I have bunions on my right and left feet, and they both are going behind my second toes. They are not very painful (mostly because I am used to them), and I have inserts, but they still bother me. I want to be able to walk around in flip flops, even open-toed heels, and not be self conscious about my ugly angled feet. I am 19 and in college and was wondering if it is worth it for me to get surgery. I heard that it takes a long time to recover from the surgery and there is a chance of the bunions coming back. Please tell me your advice!! Thank you!!

Hello! The only thing someone can tell you are your options and what may be expected but you are the only one who has to make that final decision. I know how you must feel about wanting to wear open-toed heels or just to feel good about your feet.

Every operation carries its risks, so does this one. The risks of this surgery are recurrent bunions, joint stiffness, malalignment, and joint pain. The main problem with the surgery is prolonged pain many people experience after this kind of surgery and although they may feel satisfied the way bunions were removed, some of then can’t do long walks a long after their surgeries. This doesn’t mean you will go through the same thing but there is a possibility.

On the other hand, other people have a lot better experiences. It seems that it helps if a person applies a lot of ice on the foot, keeps it elevated and takes painkillers especially for the first couple of weeks following the surgery and slowly resumed their activities. Most of them used crunches at first, along with boots but managed to recover at six weeks time. This of course was not a full recovery as many feel the swelling, discomfort and stiffness months after.

I reckon that the most important thing is to find a good surgeon, who is considerate and who will advise you on your recovery and also who will help you decide if the benefits outweigh the risks.

who is the best surgeon to use in the uk?

I also have bunions, although not as extreme. I've found that standing poses in yoga have helped to bring my big toe back toward center. This, of course, is after 3 years of training. Nonetheless, I've seen an improvement and still work to spread my toes. The trick is to learn proper body alignment, which can only come from experience.

I had an austin bunionectomy two weeks ago. I am partial weight bearing. Using one crutch and have the surgical shoe on for 8 weeks. got my stitches out today. I have minimal swelling because I kept my foot elevated. The pain was never bad at all. You just have to be patient and deal with being laid up in bed for a couple of weeks with minimal mobility. It really isn't that bad. I had my other foot done 3 yrs ago and it was worth it.

Has anyone out there gotten a bunionectomy done recently? I am considering getting both of my bunions removed at the same time (and just sucking it up and being bed-ridden for the 6-8 weeks), but all of the forums and blogs I have read are from at least 7-10 years ago. I know that technology and medical procedures have changed since then, so I am hoping for more positive result stories than all of the horror stories I have been reading on the old blogs....

Your responses are much appreciated!