I had my bladder sling/thermal ablation surgery 6 days ago.  I wanted to post because I am having some minor problems but all in all it is going well. I have read horror stories on the internet regarding bladder sling surgery but I do trust my doctor so I'm just going with the flow.  The issues I have been having are spotting, mild cramping, slight periodic pain in urethra area, soreness in thigh area from the incisions.  I think these things are minimal and nothing motrin can't cure.  I guess the reason I am posting is the just put it out there that these symptoms are normal and I think the success rate of this surgery far outweighs the risks.  The success rate of the TVT-A is at 97 percent which is phenomenal.  If you are considering the bladder sling and have concerns just ask your doctor the appropriate questions and do what YOU want to do based on your informative discussion.  I really had to remind myself after reading alot of material that most people do not post GOOD experiences with surgery.  They only post their horror story.  

I really hope you do not have any lasting problems with your TVT but anyone quoting a success rate of 97% is quite simply lying! 

Tara:

I just had the TVT tape surgery on 3/13/13 and, while I have had no pain from the surgery, I have not been able to pee! I had a foley cath for the first 2 days and after that came out, I couldn't drain a drop. I had to use straight caths for every trip to the potty for a couple of days. Little by little, I was able to dribble enough so that I didn't have to straight cath every time but was still very concerned. I've been back to the Dr's office twice since the surgery.  The first trip back, they wanted to put the Foley cath back in and I bawled my head off and begged them not to put that torture device in me, so they didn't.  I went back to the Dr. on 3/21/13 and told him flat-out that I was not putting the Foley back in.  I can use the straight caths and I will keep doing that for a while.  But I want to be done with those, too! I am only 38 yrs old, I don't think I should be peeing through a straw for the rest of my life. I would rather have lived with th stress incontinence!

Anyway, that day (3/21/13) the Dr. performed an in-office procedure where he went inside my urethra (I had local anesthesia) and pushed the tape down a little. He admitted that he'd placed my tape tighter than usual because I am a runner. (That is the reason I wanted to stop the stress incontinence.)  The next day after he did the procedure I was able to pee with a better flow and only had to use the straight cath first thing in the morning. For some reason, if my bladder gets really full, like it tends to overnight, I can't drain a drop on my own. Last night, I got up at 1:30 am and was pretty full.  I tried for 20 mins to pee on my own but couldn't get anything to come out so had to use the straight cat. I am hopeful that in another week or two, I will be able to empty on my own with no cath'ing at all.  

I'm still undecided about whether I call this surgery a success or not.  If I am able to pee on my own within the next couple of weeks, and I don't pee myself anymore when I start back into running (which I can't do until 4 weeks post-op) then I guess I will say it was worth it. Right now, I just don't know. 

I am sorry to hear the 'slight' complications you are having with your TVT. Its also interesting to hear 'success' stories. Without scare mongering, I had my tot tape for 5 years without 'any' problems. However, 5 years on my body tried to reject it causing immense inflamation. I am a lucky one... I have been able to have mine removed ... although this is not without complications. Has anyone informed you... they only last 10 years! Have you asked the question what happens after that time... can it be removed... because there are very few reputable surgeons who are able to remove it... and what damage will it do when removing it.. if this is possible. The full facts are not being told regarding this device.. women are not asking the right questions. If I had been told the full facts 6 years ago, I would not have allowed anyone to implant this device into my body... because when it does go wrong there are very few in the medical profession who have the skills to help and then you will find the only people offering support are those who write 'the negative stuff' on the support groups. I only hope anyone else has to join us. Jackie

I must agree with Katie, even the device manufacturers do not quote 97% success rate! I hope with all my heart that you continue to do well. Anyone considering this surgery, please research thoroughly & trust only what you know - not what you are told.

My doctor said you could have the surgery done more than once and that it would be good for 10-15 yrs (approx).  He made it sound like no big deal but now that I have had it done once, and have had the problems I've had already (can't pee normally - sometimes not at all and have to self cath), I don't think I'd want it done again.  I don't think I'd recommend this surgery unless your stress incontinence is really bad.

I guess it depends on how "success" is being defined!! When my doctors ask "do you have incontinence since the surgery?" and I tell them no...then they say it was successful. In my definition of "success" I would not have been struggling with such excruciating pain, be having continuous urinary and vaginal infections, unable to go back to work, unable to be a good mom or wife or have relations with my husband, unable to attend my kids school events, that I have been for the most part house bound and bed ridden for the majority of the last 10 years since my "successful" surgery!!!! Nope, my definition of success is a bit different than the doctors.

I guess it depends on your definition of "success."

I had this surgery 10 years ago, and since then have had excruciating pain, to the point of where I'm mostly homebound and bedridden. Being a good mom and wife has been taken away from me. I have had constant pain, recurring UTIs and vaginal infections, have seen 18 docs in 10 years and no one has been able to help. Have had countless unnecessary procedures, tests, xrays, mris, ct scans, surgeries....luckily just recently found a doc in CA at UCLA who can and will take this mesh out of me.

When the doctors ask if I have incontinence since the surgery and I tell them yes, they say it is "successful"....I guess my definition is a bit different.

If you have polypropylene mesh in you and you are having complications then welcome to our world of what you call horror stories! 2 years ago I had it put in at age of 40. Can't have sex, 24 hours of severe pain, nerve pain, pain in my pelvic area that feels like I was kicked 24 hours, feels like I pee razor blades, several sling revision surgery, and on and on. Read about how there are a handful of doctors that can remove it....I have to fly from FL to CA to see if this surgeon can remove ALL of this mesh in me. (AKA DIRTY DISH RAG) Forgot to mention haven't been able to work and disability keeps denying claim.

LAdennis

If you are having to cath at all then I don't see how you can say this surgery is a success.. Did you surgeon tell you that the TVT is permanent? that once placed it begins adhering to surrounding tissue, nerves and can even possibly perforate into your organs? 

Have you really done that much research?  Because the horror stories you have read ARE REAL and I honestly pray that you won't be one of them, but if you are I do hope you will return to this thread and tell others the TRUTH!   Saying the TVT is 97% success rate is.. simply NOT TRUE!   If and when you begin having horrible pelvic pain, pain in your lower back, down your buttocks and leg, inner thighs, bowel problems, lack of energy and or auto immune disease.. remember one thing.. You have mesh! 

PS: I am one of those horror stories you've heard about and I live it everyday of my life and have been for almost 10 years and believe me when I tell you, it's NOT living.

Hate to be a "Debbie downer" but 6 days doesn't really mean you are on the road to recovery! It may just be the beginning. Please be advised that everyone is different and there has not been a very comprehensive look regarding the REAL number of complications. The numbers keep growing. If you start feeling anything out of the ordinary, please don't wait to get it checked out!!

Tara:

I had another appointment with my Dr. yesterday.  I can pee during the day without cathing now, but still have to cath once per night as I can't go at all in the night, for some reason.  He has consulted with a urologist who said that the return to normal urination can take up to 12 weeks.  I'm 2 weeks post-op now so I have to give it more time.  In the meantime, my Dr. gave me a prescription for meds that will help my bladder contract so I can urinate more easily.  I start on that today so I will let you all know how it goes, if you like, so that anyone else who might have this complication might mention it to their Dr. 

I am anxious going forward but my Dr. told me that if by the 12 week mark, if things aren't back to normal, he will cut the tape to release the tension. I feel a little better having a deadline and I'm happy that I can pee during the day, albeit small amounts at a time, so that I'm not in distress.  I hope those of you who are still suffering greatly will find answers and help for your conditions. I am really sorry to hear what is happening to you and pray it gets better.

I just want to say I am 5 weeks post op and feeling fantastic!!!! I am so pleased with this surgery it has been life changing for me! I have felt great since the day i had it done, back to work after 2 weeks and i have to remind myself that there are limitations because i am still just 5 weeks post op...

Maybe the problem isnt always with the sling itself but the surgeon and the body it weent into? Maybe there were underlying conditions?

To advise not to have this done is ludacris, it is a personal choice and one that must be discussed with your surgeon. Do your homework on the surgeon, don't wait until your bladder issue is really bad. Start sooner then later! 

I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!

5 days post surgery. Couple of questions... Is it normal? I am still leaking and trust me, I'm barely walking. Normal? When I lay down for bed, I immediately feel as though I have to pee, even though I just went I will get up after being miserable for an hour and go. Normal? I feel as though I've been on a horse for a month. My incisions are right in the groin. Muscles there hurt.