i also hav the same problem with black lines running vertically on my nails and white lines running horizontally as well asmy nail peeling from the nail bed very worried but several blood tests coming back normally anyone hav any idea

My brother has a black line on his pointer finger. I was wondering if your husband went to check it out and see if it is cancer he did can you please post back and tell me what happened?

In most cases I believe these black lines are a side effect of nail fungus.

:-)

I had a similar problem, but according to my dermatologist if the black lines are in more than one finger like in my case it indicates moles and there is absolutely nothing to worry.

i have this problems too, vertical black or grey lines in a few fingers, i was very worried and feel even worst after i read all stuff about melanoma. i went to my family doctor today, he said they are probably moles, and not something serious to worry about. but i am still scared, wonder anyone got the same answer as me from their doctor

Sometimes the dark lines can just be that your nail has slightly cracked and nail polish has filled it in

my mum has these black lines and im worried it could be heart failure what are the chances of it being so?

dunphy wrote:MCDCONLY

Hi! Recently, I noticed black lines in fingernails. What caused black lines in fingernails? Do you know something about that? I am worried. Thanks!

i have a black line in the fingernail.  i remember injuring my fingernail. after couple of days i started seeing the thin dark lines which turn thick, after 1 month. all these years  i never had this problem.  

I have the stripe's under my thumb and right index finger . My fingher 's and hand was also turnning blue or black . They also hurt all the time , real bad if I pt them in hot or cold water . I have seen the dr. about it but they don't know want it is . They also looked down behide the back side of my heart , it is good . What can you tell me ?

Its just vitamin deficiency that your hubby is going thru. so don't worry. its of no harm.

Subungual melanoma is most commonly found in people with dark skin color and either in there thumbs or big toes, although that is not a must. I am a 30 year old caucasion male and had my right ring finger amputated on December 4th 2012 due to having subungual melanoma in my fingernail. I work with my hands alot and always have scrapes and bruises and this started as just another bruise, so I thought. It was a tiny spec right at the base of my nail (nail fold) and after a couple of months it was a solid line the whole length of my nail. I ignored it for a while but the line grew wider. After only 6 months from noticing it I knew it was not normal and litteraly used Google images to "self diagnos". I had my nail removed and a 3mm biopsy was taken from my nail matrix and the results were positive for melanoma in situ. Next procedure was an excision of the top third skin from my finger (just the upper side where the nail was) and skin grafted back on from my arm. 10 days later the pathology report form the excision showed it was not in situ but invasive melanoma at 1-2 mm in depth. My finger was amputated so all I have is a nub, cat scans of my whole body, and 2 sentinal lymph nodes were taken from my armpit and biopsied. As of my visit with the cancer doctors on 12/18/2012 I am cancer free due to early diagnosis. They said most people ignore it until it has gone into the lymphatic system and has metastisised in 1 or more organs. Do yourself a favor and get it checked. I definately did not fit the "normal" candidates but I have a good prognosis due to early detection.  

hi i also have dark almost black vertical lines in fingernails for years.lately some of my nails are turning purple. i really want to know what if anything this means. doesnt hurt just looks weird and kind of embarassing for a woman.please help

Go to the doctor. You will be glad you did.

Hi, have you seen a dermatologist about this issue? I'm no medical expert but it sounds like it may have something to do with blood circulation issues. Do you have diabetes, asthma, heart or other circulatory problems? You should check in with your primary physician to rule these out. I wish I could be of more help to you. Good luck!