I am 30 years old. I have had 5 children, all of which were vaginally delivered. I have been diagnosed with stress incontinence. My symptoms are mainly frequent feeling of bladder fullness and frequent urination. If my bladder is full and I cough or sneeze I'll leak a bit, much like I always did when I was 8 or 9 months pregnant. It doesn't bother me so much, I don't leak often, I just have to run to the bathroom several times. I do however feel some pain in my urethra. Not burning when I urinate or the urge to urinate like with a UTI, just pain after urinating often and even after sex. I take Uristat or AZO often to numb the pain. I went back to my urogyn today for the urodynamic study and had them send a sample of my urine off for another culture. The catherter insertation was extremely painful. It always is for me. Is that normal? It was very tiny, he showed it to me, yet the pain was almost unbearable! :'( I had to immedately take Uristat as soon as I left the office to try to numb the pain as quickly as possible it still hurt so bad. The Dr. spoke to me about probably needing a bladder sling. He made it seem like a piece of cake, and since I am having a different vaginal surgery, he suggested doing it all at once. "Better now than the problem getting worse and you having to get it later." It all made since to me, but after doing some research on here, I'm now terrified of the sling actually causing more problems!!! Any comments or advice would really be appreciated! Also, does anyone having the sling notice any difficulty or pain or discomfort when working out, jogging, having sex, etc? Do you have to be 'extra' careful???? I'm only 30! Thanks

Get the sling...I got one about seven years ago (when I was 33) and it was the best thing i ever did. I couldn't laugh, sneeze, dance, run or exercize without leaking. Now I am physically fit...i run, exercize, dance, laugh and sneeze without worrying about leaking...

did you have the sling put in? How did it go if you did? I just had it 11 days ago & already having problems.

Yes...yes....
i just had my operation done two weeks ago.....today i was at the museum wity my children and husband .....i sneeze for the first time in 8 years and I WAS DRY!!!!
Freedom!!!
best decision ever,
I am 33 and two children 8 & 5.

Best decision ever,

I had the transorbital sling done on Dec 9th 2009 and I have not had one single accident as it has been almost 5 months. The only problem is that it is extremely painful with intercourse. The muscle just will NOT relax and it is the worse pain I have experienced in a long long time. So you take the good with the bad I suppose.

:roll: I had both done last summer and I am still in pain... the groin area feels like I rode Hidalgo all the way to Persia bareback! I am still sore and lame... and where the sling is attached in the fatty part of buttock is painful with small sharp minute pains constantly around the sling tie off area. Not everyone comes out "like new again"...

I had a hysterectomy last Oct. for extremely large fibroids. I had slight stress incontinence and was told my bladder had dropped some but not dramatically. I was told that if I had the hysterectomy, I might as well have a bladder sling. In fact my gynecologist gave me to believe that I would NEED the sling as there would be no support for the bladder after the uterus was removed. I don't know if that is true or not. At any rate, I opted to have him put in a sling at the same time as the hysterectomy. When I went back to see him later, after the surgery, I told him I was having a lot of discomfort on either side of my pelvis where I assume the sling is attached. His response was, "Well, we don't worry about that." I was speechless. I didn't protest because he made me feel like some pain was to be expected, and I figured my body would adjust and the pain would go away. Flash forward... I have been miserable with my pelvic pain this summer particularly after I threw my back out and was doing a certain recommended exercise to help my back. It helped my back but made the pain on either side of my pelvis worse.

I'm due to go back to the gynecologist for a pap test soon and am going to be very interested in what he has to say about all this. What makes me angry is that I was never told that a bladder sling could result in chronic pain. He made it sound like the whole thing was a piece of cake and that, really, I little choice. I would advise anyone considering getting a sling to make sure they discuss ALL POSSIBLE side effects and pros and cons with their doctor, maybe even get acouple of other opinions. Frankly, I think I rather have a little leakage than the constant pain I have now even as I write this.

I had the sling put in July 31 2009, since then I have had trouble. I have had three infections, they are now saying it not coming from my surgery, I am having pain in my lower back and hips, groin area and lower butt area. I am on muscle relaxer to see if that helps.
I just had to use tampons and they hurt me, I have not been given the okay to have sex with my dh, but I am scared to it goind to hurt.
I am not leaking as bad as I was but still having accidents.
for me I wish I had not done the surgery. it was not made for me. :'(

I just had the surgery 2-1/2 months ago and went back to see my gyno since I had adhesions removed at same time they put sling in. Had Hysterectomy when I was 24 so felt like it was time and they made sound like no big deal. I was doing pretty good and then all of a sudden I began having the worst pain in my left pelvic area that I ever even had with adhesions! Gyno did exam couple of days ago and pushed around and I was in tears!!!! He is supposed to get with urologist that installed and call me back but said....probably because I am moving around more and is pulling and sometimes takes up to a year to completely heal! I was at total loss because it gets worse everyday and I am totally miserable and don't know what to do. If I would have known it would be like this I would have given it much more thought. Glad I found this sight to find that I am not the only one going through this!

lheidbrier wrote:

'

I'm glad to hear that your'e getting good support here on the forums although I'm sad that you've had such a rough time. Can you keep us updated on how you're doing? Thanks!

I had the sling surgery on 2/07, the dr. placed the tape too tight and I had to self catheterize for 10 days until my dr. could get me back into the hosp. to go back in and loosen the tape. I have had an occasional UTI during my life, usually due to kidney stones. However, since my sling, they have been countless. October of 2008 I had a UTI (or whatever) and it has been chronic...I still have it. This is not the life I want to live. I remain in a state of depression and pain and I feel like I can't even be a wife to my wonderful husband.

I have been to several Urol, I have been in and out of the hospital, I have been to one of the Mayo Clinics in FL and I have been seeing an Infectious Disease doc. I have tried EVERYTHING! Every test, every drug...I'm anti-biotic resistant...nothing works. I even had a pik line for 3 months. I've tried natural remedies, and I mean all of them. The only relief I get is the over the counter AZO or URISTAT.

There is a class action law suite on one of the tape makers of the sling, I believe it's Glyn-tech. You might want to check that out. There are 2 or 3 different slings made with the mesh tape, this particular one has caused major problems in women. If you are having problems and that is the tape that was used, you might want to dig further into having it removed.

I had an A&P repair with a urethral sling in March of 2006 when I was 33, due to severe incontinence with exercise and coughing. Ever ince the surgery, I get UTI's after sexual intercourse every single time. I was a urologist a 6 months ago because I was tired of taking antibiotics that my gynecologist prescribed because I am an RN and now the risks of becoming resistant to the antibiotics. The urologist told me not to worry and that I wouldnt be having sex for the rest of my life anyway. He said I should take acidolfales. 6 months later I am now resistant to Macrodantin and cannot take Septra because it makes me break out with could sores all over my mouth each time I take it. The urologist said he could take the sling out but that since it has been for a few years the success rate are very low. I am so frustrated. Has anywone ever had their sling taken out and did that stop their UTI's? Does anyone know about the upcoming vaccine for UTI's? Any information would be very helpful to me.

I use to get bladdar infections everytime after sex. You have to be really careful. Clean your vagina prior ...and immediately after intercourse to and urinate. I clears out any bacteria in your uretha. I had taken drugs etc and acidofales and vit to strenghten the urinary area. But urinating after intercourse has prevented the infections. Hope this works for you.

You are young I would give this some very serious thought

TxMomof5 wrote:

I hate mine so far. I'm an athletic 45 year old with 2 vaginally born kids.
Nearly 3 weeks after having a monarac sling put in I am still uncomfortable. The first 2 weeks of recovery were extremely rough with bladder and urethea burning pain. I want mine out and don't know how long to wait before throughing in the towel. Big regret for me.