I normally don't eat pine nuts , but a few weeks ago,I bought a couple of bags from Costco and have been eating a small handful every day or so. Today, I noticed I had a really bitter taste in my mouth and couldn't figure out why, until I googled and read these posts. It has to be the pine nuts! I just opened a new bag yesterday too. I wonder if they can have a toxic effect on your body? I am drinking lots of water now just in case! The pine nuts are from China. I'm just glad I found this post !

Here it is the day before my birthday and two days before Thanksgiving and everything tastes awful. How can I fix it? ANYONE?

I noticed the horrible taste and did a search thinking that I had been poisoned or something. I am so glad that I am not alone. I had pine nuts one time! My first and last time!

I have had this bitter taste on eating on and off for a couple of months. I thought it may be B complex I was taking so stopped them but guess what I have been eating lots of--Pine nuts! I just spent a couple of months in Byron Bay( in Australia) and there is a great health food bulk supplier there called Santos and I buy a huge bag so we have them often.
That is where this started. I might add that I always do eat them, with these symptoms only happening once before several years ago, so maybe it is the batch. My son has experienced the taste but not as bad as me and my husband and 8 year old have no symptoms. Ill stop eatingg them and see what happens. Thanks so much for sharing this info.

Like previous comments I have also had problems with pine nuts but have found that it's only when they've been toasted that I have the problem with the bitter taste. The bitterness starts about 2 days after I have eaten them. Everything I eat or drink tastes horrid. Last time I had this it lasted for about 5 days. I presume toasting them must release some sort of chemical. My husband ate them too but did not suffer the same problem. I would love a scientist to tell me what it's all about.

Yeah I got this too - I'm also slighly allergic to wallnuts (makes my tongue hurt), could there be a connection?

:'(

I have also been searching on the internet to try and decipher why I have had such a terrible taste in my moth since yesterday. Could have been anything from advance kidney disease to liver failure and was very relieved to read the other threads...on Friday pm I ate a packey of pine nuts from Tesco...usually eat them in salad and only have a few. Should there be some sort of warning on them???

Yup. This is happening to me too. So strange. At first i thought everything i was eating was somehow rancid, but then i consulted the internet and assumed that i didn't have liver failure or cyanide poisoning, which were the first things that came up. But i'm in day three of this (i had pine nuts on a pizza 5 days ago) and it just keeps getting worse. Ugh! The strange thing is, the other people who shared the same pizza have no symptoms and think i'm crazy. i did eat more than them though...

I wonder if this is a recent thing. I have never heard of such a thing. I don't know where my pine nuts came from because i was at a restaraunt. Maybe they were contaminated? Some sort of pesticide?

Chalk up another one to the curse of the pine nut. I'm in my second day. This thread is great--amazing the number of folks this has afflicted--and we are just the ones who have been lucky enough to discover the cause. When I first found the thread last night--I didn't think I had eaten pine nuts but remembered today that there were pine nuts in a pasta salad I ate 4 days ago. This seems to be a fairly new occurrence over the last year. It will be interesting to follow further development. Needless to say, I will never touch another pine nut in my lifetime.

THANKS FOR YOUR POSTS.. I ATE PINE NUTS A FEW DAYS AGO AND EVERY TIME I EAT THERE IS A HORRIBLE BITTER TASTE IN MY MOUTH.. I THOUGHT THAT MY FOOD AT HOME HAD SOURED SO I THREW IT ALL OUT.. I WILL NEVER EAT PINE NUTS AGAIN. WHEN DOES IT GO AWAY? :'(

Me too! I can't believe it was pine nuts, which i have eaten loads of times before. I too thought something serious was wrong with me until I found this thread, now I feel very relieved. The pine nuts in question were from Sainsbury clapham and are going straight in the bin!

I do wish there was a way to speed up recovery of the tastebuds! if anyone knows anything let me know, xmas dinner is going to be very dissapointing this year!

Thank You for this thread, I was getting worried.
I've had this taste in my mouth for 2 days now. I wes eating ASDA '5 seed mix' 3 days ago (trying to be healthy!), and guess what this contains - yup, Pine Nuts.
I'll stick to Big Macs in future.

hi all
i have eaten pine nuts most off my life and never had this problem ever. but my bad taste started when i bit into an orange and bit a seed ever since then every time i chew somthing the bad tast comes back. i tryed to go to the dentist to find out if it is a rotten tooth but they are all closed today but judgeing from everybodies responce it could be somthing to do with the seeds.

Hi all

I have also been eating pine nuts (kernels) over the last few days...had my last handful at breakfast today...minutes before thinking to look on the web for an answer!!!
What a relief to find it is pine nuts causing this horrible bitter taste, I have had them straight from the packet and cooked, so not sure if the cooking process is the problem. They are also well in date.
The pine nuts in this case were from Lidls, produced in Germany but no idea where they sourced them.
My other half has also eaten them but not suffered the same effects, so perhaps it is an individual problem rather than a problem with the pine nuts.

Hope it goes soon...any suggestions for remedies???

I was getting worried. I last ate pine nuts a day ago but been munching on them for 3 days. Last night in one moment, I was tasting food. The very next bite of that same food...I tasted BITTER tastes. I thought the item I was eating maybe had soap in it or the dish was soapy. THen we had bead (3 Kings Day bread)...and same thing. BItter tastes. I realized them there was something wrong. So glad all of you posted here. Think I am gonna live after all.
Claudine

Just another thank you to everyone who's posted on here. I've got myself a dentist's appointment already, but that's no bad thing, as I've been putting it off for quite some time.
I'm absolutely gutted, as I love home made pesto, and my fiance makes a lovely stuffed pepper with goats cheese and pine nute- both of which we've had over the past few days. I also had a couple straight from the bag, and it's only me who's got this- so I was thinking it was just eating them straight that did the damage... I notice someone above mentioned that they didn't have the problem when eating them with olive oil (fortunately an ingredient in both of the above dishes)- I hope that solves it, as I don't know what I'll do without pesto! I was looking to lose some weight after Christmas anyway, so maybe a couple of days without eating won't hurt!