I have low arch and pronate inward when I walk resulting in bunions which I've had problems with since I was an early adolescent. I had a right foot bunionectomy with 2 screws put in, one straight down the other at an angle in Aug 2000. The bunion came back within the year, doctor was no help post surgery and didn't regain the minimized flexibility in the joint that I have until a year later. I'm ok with the amount of movement I have pointing up and down, however I cannot flex the toe out to the side at all.

It has been found by another doctor that I trust and have been with for a while that the longer screw pointing down is going through the bone after I experienced a popping feeling and more pain than usual (since I've learned to deal with the chronic pain I have in both my feet.)

I am now 25 and scheduled to soon have the screws taken out, however nothing else done because I don't have faith in bunionectomies and it's bad timing. I've been reassured that recovery will not be bad at all and will be in a tennis shoe right away and just can't be on it for like the first couple days.

I am quite skeptical about this since the screws have been in almost 7 years, and I wonder about muscular/ligament/nerve weakening from the previous surgery making this recovery harder.

I think I will eventually need to try the surgery again when I have more recovery time available but feel it is important to get the screws out asap for when I step the wrong way I can feel the sharp stick.

Are the screws coming out really that simple? And has anyone had experience with having hardware removed in over the usual 2 year time frame? Or any experience with repeated surgeries multiple times and harder recoveries?

I have had this procedure done before and getting ready to have it again on the other foot. It's been about 3 years since these srews were put in, now they are bothering me. Rcovery is about 3-4 weeks depending on the person.

3-4 wks just to get screws out?? i'm guessing you mean complete recovery. i'm plannin to be on my feet (in tennis shoes) doin my normal necessary activities 4-5 days after. no standing on feet for long periods of time, but driving and walkin average distances with an expected limp.

such is life. i've been a supa troopa this much livin and dancin on feet that chronically hurt as long as i can remember.

good luck with yours. after this experience i dont ever want hardware in my feet!

Has anyone ever experienced a bone infection after getting screws or any post surgery titanium/metal/whatever removed?

You sound so much like me! I had a double bunionectomy 6 years ago with screws placed in each of my feet. Here I am six years later, age 24 having to go through the complete surgery again! I noticed a bump on my left foot about a year and a half ago (I was pregnant then breast-feeding so I had to put off getting xrays) and just had xrays to reveal that the pin in my left foot was 3/4 of the way out! It is not painful but both bunions returned! I have to get surgery to fix both screws because my dr. feels that they were placed in the wrong location by the dr. who did the surgery originally! Aditionally, I have absolutely NO movement in any of my toes. Can't bend them, can't wiggle, nothing! This is such a hassle because now I have a 1 year old running around and I have to have another double bunionectomy! I don't know what I will do. The first surgery I had, the recovery was so painful. I was off my feet for weeks. I am dreading this. My husband said I should sue the first dr. but it has been 6 years. Do I have a case? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The orthopedic foot surgeon I went with removed a severe bunion and did a fusion on my big toe because he told me if he didn't, the bunion would just grow back. He never explained anything to me either pre or post operatively, or discussed the pros & cons and possible complications. He also put pins in the second and third overlapping toes and now I have no feeling in them -- probably nerve damage, which may or not return. I would never recommend him to anyone and regret that I ever trusted him to perform the complicated surgery on my foot. If I were you, I would look into suing your first doctor. I may consider suing mine for sheer incompetence and non-communication.