I had bunion surgery on my left foot last year in May. I still need to have surgery on my right foot. Last time I had a cast for 8 weeks and it was miserable. I was wondering if anyone has had bunion sugery where they did not need a cast. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there! The function of the cast is to help you heal and keep up your foot from getting injured. I also had it, I think that everybody have either a cast or a special orthopedic post-op shoe. It is also needed to keep the toe in its new corrected position and offer support.
I have been told that it is very important to enable proper healing of the corrected toe because it is one of the most important ways to keep the bunions from reoccurring. I wouldn’t play with it, cause I wouldn’t want a bunion back.
I had a prolonged pain after a bunion surgery as well as the swelling that was present for about six months or so after the surgery.
How did your recovery go?

I went to see my podiatrist and I am having an austin bunionectomy on Wednessay. I won't have a cast but I have to walk on my heel for 5 weeks.

I had bunion surgery a week ago on my right foot and I'm still not able to put ANY weight on it.i do have significance swelling and the pain that is very uncomfortable.i was give painkillers(Percocet,Vicodin)but I'm not taking them due to being afraid of becoming addicted.i did go to appt. yesterday and the doctor asked if I was ready to return to work?no way am I ready to return when I work on my feet......hope everything is well for all thank Anne