I was dx with polycythemia at age 47.  

I have Rheumatoid arthritis/psoriatic arthritis in which the meds I take require constant blood monitoring.  A pattern emerged and I was sent to a hematologist and diagnosed with polycythemia vera.  Rather shocked as I do not have any symptoms other than some " stuffy head or full head ", not sure how to describe it put its as tho a balloon has been popped once I have a phelbot, everything is a bit clearer. To be honest I didn't even notice until I had my first phelbot.

I have blood phelbots to control my numbers, usually monthly. This for years now. 

Two years ago when I had an eye appointment the optometrist noticed two small bleeds in my peripheral field behind the retina.  

This was reported to my hematologist.

Last week I went back to the optometrist and she found seafan neovasculation in the peripheral feild she believes it has something to do with my PV.  She actually yelled at me and told me I needed to be seen yearly, no one had told me this before.  

Yesterday I saw a md. a ophthalmologist.  He took one look around in my eyes & I now have an appointment with a surgeon who specializes in the retina.  He has seen this before and said it does indeed have to do with PV. He reassured me I will not go blind from this. It's not central thank goodness.

Has anyone had this issue?  Once you have laser surgery to correct this does it need to be repeated?  Do they knock you out because I cannot imagine sitting in a chair with lasers pointed at my eyes without blinking or wiggling! 

Thanks for any input! Have a great day.

I've got to know I have PV 3 years ago and last year, I had surgery for breast cancer even though I didn't have genes for that.  Now, I am schedule to see an ophthalmologist on mid Jan.  So far, Phlebotomy treatments are not working for me well enough and has to live with fear of Brease Cancer may come back, too.  Honestly, I don't which one will hit me first to go...

I also have pv and pMF Just had laser surgery and its not bad at all.However results depends on each person but its over in minutes and its just like an eye test.My next exam is late May and laser can be repeated.Just watch your blood pressure if you have any issues.No knock out needed,Breath relax and its over before you know it.

dx'd P V 1995 and it progressed to MF in 2010. Eye doc appt recently revealed a 8X8 mass on my retina--called a choroidal lesion. Treatment is radioactive materials inserted in mass and a week later retina surgical specialist goes back into the retina mass and removes what's left--think he called it "plaque". Time will tell. (I though it was cataracts.