Hi, I am 17 years old and in 3 weeks, I'm going to need a bunionectomy. I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever had it done and could tell me what to expect? I'm kind of nervous about it, since I've never needed anything like this before, and especially since I am a figure skater so if someone could tell me asap. Thanks!

Bunionectomy is done with general anesthesia and it is required to stay in hospital for 1-2 days. When you develop bunion, your big toe pressures the second toe and is swollen, you have discomfort when walk and shoes are not fit. I guess that it is important for you if you are skater. Your shoes are going to fit you better. It will take about 6 months to completely recover and be able to skate again. You should have rest, and even avoid driving. You will have bump removed and the bone will be placed in proper position. After that you’ll have to have plaster for next 6 weeks. The problem is that many people experience pain long after the surgery, some even have the swelling for that long. Not everybody is lucky to have a quick and good recovery. I think that you should talk to a podiatrist who is going to do your surgery especially because you are a skater. You wouldn’t want to be prevent from skating if your healing doesn’t go as planned.

Is it common that they get a 1-2 hospital stay? I was told a few weeks ago that I would go into the hospital in the morning and then leave after the surgery was done. Do they minimize the pain? I heard some people say they got pain for months afterward, do they usually give you something so you don't feel anything? I go for my pre-op on Wednesday and I will ask him all of this then, but I am just really nervous now.

I suppose hospital stay depends on a hospital or how the surgery goes. You may spend the night, or go home that day. You won’t feel a thing during the surgery and you will be given painkillers after the surgery, that is for sure. You may get the stronger ones at first, and go onto the milder ones as time passes and you start to heal.

You need to understand that it may take months for you to fully recover. For the first few weeks, you will be moving just around the house and won’t be able to go shopping for example.

You will have a plaster cast on your foot and you need to make sure not to make it wet, not to bang it or cut it. In case you start experiencing pins and needles or numbness in your toes, if your feet go blue, become swollen, if you are unable to move them, then you should go back to hospital and have it checked. These symptoms usually indicate that something went wrong, that there is an infection, or problems with the nerves or blood vessels. I honestly can’t say when you will be able to go back skating, I think this is individual, but I don’t think it will be soon after the surgery.

Tell me, what kind of problems are you having now with the bunions? Do they hurt, do you have troubles with your skating shoes or skating in general, walking, etc? I am interested in reason you want to have this surgery. Hope to hear from you!

Well, I never really noticed there was a problem until I was skating and everytime I did, my feet would hurt. I always thought my feet looked awful and weird so I went to the doctor about it who said I had terrible bunions. When he told me what they were, I've basically had them forever. I wanted to skate without any pain though, so he said this was the way to go.

Ok, this may be your way to go but i wish you did some more research about the recovery from bunionectomy. I ran into this link, so i reckon you should check it.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/bunion-surgery-gone-bad&highlight=

Also, ask your doctor about the recovery period and what he thought when you could go back to skating and if there was a way that you may experince some complications and have to put off skating for a long time becasue i was reading that it took quite a whie for some people to get rid of post op pain. Some of them had pain even a year after.

Considering you need to be pain-free to skate........i would ask more questions about it. I am not trying to scare you or anything, i just think that you should go through all possible options and then decide.

Hey,

There is no need to worry. I had my right foot done back in 99 and was scared to death because it was the first time I ever had surgery. Came through with no problems and believe it or not, no pain afterwards. I didnt even take my pain meds. I have 2 permanent screws and had 2 pins in my toe. The pins were the only bad thing because when I bumped them, it hurt. I am having my left foot done in a few days and I am suppose to only have 2 screws this time and no pins. You will be glad you had it done. No more pain. Hope this eases your mind some. Good luck

Guest wrote:

CDJinnyFan wrote:

Hey,

I agree with the above person. I took my vicodin out of sheer boredom, but not because of pain I am so happy I had the surgery; it has been a lot better than the bunions themselves were, for years.