I am writing about my sister, who has recently started having botox treatments to reduce her wrinkles. She does, I admit, look a lot younger and fresher now that she has started having these injections, but I am a little concerned about her health. It seems like she only just had her last treatments done, and now she is getting another round. It was like three months ago that she had her previous session. So my question is - is this ok? How often do people "need" to have botox and how often is really too much?

Thank you.

Strange as it may sound, people who consistently have botox injections need them less often — the effects last longer for long-term users than for beginning users! The effects of botox are typically expected to last around three months for beginning users, so your sister is probably having her next appointment right at the time at which her provider recommended it. If she keeps on having the injections, she will be able to wait six months before having the next treatment with time. Don't worry about her health or her looks, as botox provided by skilled practitioners is safe and does not lead to an artificial look any more.

It definitely depends. I read that a plastic surgeon said that botox injections last an AVERAGE of four months. After that, your wrinkles just come back and you'll have to have it done again... or a little before that if you just don't want to have an awkward period in which you have wrinkles, and then they go away again :). But after around two years, this surgeon said, the muscles actually weaken or something to the point that the botox has a more permanent effect. That's when you can scale the injections down to once every six months. Basically, if you have botox it's simply best to do everything in consultation with the PS, and you'll be fine.

Yep. I get botox. Most people who have it done say it lasts around three to six months and that has been my experience as well. Basically, I need around three sessions a year. I have also been told that the frequency will decrease as time goes on, and that I'll soon be able to have it only twice a year. One thing people who are new to botox need to know, so they are not in for a shock, is that it does take about a week for the effect to be fully in place. Also, the first treatment may not get rid of all the lines you wanted to target, but the second treatment has a stronger effect. This is not a bad thing, because most people who get botox don't necessarily want to advertise that fact. If you have gradual wrinkle reduction people are far less likely to ask you if you have had botox done :).

Botox scares the hell out of me if I'm honest 'cause it can cause flu symptoms, headaches, bad results, muscle weakness, bruising, and PAIN. That's easy to say for me 'cause I don't need it right now. But mind you, that's what peeps do, they get botox like every three to six months so what you mentioning don't sound way out of the ordinary or anything. It's true that some peeps get obsessive about or even addicted to cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures but it sounds like your sis is just following the instructions of whoever's treating her, right? I wouldn't worry about her unless she decides she wants to be the next living Barbie doll or something...

The thing with botox is that you really need to know who is doing yours. There are people out there who are offering botox without really knowing what they are doing. I had a friend of mine get a droopy eyelid because a nurse did hers, badly, injecting it too deeply. I'd only go to a good plastic surgeon to get it done after that happened! Everyone getting it done should also read about the side effects, which are possible even if you get the best doctor in the world to do it for you. You might like to start off with a smaller dose to see what you think of it and to achieve gradual improvement.

The most important thing is to have a plastic surgeon you trust and that is genuinely capable and concerned about their patient's health and the outcomes they have. If you do, then they will not have any problems with having botox too often because your PS will not give you more than you need or more often than you need. It's also always a good idea to ask about this. Say you want to look as young and healthy as possible but not at the compromise of your health by risking side effects. Nobody wants a "botox" face either, one that everyone can tell you have had work done as soon as they see you. So tell your PS you want natural looking results and want them to tell you if you get to the stage where you are overdoing things, being too eager to get more treatment sooner than you need it. Good luck!

The effect of botox injections lasts between two and six months depending on the individual, but the average duration or shelf life of a set of injections is four months. Most people simply need to have new injections done every four to five months, so the best thing is for you to make a new appointment as soon as you have one done, once you know how long it lasts for you. How often you get repeat botox injections depends on how much you are bothered by the return of wrinkles though, and it is fine as long as your provider agrees.