I am a 32 year old mother of 4 kids. (12, 10, 7 & 22 months) I have had breast tenderness around that time of the month probably almost every month for as long as I can remember. I am currently taking Yasmin28 for birth control and I am in the middle of my cycle. I'm not suppose to start my period for another 10 days. My breast started feeling sore a couple of days ago and it has gotten increasingly worse. They are swollen too. Also, this doesnt feel like it usually does. The only way I can explain it is they feel engorged.......like it feels when you are nursing and it has been 4 or 5 hours since you nursed. I quit nursing my youngest about 11 months ago.

Hi! How long have you been on yasmin? When I first started taking them I also had problem with swollen and tender breast, I experienced cramps when my periods were not due, and I had mood changes. I was really concerned at first because I never thought it could be the pills but when I talked to my doctor she explained that these are common side effects of the pills.

I actually wanted to discontinue them, especially because of the mood changes. I hated it considering I had some previous problems with slight depression.
However, my gyno suggested I wait a bit like for another 2 months and if nothing changes or improves that we could then try another form of contraceptives.

And she was right, gradually the tenderness and the moodiness disappeared.
I also read later that bc pills could even cause breast discharge.

I am 49 and going through menapause. On no pills or drugs. Having big problems with breast soreness and enlargement 10 -15 days per month. Is there a hormone my body isn't making anymore that causes this problem, cyst and tenderness?

Health Advisor
Hello there! Yes, you are right about the missing hormone. One of the most common cause of breast soreness is hormonal imbalance. When you are approaching menopause, levels of estrogen decrease and if they decrease more than progesterone levels decrease, breasts get bigger and swollen and tend to hurt.

Are you experiencing other menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, reduced libido, etc?

All these signs occur due to fall in estrogen levels. Now, if you are interested in avoiding hormonal therapy, there are some things you may try to lose the menopause symptoms and one of them is to change your nutrition and involve so called estrogenic foods into your diet. Some of these foods are soy, apples, alfalfa, cherries, potatoes, rice, wheat, etc.

What would also help is regular exercise. Now, you don’t need aerobics but you could try yoga, which can help you in stress reduction and keep you fit.

Another thing I find useful is acupuncture. Now, this is what has helped me a lot. You should try locating an acupuncturist in your area and see what s/he can do for your troubles. Good luck!