Hi, I am a twenty five years old man. Ever since I can remember my gums bled whenever I brushed my teeth. I used almost every kind of toothpaste. There were some improvements, but none of them were permanent. I have heard that bleeding gums are caused by insufficient amounts of certain vitamins. Is this true? Are there some other reasons for bleeding gums?

Hello, bleeding gums can be caused by several things. The most common reason of bleeding gums is gingivitis. This is the infection of the gums around the teeth. The bacterium that causes the inflammation is present in your mouth all the time. It is only when your immune system is compromised that the bacteria has the chance to grow uncontrollably. So I guess because some vitamins are important for the immune system that their insufficiency can be a reason for bleeding gums. However, the insufficient mouth hygiene is the main reason of bleeding gums. The best thing you can do is to brush your teeth regularly and keep your dentist's appointments.