So after weeks of trying to research information about bunion surgery and Morton's Neuroma surgery, I was frustrated at the lack of detail people provided. For months, I had been in pain due to an inflamed nerve between my 3rd and 4th toe. Then I developed a bunion, while not painful most of the time, still bothered me greatly. I could barely walk because of the neuroma before I decided I had to have the surgery. My surgery was on April 8. Here's a picture of my foot on May 1:

Below is a detailed account of my experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them.

The Surgery/Week 1:

I remember they inserted the IV, wheeled me into the OR, and then I was out. There was no counting down from ten, I just went ZONK! When I woke up, I was told that the surgeon had used one screw to fix the bunion and said that the neuroma was huge.

The general anesthesia made me extremely nauseous. I was able to get down some soda and crackers after the surgery, but felt sick soon after. The wheelchair ride from the hospital bed to the car was horrible because I felt so nauseous. My fiance drove us back to our apartment and I made it about 5 steps from the car on the crutches before I threw up. After not eating for 16 hours, I was surprise about how much came up… it was NOT pleasant.

The first week went well. I kept my foot elevated and stayed in bed 95% of the time except for bathroom visits. Icing it didn’t do very much because the padding and gauze around my foot was so thick. For the first few days I needed help getting the bootie and crutches in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I kept my toes off the ground and all my weight on my heel when walking with the crutches.

For the first day, I recommend sticking with simple foods… like crackers. I tried an English muffin with peanutbutter and strawberries the night of my surgery and promptly threw it back up.

The foot was completely numb for the first 40 hours or so because I asked the surgeon to make it numb as long as possible. I was prescribed Percocet and a strong dose of Ibprofun. The Percocet helped me sleep at night for the first 2 weeks.

Week 2:

The second week was the worst with pain by far. I had severe shooting pains through my big toe and the 3rd/4th toes where the neuroma was removed. This pain was most frequent when I was trying to go to bed (naturally). It was the sort of pain that the painkillers couldn’t touch.

I also experienced severe paint when I went from elevating my foot, to lowering it in order to sit or stand. The blood rushing back to my foot was an even worse pain because it was constant. The only thing that helped was trying to numb it with an ice pack before and during the time I lowered my foot. To be honest, it felt like my foot was going to pop, or that the stitches would burst.

When walking with the crutches, I kept all the weight on my heel in the bootie. The dressing was changed and I could see more of my toes, which were bruised and swollen (which was weird because I had almost zero bruising the first week).

Week 3:

I was able to walk short distances without the crutches, such as to the bathroom, downstairs (carefully), and around the house. For trips to the car, however, I used the crutches as I could get there faster. The bruising/swelling in my second toe all but disappeared this week.

Week 4:

I was able to wear a sneaker and walk without crutches finally. I also had the ends of the stitches removed (they were dissolvable). The doctor advised me to use Mederma and wrap it with Co Band during the day. I walked with a noticeable limp and continued to favor the ball of my foot, walking more on the outside of my foot. The ball of my foot and the area where the neuroma was removed was slightly bruised. My big toe was really stiff. I started physical therapy, which involved some exercises in moving my toes to increase how well I can control and bend them at will.

Week 5/6:

The swelling continued to go down greatly. The passive movement has greatly increased to the point where I barely notice the stiffness of my big toe when walking. The bruising on the ball of my foot decreased and I’m able to walk normally. I still have stiffness when I try to bend my toe, but with physical therapy, it’s improving every week. I feel the scar tissue where the neuroma was removed when I walk in slippers (I wear Tempurpedic slippers, I try never to go barefoot except when showering).

Weeks 7-9:
The surgeon said my foot was healing nicely, and the bone in my big toe had healed completely around the screw and was healing nicely elsewhere.

I continued with physical therapy (twice a week for 4 weeks was what my script was for). My big toe’s range of motion improved 10 degrees and the strength improved greatly. My surgeon advised me that the most important thing to work on was moving my toe in a downward motion so it doesn’t freeze up with scar tissue. He told me that walking would naturally help it with the upward motion. Now that my therapy is done, I have exercises to do at home. I still feel slight stiffness in my big toe when I walk. Still walking to get a full range of motion back.

I’m keeping my foot wrapped in Co Band for compression during the day when I’m out and about. When I take hot showers, I do notice that my foot discolors- it turns purplish, but this immediately goes away when I step out of the shower and sit down to put Mederma on my foot. I still have a small lump of scar tissue where the neuroma was, but I never notice it when I’m in tennis shoes.

There is still some slight swelling, but for the most part, my foot is looking great.

Hey, thank you for sharing the experience with us. I also have experience with it, but I somehow believe that it was more painful than yours. I felt a lot of pain as well, even if I had some bunionette pain relief medication, but I have to say that it didn't work fine for me...or at least not as I expected. Anyway, your scar is pretty fine, mine is really ugly and I can't deal with it. I can't even look at it. I am not sure why did doctor did something bad or not...But I am not satisfied, to be honest. And I was recovering for 10 weeks and today, I still feel some pain at my fingers...Is this normal? 

I am looking at getting a Chevron Bunionectomy on my right foot. I found your review very helpful and very detailed. I really appreciate your input. I was wondering, though about how you feel about it now? How has that worked for you, with how much time has passed? I am also not sure on what type of Bunionectomy you had done? The screw that was put in your foot, is it permanently there? I am being told by my doctor that this surgery will use a screw that will dissolve, I haven't found much information on this though, I am wondering about this dissolving screw. I am thinking I will get a second opinion for sure, besides the fact that I didn't get a great reassuring feeling from the five minute rush that I got from the doctor that I saw. Please let me know if you have any advice on finding a good doctor or any recommendations that I could use. Thank you for helping and getting back to me.
Jessica :-)

I HAD THE SAME SURGERIES ON MY RIGHT FOOT (BUNIONECTOMY WITH A SCREW INSTALLED AND THE REMOVAL OF A NEUROMA BETWEEN THE 3RD AND 4TH TOE). AND AM AT DAY #10. MY MAIN CONCERN IS THE NUMBNESS IN THE FOOT DUE TO THE NEUROMA (NERVE) BEING REMOVED. IT JUST FEELS WEIRD DUE TO THE NUMBNESS AND SWELLING. I BELIEVE IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME AND WHEN THE SWELLING GOES DOWN SOME. I WAS HAVING A STABBING PAIN IN MY GROIN FROM THE NEUROMA, SO I FELT THAT I HAD NO CHOICE BUT THE SURGERY TO REMOVE THE NERVE.

I WAS GIVEN TRAMADOL FOR PAIN, BUT HAD TO CALL THE DOC FOR STRONGER MEDS (HYDROCODONE) ON THE 2ND AND 3RD DAY DUE TO STABBING PAIN AT THE BUNION SITE. THE HYDROCODONE WAS ONLY ADEQUATE. YOUR DOC WAS CORRECT WITH THE PERCODAN. THE PAIN SUBSIDED SOME ON THE 4TH /5TH DAY AND AM NOW BACK TO THE TRAMADOL.

I HAVE BEEN USING THE 1 CRUTCH TO KEEP SOME OF THE WEIGHT OFF THE FOOT AND AM WEARING THE SURGICAL SHOE AT ALL TIMES WHEN WALKING. THE DOC REMINDED ME AT THE 1 WEEK CHECK-UP TO STAY OFF THE FOOT AND KEEP IT ELEVATED AT ALL TIMES!

I WILL HAVE THE STITCHES REMOVED WEEK 3 AND ALSO AM GOING TO HAVE PHYSICAL THERAPY STARTING AT WEEK 4. I BELIEVE THE P.T. IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THE FLEXIBILITY BACK.

AS FOR YOUR SICKNESS AFTER SURGERY, MOST HOSPITALS AND DOCS CAN AND WILL ADD AN ANTI-NAUSEA ADDITIVE (BENEDRIL?) TO THE DRUGS USED TO PUT A PATIENT UNDER. I DID LEARN TO ASK FOR THIS TO ENSURE NO NAUSEA AFTER SURGERY AFTER HAVING A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH A PREVIOUS SURGERY.

I DID HAVE BUNION SURGERY (ONLY THE SHAVING OF THE BUNION) ON THE LEFT FOOT 6 YRS AGO AND IT WENT A LOT QUICKER AND EASIER THAN THIS ONE.

I WILL UPDATE AND MAYBE TAKE A PIC IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO. ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK.

I had a bunionette & neuroma removal surgery 8 months ago and still have alot of pain. Dr. is not sure why, because x-rays look good, so I just tried to wait it out. I went back yesterday and x-rays showed the bone is disappearing around the screw site on one end. He said he hasn't seen that happen before and maybe my body is having a reaction to the metal so am having the screw removed. Has anyone had it done? I want to know real time frames for that to heal, as the surgery was supposed to be a 5-6 week healing process and still wear the boot most days 8 months later! 

I recently had reconstructive surgery from Freiberg’s disease in my 2nd toe, bunionectomy, and a removal of a Morton’s neuroma , all on my right foot, 2 weeks ago today. I was told not to put pressure on my foot for the first couple days, to use crutches, and then I could put pressure on my heel to walk with crutches. Ten days after my surgery I had the stitches removed, I guess since was feeling okay, taking the pain pills and icing it, so I began walking without crutches. What a mistake! My incision started bleeding. It seemed that I was putting too much pressure on it. I got freaked out and immediately called the Dr. who told me to use Neosporin, wrap it and stay off of it. My foot looked swollen and purple and throbbed every time it was not elevated. I had experienced a major setback, because I was in a hurry to heal. It seems that I have a longer time than anticipated to heal. The Dr. says 6 to 8 weeks for the reconstructive bone surgery and 4-6 weeks for the bunionectomy, and neuroma, and possibly physical therapy. I was told that I could drive after 2 weeks; however I do not see this happening for another week or even longer. This is a major disappointment for me. I suppose that I am just now realizing the seriousness of this surgery, and not to be taken lightly.

Has the pain lessened since you got surgery for freibergs infraction? I've been considering surgery but see that there is serious cons with getting it... and I don't want to be in more pain that I am now.

Hope your in less pain after surgery.

Thank you for your detailed story! I had the Neruomas removed from my left foot 3 years ago and the suckers are growing back! I have bunions AND Neuromas on both feet and am thinking of having both feet surgically corrected at the same time. Has anyone had these surgeries and if so, what were your results? My doctor advises his Neruoma patients to wiggle their toes as much as possible to reduce scar tissue...