benign thing or something more sinister and how are we to know? It's frustrating.

Maybe I should email the FDA or CDC or something, point them to this thread and see if they can get any information.

I have the same problem right as we speak, i figured it out last night while sitting on the couch eating more pine nuts.
If you have ever tasted the resin that comes off pine tree's it is similar to the bitter taste, so i think if the seeds are picked too late, if they are old or oxidized they will start to absorb the resin as the tips of the seeds are particularly bitter and even crunchy. Yesterday morning i roasted the pine nuts and had a very bitter taste all day.
So i think if the seeds are cooked they will cause an even stronger bitter taste much sooner. Everything tastes awful.