Hi...I'm 14 years old and I have Bunions on both feet. They don't hurt or anything but my mother says I should get the surgery done now so that they don't get any worse. My mother had bunions and got them removed so I guess this is hereditary. I really want to get the surgery as well because I want to be able to walk in flip-flops and cute sandels without having to feel embarrased about my feet, but I'm scared that It will hurt very badly. Can someone please give me some advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hello there! I think it is too early for you to have a bunion surgery now. The thing is that these bunions (in childhood) are not the same as those that appear in adulthood and white it may be true that they will grow more and hurt later, it is still not recommendable to have surgery now. The reason lies in the fact that your bones haven’t reached full growth yet and that the surgery may be more difficult than it should.

Maybe you could see a podiatrist and have your bunions looked at. I am sure that surgery won’t be recommended at this point especially because they don’t hurt. Only severe bunions that effect teenagers and restrict them from every day’s activities should be managed surgically.

Usually the surgery alone doesn’t facilitate the normal look of the foot but rather alleviates the pain and narrows the foot.

Your doctor may make suggestions depending on your age and general health, severity of the problem, tolerance for the drugs and surgeries, etc….
For the time being, your doc may suggest proper fitting shoes that wouldn’t make much pressure on the toes.

hello! i certainly hope you have not gone through with the surgery yet and if so please let me know how you are doing. i was 19 when i had my worse one done, and saw a doctor for the first time for mine when i was 14 so i completely understand where you are coming from hun.

the thing is when we have problems with them so young they are obviously a result more from the structure of our feet and the way we walk. also your bones are still growing and is very very easy for them to come right back, as did with me. i'm now 25 and have to get the screws taken out from the surgery i had 7 yrs ago which did not help my problem at all, because one is going through the bottom of my bone.

i've seen 4 doctors, and the one who is taking the screw out is not the same one who did the surgery, he is the one who told me not to do it when i was 14!

i know it is an embarassing issue you have no idea how much this, especially post surgery, has limited me in wearing shoes i would like. but trust me, you don't want to try and get a quick fix. it won't be quick!

doctors do not have experience at all in doing this is teenagers and the best bet is to wait as long as possible and expect to not be on your feet for a little while after the surgery. it's also best to see several orthopedic podiatry doctors to get several opinions. just because one sounds like he knows what he's doing doesn't mean he does.

bunions run in my family as well and my mother is the one who found the doctor for me to have surgery when i was 19. it is something i deeply regret and hope you do not make the same mistake. make sure you research any doctor you consider having surgery from.

you probably have low arch and may pronate or roll inward as i do when i walk. it's so much more than just the bunion and even when you get em fixed must make sure you are in proper fitting shoes and/or orthotics to keep them from coming back as they commonly do when from structure problems and not from older age and lifestyle choices such as high heels.

i am a kinesiology graduate, previous dancer (after the bunions), previous aerobics instructor/personal trainer, and have worked as a physical therapist aide. i definitely don't consider myself an expert but am trying to say i know a little bit about what i'm talking about and i sincerely hope you are not pressured by your mother, a "quick fix" doctor, or insecurities about how they look/shoe fitting to make a mistake now that you will most probably regret later.

at least wait until you are an adult sweetie, it can be quite complex and change a lot for you. focus more enjoying all you can do with your healthy body than this insignificant thing right now.

p.s. i cannot run at all and am hoping i can get back into phsyical activity once the screws come out, if all heals well.

take care

The growth plate had just closed in my foot, and it really was no question whether or not to get the surgery. My mom had it done as well. Thought I would have to get it done eventually so I did it. HUGE MISTAKE! Can't walk for long periods of time, the outsides of my feel oddly disconnected and click. Better yet I am now 28 and find myself at a job in which I have no health insurance. I really would like to get to a podiatrist, but I have no excess cash because I am paying over 900.00 a month in student loans. Life is great! Wait for surgery your feet are too important to mess with!

NEVER SEE A PODIATRIST - ALWAYS SEE AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEAN -- IT MATTERS!!! A LOT --- WHY BC IN BUNION SURGERY THE SCARS ARE ON TOP WITH A PODIATRIST AND ON THE SIDE - DISCRETELY WITH AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEAN...

AND ORTHOPEDIC SURGEANS HAVE A LOT MORE SCHOOLING THAN PODIATRISTS!!!

Well this is my story. I never thought i'd acually be doing this. My bother would be laughing at me. Well ever since the second grade i did begin seeing changes in my feet. Especially over the fact that I was having my first communion and in my new shoes i noticed bumps forming on the sides of my feet. surprisingly my parents didn't think it was anything. The only problem they saw was that my feet was getting flatter. They thought it was because of my not wearing sandals in the house.-NOT TRUE. This was a damn hereditary problem but its a mystery were it comes from because me and my bother have it...and thats it. Not even my great grandparents. It wasn't until the sixth grade where I actually showed my feet to a doctor and he recommended that I wore orthopedic pads in my school shoes to bring the arch of my foot back to normal because i did attend a private school. While my mom was putting close to $200 up front I was shaking my head because the foot pad showed the outline of my horrific feet. So i threw them in the corner of my room [so got yelled at!!lmao] ANyway I continued with my life without the pads.

In highschool, sophmore year I joined and currently still am on track. But now its the summer time and i had a job, there is this dress code you must follow. My mom and her smart ideas bought me these new shoes.....man, lets just say i couldn't walk home from the train station. These muthers messed up, and I MEAN MESSED UP my right bunion. And this was about 3 weeks ago. I never wore the shoe again but i still feel the pain when i'm walking and when i finish running at practice. It's unbearable. But my mom suggested that I should get my surgery next year. But there is no way I can stop running. I LOVE Track....but I would also LOve to be wearing sandles to the beach, to the park and even to prom. But from that story posted up before me, I don't think that will even be possible. I'm going into my junior year and ima be 16 an anyone at all tell me whats the BEST thing to do.. That WON't interfere with track???

- LOVERzz
runner girl

hi! i am 17 years old and had bunion surgery 8 weeks ago. i was told a few years ago that i would need this surgery, and had a few x-rays until the doctor was sure my feet had stopped growing. At 14 i would say your feet still have some more growing to do, but if i were you i would listen to your doctor and make your decision on the information he/she gives you- after all it is their profession and probably know what it best for you!

also, as you mentioned flip flops...i personally still can't wear them yet after the surgery but i am back into normal shoes! for me the most painful part of the whole experience was when the ankle block wore off and i had to have the pain meds changed as they did not work for me. so far the process has been long and annoying as i usually play alota sports! but i think it has definatly been worth it- very neat scar on the side of the foot and the toe looks much better! the other day i managed to walk a mile uphill but then had a little pain and had to rest for a while. good luck for if/ when you do have the surgery :-)

I have the same exact problem. I'm also 14. This was posted over a year ago, so if you did end up getting them removed, I would REALLY appreciate you telling me how it went. Everyone in my school wears cute sandals and flip-flops, and I can never do that because my feet embarrass me. I've even cried about it, and I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm afraid the surgery will go wrong, and I do not want to wait even LONGER before I get them removed. I've heard the surgery will cause me to possible have bad nutrition, and even make my toe look abnormally SHORTER. Help!!! I can't take it anymore!!! 10 years I've been worrying about this!! Please help me!!:_(

i have he same thing but im am 14 and my bunions hurt what should i do?