I had a second bunion surgery on my left foot 12 1/2 years ago. In the last month I have noticed a raised area on my foot near the site where a screw was used. It is progressively getting higher. It is not painful to the touch, but is very painful when putting on shoes. I am limited to one pair that I can get on right now. Is the only solution to have it surgically removed?

HAve you been told that the screw is loose?! Because these are surgical screws and after 12 years your bone would hve TOTALLY joined and grew around it! IF you are having problems and haven't been told about the screw - it COULD be something bone going on! My son has had MANY screws put in his hips and legs, and we thought the exact same thing last year = that a screw was loose - it wasn't it was the collapsing of a joint1 Have you had an xray? If not you need one!

I had this surgery 10 years ago, although my were pinned not screwed, and had the same thought after discovering a small, painful lump that felt like the pin protruding. I was referred back to my chiropodist and it was a small piece of bone that had overgrown the pin. I did need a further op to 'shave' off the excess bone but only because it was causing me pain.
If you're concerned I would visit your doctor for an x-ray or to be referred back to your surgeon.

I had it done in 2011, and 6 months later, a screw came loose on my right foot, which I had done first, and the doctor took it out in his office, now TWO are coming out in my left foot, and I have to go in surgery to remove them, AND the plate, I can feel All of that now, especially when the weather changes. And the left foot still need to be redone to shorten second toe, and straighten big toe. I'm VERY frustrated, because I can't get affordable insurance for it now. Is he still responsible to fix this???

I had a screw inserted when I had a bunionette removal over 5 years Ago. It managed to work its way out last week. Had it removed through a simple but rather urgent operation that only required local anesthetic and sedation. But, yes, confirm through an xray. Mine was incredibly obvious not only because of the excruciating pain, but through imaging. Good luck!

Hi,I never write on these things but I have a question?

i had bunion surgery around 7 years ago I've had no problems after surgery and was a great success. But the past week or so I've had painful lump on top of my scar. It's sore when I put shoes on and aches most days. i have pins in my foot but don't know if they are loose or if it's bone! it would be great if someone could msg me back if they have had the same sort of thing! Many thanks 

Ann

I have the same issue. Bunion op on both sides of both feet 9 years ago. All of a sudden a screw worked its way out and broke skin and now infected. Coming out tomorrow thank goodness

I know it's a year later, I had the same, Doctor took the screw out but I have to pay the bill. The doctors office told me that 70% of inserted screws come loose, it's not the Doctors fault