I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a BSO 3 years ago. About a year ago I started having really bad abdominal and pelvic pains. Sex has been painful and uncomfortable ever since the hysterectomy. I started going to a new doctor. Needless to say, I had to have major surgery last month.Come to find out, part of my cervix was left and a fallopian tube was left and grew to the size of a baseball. My doctor received copies of medical records from doctor and hospital. Doctor states he removed everything and the pathology dept says they logged in 2 fallopian tubes. Is this normal? Do these things happen often during hysterectomies?

Hi honey! WOW!!!! You poor thing!! When you have had a TOTAL hysterectomy, there is supposed to be NOTHING in there to grow "back" So they TOTALLY messed up! And they are probably covering themselves for lawsuit reasons! Cervix's and Fallopian tubes - such as after a tubal ligation or an etopic pregnancy, or even leep procedures - BUT once again there has to be something there for it to grow! Do you know if during the surgery they attached your bladder to the abdominal wall? That is the ONLY way I can think of that a piece of a fallopian tube might have survived the operation - BUT even IF this happened, it still needs a blood source to grow!!! This is INSANE!!! When you have a Total hysterctomy it is not the same as a Radical Hysterectomy, so there might have been slight pieces left that would have attached itself to surrounding tissue! This is the ONLY way this would have happend IF and really mean IF they had taken EVERYTHING that they were supposed to have done! BUT I will say this, IF this was the case for a cervix AND a fallopian tube to totally grow back within 3 years is VERY fast! So I think they messed up BIG time! And further action is definitely needed! I hope your new doctor will back this up and have taken pictures for you! You poor thing! I am sending you hugs and health! And hope you recover from this ordeal shortly and "GO GET EM!!!" Good luck and health honey!

Yeah, I will say that whatever this is, it's not normal and that's not how things were supposed to go. I think that you'd have a pretty good case for medical malpractice, especially if they claimed that they got rid of the fallopian tube when they clearly didn't. If I were you, I would be talking to a lawyer as well as your doctor. What do you think?

yeah...Two and a half years ago, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in Massachusetts. During the surgery, my intestine was punctured. I threw up several times while in the hospital, and upon release from the hospital threw up so violently that it ripped the incision open. I went to the Dr., who butterflied the incision shut. Not only did that not hold, but the incision ripped again in another place during a subsequent bout of nausea. About six weeks later, I went for my post-surgery follow up and was given a clean bill of health despite the incision not being closed, still being bloated from the hysterectomy, and bouts of nausea. I subsequently moved to Texas the day after I was cleared by the Dr. to do so, so have never been able to go back to him for subsequent problems. (Long story, but I'd been planning on moving before it was found I needed the hysterectomy so my move had been delayed.)

Since that time, I've had frequent bouts of nausea that the Dr. I'm seeing here in TX has been unable to diagnose. Also, my post-hysterctomy bloating has never gone away and I've developed a ventral hernia at the site where the incision had first ripped open.

Now I have intestinal blockage and am awaiting test results to determine the route we're going to take to treat this. Today, while trying to figure out what's going on, my Dr. said that the punctured intestine could explain both the nausea which has been ongoing for years now and the blockage. If it turns out that this has been the case, do I have any recourse? How about for the ventral hernia? How about for it taking numerous trips to the Dr. here and months of pain to get any testing done at all? I'm just angry right now that nobody ever took my concerns seriously when perhaps the problem could have been treated much earlier before it had progressed so far.

for more information read this.....

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Hi, I feel your pain. About two years ago I had a TAB BSO and a mesentery mass removed within the same surgery. The day after surgery, I knew something was wrong with the severity of pain. Before surgery I took no medications and I had no pelvic pain or bowel problems. Since this surgery, I have 24/7 pelvic pain below incision site and around with over 50 ER visits, very little bowel functioning, pelvic floor dysfunction, slow motility and a lot more. My case was horribly mismanaged, I did not get a diagnosis until almost 1 after surgery, I did not get pain management until about a year and I mean quality pain management that now I have to drive over 100 miles to the pain clinic. My PT therapist told me that if I got in PT after surgery "not almost a year and half later" that I would have regained my nerves developing new pathways and better PF strength. I am now doing enemas every day and my specialist is aware, I am on 2 antibiotics for at least six months, and I take at least ten drungs for motility. I rarely take opiates now because they are so constipating so I have learned to live with the pain. The most frustrating part is when I went back to the surgeons, they just appeared puzzled. It has been a long painful road, I cannot work anymore and I used to be a professional clinician myself. These cases are difficult to sue because there were so many medical professionals that did not respond or dismissed me. I have a great therapist that has helped me with my anger and now I am going on a year waiting for disability. My whole life has changed. My advice is to research the surgeons history and even then sometimes mistakes can happen so be your own advocate and keep reaching out for help until you get it. I have permanent damage now I am trying to do anything I can to improve my quality of life.

OOps I mean I had a TAH BSO total abdominal hysterectomy